My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hope his ankle has healed

*Tears knee ligament rounding second base*

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's because they think they're smarter than actual coaches.
    maybe one (or a couple) of them coached their 9 year old's son to a YMCA league le.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the memories Derrick

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It had to be done but I'm going to miss this 6 head mofo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He will help Boston a lot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He will help Boston a lot.
    hope not get that pick higher

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Wow, and Young and Primo are 13th and 12th in minutes played this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watching him play with the Celtics now. Man, it must suck to play for them. Barely no passing, guys just tunnel vision all the time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watching him play with the Celtics now. Man, it must suck to play for them. Barely no passing, guys just tunnel vision all the time.

gonna suck being third fiddle behind tatum/brown

Tim to Tony to Manu! bdictjames's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    gonna suck being third fiddle behind tatum/brown
    White just had something like 15 points and 6 assists with having the highest +/- of the team.

And this was against the Nuggets. I've been frequenting Celtics boards and they love this guy already.

I don't think Derrick has that much ego to care tbh, and that's what made him Spurs material. Gonna miss him out there but hopefully he helps his new team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White just had something like 15 points and 6 assists with having the highest +/- of the team.

And this was against the Nuggets. I've been frequenting Celtics boards and they love this guy already.

I don't think Derrick has that much ego to care tbh, and that's what made him Spurs material. Gonna miss him out there but hopefully he helps his new team.
    Agreed. At worst he will still get the same numbers he did with the Spurs with the Celtics. i don't see him caring about Tatum and Brown getting most of the shots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's not a mater of ego, it's a matter of how Tatum and Brown play the game. I don't think their kindergarten coaches ever told them passing is a good thing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. At worst he will still get the same numbers he did with the Spurs with the Celtics. i don't see him caring about Tatum and Brown getting most of the shots.

DW's character is what has made him a great glue guy but not lead player.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DW's character is what has made him a great glue guy but not lead player.
    He's suitable to be a good third or fourth option.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh man Boston got a pretty good player. Looks like DWhite would have a 6th man role and leading Boston's bench like Manu did for the Spurs for a long time.

I am not sure we can find another DWhite with Boston's first round pick but hopefully we got something from Josh Rich and Langford.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I liked White, and I hate to see him go. He was a victim of a poorly constructed roster, and I think he'll be solid in Boston.

But I hope this is the end of the Spurs' love affair with players who have funny-shaped heads.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White played a good game in his debut

He played the entire 4th quarter too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Celtics playing great in his Celtics debut, even closing the game. I wish him well

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think forcing White to play a SG, and ultimately a 2nd fiddle to Murray tamed him as he started to defer too much, no longer that aggressive rookie he was before. Tonight, he played as a PG in the 2nd unit, and even got to close the game for them. I’m happy for him, and wish him continued good health, and ultimately shine in his new team. The Celtic fans welcomed him and rooted him tonight. Way to go Derrick!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great article in The Athletic on him (sorry for paywall, sharing an excerpt). Having a huge impact on Boston’s success:

https://theathletic.com/4270359/2023...shared_article

Though the traditional box score will leave no sign of White’s impact on the play, the NBA does have a statistical category that will reward him. Later on, his father, Richard — a “stat nerd,” according to his son — will scan the league’s defensive tracking data to monitor the game’s contested shots and other hustle metrics.It’s perfect, really, that White’s dad owns such an appreciation for the numbers that go deeper than points, rebounds and assists. Though Derrick has never been one of the NBA’s leading scorers, his impact has always been seen more clearly in advanced statistics. In this case, a math wiz raised a darling of modern basketball analytics.
    “People always say, ‘Oh yeah, the eye test,’” says Richard. “Well, the eye test is biased. Because if you like a person, no matter what they do, you can’t talk them out of it. So, the numbers are the numbers. The results are the results.”

This season, the numbers rank White as one of the most impactful players on one of the NBA’s best teams. The
    Celtics have outscored opponents by 342 total points during his playing time, putting him at sixth in the league in overall plus/minus. Of course, that is dictated largely by team success, which is why the top-six solely includes players from the Nuggetsand Celtics. Still, Boston has been about an average team this season with White on the bench. When he’s on the court, the Celtics have blasted opponents by 10.5 points per 100 possessions. Their offensive efficiency and defensive efficiency have both jumped significantly with White in the lineup.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think forcing White to play a SG, and ultimately a 2nd fiddle to Murray tamed him as he started to defer too much, no longer that aggressive rookie he was before. Tonight, he played as a PG in the 2nd unit, and even got to close the game for them. I’m happy for him, and wish him continued good health, and ultimately shine in his new team. The Celtic fans welcomed him and rooted him tonight. Way to go Derrick!
    White had a million chances to be an “alpha” as you would describe it and he failed every damn time. Brick after brick to the point his 3pt shot would go un-guarded. Everytime Murray was down and his name was called he failed. He’s in a great situation now but similar to Keldon and Vassell he is a glue guy. Nothing more.
    Last edited by KingKev; 03-04-2023 at 11:46 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Congrats to Fivehead on making the All-Defense team!

That's two #29 picks (Murray and White) who the Spurs helped form into All-Defense level players

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Congrats to Fivehead on making the All-Defense team!

That's two #29 picks (Murray and White) who the Spurs helped form into All-Defense level players
    That's awesome for Derrick. Celtic fans think a lot of him, and he's played great for them. Congrats!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well deserved. Hes outplayed Smart on that team, who is looking more and more like the odd man out there.

Thread Information