Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyways here's Danny stating rook White reminds him of himself!!
    Clearly White's skillset is quite different from Danny's. And Danny's at ude early in the league was actually a real problem. I can't see any comparison between the two being positive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clearly White's skillset is quite different from Danny's. And Danny's at ude early in the league was actually a real problem. I can't see any comparison between the two being positive.
    White is supposedly a good defender and shooter. I theorized that they drafted White to be Green 2.0, so it's possible they have him working on those skills right now rather than PG skills. If that's the case, Green would probably see things that remind him of his early practices.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see why White would go to the d-league. He doesn't have a ton to work on. Sure, he still has things he could do to get better, but he already has his NBA body and a pretty complete game. With Murray green and Mills limited, he seems like a good candidate for that fifth-guard role.
    We shall see. This is Danny talking not some coach so I can be way off getting misled by Danny. But Danny led me to believe White is still looking for a role to play. (I believe all guys are developing at different paces anyways until they are around 27-28 when they tend to peak, but it was the having to find a role statement that threw me off).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White is supposedly a good defender and shooter. I theorized that they drafted White to be Green 2.0, so it's possible they have him working on those skills right now rather than PG skills. If that's the case, Green would probably see things that remind him of his early practices.
    I think that's a good assessment too.
    It makes sense that they need another perimeter defender right away with JSimms departure and focus on defense for White could be paramount. Danny's understudy?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that's a good assessment too.
    It makes sense that they need another perimeter defender right away with JSimms departure and focus on defense for White could be paramount. Danny's understudy?
    He does block a lot of shots.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You know more about White than I do. I thought he was going to be a combo guard rather than a full-time 2.

It would have been funny to have the Spurs sign Wade, they would have three of the best shot-blocking SGs in the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You know more about White than I do. I thought he was going to be a combo guard rather than a full-time 2.

It would have been funny to have the Spurs sign Wade, they would have three of the best shot-blocking SGs in the league.
    I'm just going off RC saying they were most excited about White's defensive an athletic ceiling and him playing almost exclusively as a wing in the summer league, which as my pal ceds knows is absolutely definitive. I don't think he has the same defensive ceiling as Green, as his arms are shorter. That affects his ability to get chase-down blocks. But he should still be able to guard three positions well if he play better.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derrick White will be 27 years old when Pity Mills' contract runs out. Sad!
    "Derrick White will only be 27 years old when Pity Mills' contract runs out. Great!"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was clear from the jump, that they didn't draft White to be a PG. Couldn't have, with Parker, Mills and Murray, entrenched.

Next season or whenever Ginobili retires, White will be in compe ion with Murray (who'd play PG on offense) and Paul for backup SG minutes. Long term, they're obviously hoping Murray develops into a starting PG and White the backup SG.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was clear from the jump, that they didn't draft White to be a PG. Couldn't have, with Parker, Mills and Murray, entrenched.

Next season or whenever Ginobili retires, White will be in compe ion with Murray (who'd play PG on offense) and Paul for backup SG minutes. Long term, they're obviously hoping Murray develops into a starting PG and White the backup SG.
    The Spurs usually attack with surplus. They have a guard problem right now, just as they did in 2012, just like they have a wing problem until like 2011. I think they have high hopes for Murray, but they don't consider him as having filled a need yet. And I don't disagree that White's skill-set suits him more as a sixth man than anything else. But Murray could also be a future partner for Mills who can come in and play with White as well. They are going to duke it out, as that's the best way to fill the hole given the minimal resources they've spent on it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i just checked brogden's summer league 2016 stats.

He was terrible in 2 games & didn't blow anyone away in the other 3 which gives me some hope with white.

if he can't hold down a small rotation spot (8 mins?) minimum as a polished rookie i think that will be a Reg Flag.

Like DJ we need to find out sooner rather then later if white is going to be a long term running mate during Kawhi's prime.

Bertan's (i think) has won Pop over as a long term piece on the team (Bonner role at worst) and the spurs will do their best to keep him when the time comes imo.

Anderson is the guy i have no clue about.....i agree with many that he should start the season because if he can shoot he's a necessary piece to have in a G/S & OCK series but if he's still hesitating and he cant stretch the floor (i.e defenders still leaving him & baiting us to pass) then how much time should he be given before enough is enough going with another option (Gay/Bertan's)?. I hope Kyle come out swinging and just fire's away with no conscience....his career is on the line basically and its what we need to see from him so what's he have to lose (aside from millions of dollars )? If not i'd go in another direction by Feb at the latest.
    Last edited by ceds; 10-01-2017 at 08:30 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also don't necessarily think the Green presser means that White is regulated to just the 2 spot this season.

I take it as Green has officially been given the "Mentor" role to White. Makes sense as they are both 4 year college players and my projection for White is an elite level role player (Just like Green) in a best case scenario.

I expect that if white can run any P&R whatsoever at the pro level like he did in college then he will have some opportunities to do the same in game.....as for a real pg....no....
    Last edited by ceds; 10-01-2017 at 08:31 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW is the OP a troll or is that his legit take?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmm I immediately thought he's going to the dleague and is going to be buried by Pop until he figures out what he wants him to be. I hope he does have Danny's fate and not Kyle's fate. To be versatile not necessarily a plus for Pop. He needs to find a niche pronto. We might not see what it is until next season... unless the roof is on fire you know!
    This. He doesn't necessarily need to be versatile but need to be Green's understudy. Green has made a career as a 3 and D.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This. He doesn't necessarily need to be versatile but need to be Green's understudy. Green has made a career as a 3 and D.
    Yes. He might be more versatile offensively than Danny. I saw him in a couple of drives and he has a better handle than Danny did at comparable age, but I am guessing Pop wants to see him play and see what he does really well to fit him in the system. They may just not know much about how he will play at this level. I don't know enough about him yet. He didn't look lost though. He looked pretty solid for a rookie.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

nice game. highlights include both offense and defense.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 12-11-2017 at 08:16 PM.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing porker fluffer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even a double deckr fatburgr is better than mills

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm convinced. He is, indeed, better than Fatty Mills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even a double deckr fatburgr is better than mills
    Is it? I was under the impression that they're the same thing.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate to be that guy, but...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP with the truth nukes tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too bad White will ride the bench behind Fatty then get benched entirely once TP comes back "better than ever" no matter how good he may or may not be.

Wasted pick.
    damn this too.....but no credit for op because Mills is a d league level talent being paid for the patina of corporate knowledge , air bud is a smarter basketball player than fatty tank

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's pretty good when Spurs down by 20. Maybe he's the next Matt Bonner?

Thread Information