My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

that

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why doesn't the MLB bury these ing things? They don't need to be stinking out like that.

Or or go back to the good old timey sand bags. Lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why doesn't the MLB bury these ing things? They don't need to be stinking out like that.

In all honestly, a flat base would probably be worse since a fielder wouldn't be able to plant his foot at the edge of the bag or feel for it without looking. The result would be a higher incidence of baserunners running over and injuring the ankles of fielders.

A softer bag is definitely an idea. But I'm not sure if that would result in more twisted ankles and blown out knees, since you'll be running full speed and then suddenly hit a depression, kind of like running over a soft patch of grass. Knee always buckles.

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

Not really feasible. I played first base way back when, and you have to feel for the edge of the bag and then you can safely put your foot there so that the runner has room. If it's flat, you don't always know where to put your foot and this would result in being in the runner's space which is very dangerous.

I've never even seen an injury like this ever so this is flukey IMO. From what is sounds like, the base was slippery from the rain and they shouldn't have been out there anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just a bone bruise. He should be good by the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not really feasible. I played first base way back when, and you have to feel for the edge of the bag and then you can safely put your foot there so that the runner has room. If it's flat, you don't always know where to put your foot and this would result in being in the runner's space which is very dangerous.

I've never even seen an injury like this ever so this is flukey IMO. From what is sounds like, the base was slippery from the rain and they shouldn't have been out there anyway.
    Pretty simple solution tbh. Double level bases. It's a normal size base but with a tapered edge that runs 5" off the regular base. The runner has to step on the regular base but the fielder only has to touch the leveled part.

Thread Information