Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It doesn't need to be in quotes. States rights are a solid concept ingrained into the Cons ution. But yea, you are a bit of a buzzkill.
    Sure states have rights in the cons ution.

But it wasn't "states rights" made the South attack the North. It was over slavery. The South was very clear about that in their direct Declarations of Secession. Kind of hard to say "states rights" when that phrase is completely absent from the do ents, but multiple mentions of "negro bondage" pop up.

Texas abandoned her separate national existence and consented to become one of the Confederated Union to promote her welfare, insure domestic tranquility and secure more substantially the blessings of peace and liberty to her people. She was received into the confederacy with her own cons ution, under the guarantee of the federal cons ution and the compact of annexation, that she should enjoy these blessings. She was received as a commonwealth holding, maintaining and protecting the ins ution known as negro slavery - the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits - a relation that had existed from the first settlement of her wilderness by the white race, and which her people intended should exist in all future time. Her ins utions and geographical position established the strongest ties between her and other slaveholding States of the confederacy. ...
    "Negroes should be kept in bondage forever."

http://www.civil-war.net/pages/texas_declaration.asp

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At some point, the South was going to be forced, by the terms it agreed to, to give up slavery as there would eventually be a cons utional amendment against it, and certainly explicit federal laws against it.
    You suck at history (in addition to politics) if you think a cons utional amendment was in the works. That said, I have said that certain changes in economy could have made slavery less tenable and subject to abandonment.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The racism in Gen. Kelly’s Civil War comments runs deep in the strand of evangelicalism that helped elect Trash

“Honorable” is not apt label for a slaveholding traitor,

Kelly’s opinion shocked many, but for others it invoked a familiar framework about the Civil War that protects white supremacy and which is at the core of one of the most influential strands of today’s evangelicalism: the strand that help elect Donald Trump.

On twitter, as part of the #emptythepews hashtag, ex-evangelical @toriglass wrote, “to be honest, evangelicals never stopped debating whether slavery was actually bad.”

The war was framed as a theological conflict in which Southern culture was an expression of a Godly civilization battling against a materialistic “humanistic” one.

These were not “fringe views” in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, throughout which almost all white American Christians supported slavery and understood it as completely compatible with the Bible

nineteenth-century Southern Presbyterian theologian, R.L Dabney. Dabney wrote extensively also against women’s rights and universal suffrage.

By the time Dabney’s work was revived in the twentieth century by R.J. Rushdoony (about whom I wrote here), the explicit defense of slavery had moved to the fringes in favor of vigorous defense of segregation—but its racist undercurrents persisted.

By the end of the twentieth century, theologian Doug Wilson repeated Dabney’s and Rushdoony’s proslavery arguments in his book Southern Slavery as It Was (co-authored with League of the South Board member Steve Wilkins)

Wilson travels in circles with the most prominent of Reformed Christian leaders (here is an example in which he appears with well-known theologian and popular John Piper).

Back in 2009 historian Molly Worthen noted Wilson’s transition from the far right fringe into the mainstream of American Evangelicalism.

And until Doug Phillips lost his business and his ministry (in a scandal surrounding his inappropriate interactions with his nanny in 2014) he was one of the most important home school leaders in the country.

evangelicals influenced by this Southern Presbyterianism have sought to carefully lay out the limits of the places in which the text permits slavery—

claiming that most of biblical slavery was temporary as a result of debt or war, or that it was “voluntary.”

If you dig deep in their work you find that only “pagans” can be forced into perpetual slavery—though of course for them that’s any group not understood as Christian on their rather narrow terms.

A generation of evangelical kids in Christian schools and home schools were taught aspects of this narrative about the Civil War and America slavery.

It went mainstream with David Barton, Glenn Beck and the rise of the Tea Party, and has now found a home in the West Wing with V.P. Mike Pence and numerous members of the cabinet.

But while you have to dig deep to find the really ugly stuff, much of it goes no deeper than “there were good people on both sides.”

The rest often remains unspoken.

evangelicalism is silencing criticism within its own ranks as part of its Faustian bargain with Donald Trump, as some 80% of them voted for him.

And over the last fifty years obscure factions within the evangelical tradition laid the groundwork for the mainstreaming of what were previously fringe views about race, about the South, and about the civil War.

That evangelicalism is deeply implicated in white supremacy gets clearer by the day.

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/11/the...e+Raw+Story%29

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    That was relatively easy....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    heritage not hate

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tarrant Co. GOP kicked Islamophobe bigots in the nuts last night, Confederate plaque is out of the Capital today.

Good times.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tarrant Co. GOP kicked Islamophobe bigots in the nuts last night, Confederate plaque is out of the Capital today.

Good times.
    White nationalist in the White House still threatening to seize king powers in the name of an emergency, and if he threatens it he will probably try to do it.

Bad times.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fair enough

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Mercifully right now his lawyers are seeing no way to win this battle. That’s why they’re pushing the national security narrative so strongly, along with graham and other select safe senators and congressmen

Add the fact that there are still enough r congresspeople and senators that would have to answer for this that it’s going to take awhile longer to message enough to take the step. Of course they will still keep the government shut down over a bull lie for now. In the next couple months when people really start hurting, it will be interesting to see what propaganda they use to keep the sheep in line.

It also allows them to push back tax returns a while too. Keep people from seeing what the new tax bill really did to poor and working poor and lower middle class people.
    Not to mention the FBI stopped receiving paychecks as a result of the shut down. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if this wasn't a major driver.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White nationalist in the White House still threatening to seize king powers in the name of an emergency, and if he threatens it he will probably try to do it.

Bad times.

If he's a white nationalist, he sure sucks at it

* Passed criminal justice reform
    * Designated MLK birthplace as national historic park
    * Commuted sentence of Alice Marie Johnson and posthumously pardoned Jack Johnson

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

* Commuted sentence of Alice Marie Johnson and posthumously pardoned Jack Johnson
    You're right, he does suck at it since he's not going to get his wall. LOL pardoning a dead guy, signing an already veto-proof piece of legislation, pardoning someone as a favor to Kanye's wife, and making MLK's house a national park being some great accomplishments for race relations.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Seriously Darrin, who gave you this list?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Seriously Darrin, who gave you this list?
    ThingsWhiteNationalistsWouldNeverDo.com

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    No heritage
    No tradition
    No allegiance

Avoid building the Wall so you can escape

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How is the wall, the constant whining about caravans, and caging kids not just pure racist white nationalism when it's already established how much Trump loves illegal immigration in his businesses?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How is the wall, the constant whining about caravans, and caging kids not just pure racist white nationalism when it's already established how much Trump loves illegal immigration in his businesses?
    We simply cannot allow people to pour into the U.S., undetected, undo ented, unchecked.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    ThingsWhiteNationalistsWouldNeverDo.com

I said seriously, Darrin.

Where did you get this Trump=Lincoln list?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    We simply cannot allow people to pour into the U.S., undetected, undo ented, unchecked.
    We don't.

Is there a crisis on the border, Darrin?

Yes or no.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forgot to credit source

“We simply cannot allow people to pour into the U.S., undetected, undo ented, unchecked and cir venting the line of people who are waiting patiently, diligently, lawfully to become immigrants in this country” — 2005, Senator Barack Obama.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.businessinsider.com/migr...plained-2018-5

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Forgot to credit source

“We simply cannot allow people to pour into the U.S., undetected, undo ented, unchecked and cir venting the line of people who are waiting patiently, diligently, lawfully to become immigrants in this country” — 2005, Senator Barack Obama.
    And we don't.

Is there a crisis on the border, Darrin?

Yes or no.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Darrin's answer to every question is "Black President."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Darrin's answer to every question is "Black President."
    Obama, Hillary, and Biden voted for 2006 secure fence act. Are they white nationalists?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Obama, Hillary, and Biden voted for 2006 secure fence act. Are they white nationalists?
    Nope.

Is there a crisis at the border, Darrin?

Yes or no.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Why is it necessary to separate families and to cage kids? There’s plenty of ways to enforce against illegal immigration without doing that.

Thread Information