Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can you explain how Manu signing with bird rights affected the possible signing of Hanga with the BAE? Even Paul was signed before Manu made his decision and Paul's the one taking the spot Hanga would eventually have had.
    It affected priorities and someone being misled. Otherwise one has to assume RC was just an asshole

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It affected priorities and someone being misled. Otherwise one has to assume RC was just an asshole
    I'll tell you what it affected - the Spurs always envisioned signing Hanga for the min, if ever. Then suddenly he gets a once in a lifetime $10mil contract from Barcelona when he's made probably less than $2 mil for his career so far. Spurs no longer care to bid against that. Doesn't matter at all whether RC's an asshole or not. They got Bertans for the min and Bertans has more talent in his missing finger than Hanga.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Alot of assumptions in this thread. I try to avoid the assumption game and blind leaps to a conlusion.

I'm not going out on a limb and calling manu selfish. He's 40 years old. "One can reasonably assume he was actually torn between retiring and coming back." If so, it's hard to label that selfish.

He's earned the right to make his decision at his own speed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll tell you what it affected - the Spurs always envisioned signing Hanga for the min, if ever. Then suddenly he gets a once in a lifetime $10mil contract from Barcelona when he's made probably less than $2 mil for his career so far. Spurs no longer care to bid against that. Doesn't matter at all whether RC's an asshole or not. They got Bertans for the min and Bertans has more talent in his missing finger than Hanga.
    I won't comment on the comparison to Davis. I like him and don't want to diss on anyone.

But I had already noted Spurs likely didn't want to pay Hanga what he was worth, several times here.

However, they led him to believe they wanted him and were willing to negotiate a contract that was fair to him, and also led his camp to believe him joining the team depended on Manu retiring. We already had that discussion.
    More likely than not if Manu wasn't coming back Spurs priorities would have shifted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If memory serves it came out at the beginning of free agency that hanga would be signed if manu retired. If so, he was put on notice of the situation and cant get his feelings hurt.

Manu doesn't owe hanga . He shouldn't have to speed up a decision for some Hungarian guy who can't even shoot from the outside and is debatably a fringe nba talent.

Manu at 40 is still better than some options. He's better and quicker than kyle ing anderson. That's for sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If memory serves it came out at the beginning of free agency that hanga would be signed if manu retired. If so, he was put on notice of the situation and cant get his feelings hurt.

Manu doesn't owe hanga . He shouldn't have to speed up a decision for some Hungarian guy who can't even shoot from the outside and is debatably a fringe nba talent.
    Exactly
    Now everything is about feelings... dude is not NBA material if so other teams would be looking for him like they got Porzingis and other euro players like that old dude that is gonna play for the Clips.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Manu at 40 is still better than some options. He's better and quicker than kyle ing anderson. That's for sure.
    You are en led to your fandom. I respect that. We shall disagree on the impact of taking a long time to decide on his retirement and the impact on others. At any rate Hanga made the choice that was better for himself too and he waited as long as he possibly could to make it bc he wanted to come over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    zero mention of Manu in the OP, tbh... both the post and article...

haters gonna hate, tbh....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funnily tho, if this guy is as good as some people claim, we should be able to trade his rights for a nice piece...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    zero mention of Manu in the OP, tbh... both the post and article...

haters gonna hate, tbh....
    i don't think it was Manu's fault, at least money wise. In today's NBA you need to load up on wings, so getting Hanga (at least the Spurs front office thinks he's good enough) and Manu would have been preferred. If it was between Hanga and Gay, the Gay signing was much more important.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are en led to your fandom. I respect that. We shall disagree on the impact of taking a long time to decide on his retirement and the impact on others. At any rate Hanga made the choice that was better for himself too and he waited as long as he possibly could to make it bc he wanted to come over.
    It's not about fandom. It's about facts and reality. I love manu for a reason. He was a bad mofo who has won on every level.

And at 40 he is still a net positive.

I don't become a fan of scrubs. So if you are going to reach fandom status in my eyes you better be a legend like manu, tim, kawhi, etc.

Not an agenda. Manus got a two decade history of being a winner.

But I digress. I'll take the fandom tag of Manu and you stick with kyle anderson.

In a devils advocate analysis my "agenda" is more easily supportable tJan propping up kyle and hitching my wagon to a 3 year old horse who could be put to pasture well before his theoretical prime.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i don't think it was Manu's fault, at least money wise. In today's NBA you need to load up on wings, so getting Hanga (at least the Spurs front office thinks he's good enough) and Manu would have been preferred. If it was between Hanga and Gay, the Gay signing was much more important.
    Yep. And really, if hanga was that great, hed be a spur. Hes not even better than fathead

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not about fandom. It's about facts and reality. I love manu for a reason. He was a bad mofo who has won on every level.

And at 40 he is still a net positive.

I don't become a fan of scrubs. So if you are going to reach fandom status in my eyes you better be a legend like manu, tim, kawhi, etc.

Not an agenda. Manus got a two decade history of being a winner.

But I digress. I'll take the fandom tag of Manu and you stick with kyle anderson.

In a devils advocate analysis my "agenda" is more easily supportable tJan propping up kyle and hitching my wagon to a 3 year old horse who could be put to pasture well before his theoretical prime.
    Not going to comment much bc I consider comments such as this ^ fandom. You are going to justify your hero So it's not an objective opinion.
    I actually find it quite ridiculous the Manu s defend the FO so fiercely bc the decision depended on their heros whim.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not going to comment much bc I consider comments such as this ^ fandom. You are going to justify your hero So it's not an objective opinion.
    I actually find it quite ridiculous the Manu s defend the FO so fiercely bc the decision depended on their heros whim.
    Ill agree with that. Kind of takes away the treat everyone equally pop was selling

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's the thing - it didn't. Like it really had nothing to do with Manu's decision. If Hanga hadn't got that mega offer he would likely have been on the team in place of Paul, not Manu.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People thinking Manu's decision had anything to do with Hanga.

Spurs just didn't like Hanga enough to offer him a contract. They prefered to sign a D-leaguer, that can at least shoot, for a lot less than they would have had to pay Hanga. One of the few good moves they made in the offseason, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not ripping Manu because he can still play at the NBA level and he's a Spur legend that we will miss 4 years from now, and I don't know how good Hanga is, though this sounds like the Spurs want him to come over at some point. That said, I remember when Brent Berry retired. There were 4 or 5 teams that wanted him because of his shooting and playmaking capabilities. But he said he was retiring early to let some young guy get his spot and have a chance to live the same dream he had. Mad respect for his unselfishness.
    I thought Brent retired because he couldn't play anymore. I thought he had physical issues that caused him to retire?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still time to move Green, for an athletic big and sign Hanga as he has an opt-out clause.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still time to move Green, for an athletic big and sign Hanga as he has an opt-out clause.
    Name one athletic big in the nba right now...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People thinking Manu's decision had anything to do with Hanga.

Spurs just didn't like Hanga enough to offer him a contract. They prefered to sign a D-leaguer, that can at least shoot, for a lot less than they would have had to pay Hanga. One of the few good moves they made in the offseason, tbh.
    Trying really hard, I'll give you that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gobert

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeAndre Jordan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trying really hard, I'll give you that.
    Are you denying what I'm saying? The issue was never Manu or Hanga. If the Spurs would have wanted to have both they could have easily done it. The Spurs just weren't that high on him, that's why they preferred to sign a D-leaguer instead.

I don't know why folks can't realize such an obvious fact.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dedmon.

Thread Information