Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Republican Tax Cut For The Rich Is Careening Toward Collapse In The Senate

Senate Republicans are scrambling as at least 6 Republicans have concerns about the bill that cuts taxes for the wealthiest Americans, and the legislation is coming closer to collapse.

The Washington Post reported:

Senate Republicans are seriously considering several last-minute changes to their tax legislation in an effort to mollify wavering members, four people familiar with the discussions said, as GOP leaders seek to keep their members from defecting ahead of crucial votes this week.

There are numerous members demanding changes, and their needs don’t all overlap.

Together, the requests put Republican leaders in a difficult position, as they attempt to accommodate individual holdouts on a one-off basis without losing other members or creating a situation in which the bill collapses under the weight of disparate demands.

http://www.politicususa.com/2017/11/...iticus+USA+%29

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In Tax Debate, Gift to Religious Right Could Be Bargaining Chip

For years, a coalition of well-funded groups on the religious right have waged an uphill battle to repeal a 1954 law that bans churches and other nonprofit groups from engaging in political activity.

Now, those groups are edging toward a once-improbable victory as Republican lawmakers, with the enthusiastic backing of President Trump, prepare to rewrite large swaths of the United States tax code as part of the $1.5 trillion tax package moving through Congress

a provision to roll back the 1954 ban, a move that is championed by the religious right, but opposed by thousands of religious and nonprofit leaders, who warn that it could blur the line between charity and politics.

The change could turn churches into a well-funded political force, with donors diverting as much as $1.7 billion

( tax deductible "religious" donations! )

each year from traditional political committees to churches and other nonprofit groups that could legally engage in partisan politics for the first time,

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/26/u...er=rss&emc=rss

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Republicans worried White House has already doomed tax plan with tone-deaf rollout

the daunting task of passing an already wildly unpopulartax plan by the end of the year.

According to Politico
    , many are worried that the White House has already doomed the tax overhaul with a tone-deaf rollout that featured multimillionaires Steven Mnuchin and Gary Cohn as spokesmen.

Mnuchin didn’t help matters by posing with a sheet of newly minted dollar bills alongside his wife

Louise Linton — who tenderly fondled an edge of the sheet of currency while wearing black, elbow-length leather opera gloves.

A CNN reporter found the gloves for sale online for $635.

“No, they are not lined with diamonds, gold or even anti-anxiety medication,” wroteMediaite.com’s Lawrence Bonk.

“They are just gloves. Really expensive gloves that cost half of what an average American pays on rent per month.”

“If you asked us to put together a photo shoot to show this is a taxpayer-funded giveaway to millionaires and billionaires, I don’t think we could do a better job of this,”

Gary Cohn — who is, like Mnuchin, a former Goldman-Sachs executive — flubbed his own pitch for the tax cut bill when he said

the average family will receive an addition $1,000 per year, which they could use to “renovate their kitchen” or “buy a new car.”

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/11/rep...e+Raw+Story%29

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah it's all this easy boots...

This is all highly dependent on how you make your income. There are wide range possibilities for almost every income group except the really poor people.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Congress Is Trying to Blow Up Our Elections AND Our System of Charities in One Fell Swoop

The House’s repeal of the Johnson Amendment poses an existential threat to both charities and American electio

By essentially repealing the so-called Johnson Amendment,

a tax provision that bars charities from engaging in partisan politics,

the House legislation frees up big donors to funnel even more unlimited, undisclosed money into campaigns, and,

for the first time, to deduct that money from their taxes.

The bill also threatens the credibility and viability of charitable groups, and would drastically reduce charitable giving—

even as it robs education, housing, and health-care assistance from working families who invariably will turn to charities for help.

list of those lined up against the repeal is impressive:

5,500 charities and foundations,

4,200 faith leaders, and

more than 100
    religious and denominational organizations.

https://www.alternet.org/right-wing/blowing-democracy-and-charities-one-fell-swoop

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Senate GOP tax bill hurts the poor more than originally thought, CBO finds

The Senate Republican tax plan gives substantial tax cuts and benefits to Americans earning more than $100,000 a year, while the nation’s poorest would be worse off,

By 2019, Americans earning less than $30,000 a year would be worse off under the Senate bill, CBO found. By 2021, Americans earning $40,000 or less would be net losers, and by 2027, most people earning less than $75,000 a year would be worse off. On the flip side, millionaires and those earning $100,000 to $500,000 would be big beneficiaries,

The main reason the poor get hit so hard in the Senate GOP bill is because the poor would receive less government aid for health care.

health insurance premiums would rise if this bill becomes law, leading 4 million Americans to lose health insurance by 2019 and 13 million to lose insurance by 2027.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/11/26/senate-gop-tax-bill-hurts-the-poor-more-than-originally-thought-cbo-finds/?undefined=&utm_term=.4390ebe33ff0&wpisrc=nl_most& wpmm=1

iow, ALL Congressional Repugs in Congress are voting themselves more money, as well as for their BigDonor.

Last edited by boutons_deux; 11-28-2017 at 06:16 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trash wants to give Obama a huge tax cut??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVch...em-uploademail
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 11-28-2017 at 06:17 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Democratic leaders cancel meeting with Trump after Twitter attack

Democratic congressional leaders have cancelled a meeting with President Donald Trump after he attacked them on Twitter hours beforehand.

The Republican president said he did not think he could reach a deal with Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer on funding the government.

The Democrats said they would negotiate with Republican lawmakers instead.

Averting a federal shutdown is just one of this month's big challenges for Republicans, who control Capitol Hill.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42159139

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tax Cuts Don’t Reduce the Debt

From the liberal Wall Street Journal:

Throughout Barack Obama’s eight years as president, Republicans hammered relentlessly at the horrors of debt.

In 2011 they took the country to the brink of default because they didn’t want to raise the statutory debt ceiling.

Last year candidate Donald Trump repeatedly ripped Mr. Obama for doubling federal debt.

Yet in their drive to overhaul taxes, President Trump and his congressional allies are about to make the trajectory of debt even worse.

Financing tax cuts with deficits isn’t the end of the world: There are economic arguments for doing so, which I will get to.

However, Republican leaders aren’t making these arguments.

Instead they rely on a far more tenuous case:

Lower tax rates will unleash so much new economic activity and thus added tax revenue that, contrary to history and mainstream economic opinion, the debt actually won’t rise much, if at all.

It’s a politically convenient face-saver, but it undermines a process Republicans themselves put in place to minimize the abuse of such reasoning.

http://ritholtz.com/2017/11/tax-cuts...Big+Picture%29

so the Repugs are lying to us?

and what about BigCorp giving tax cut savings to employees? another lie?

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder what the resident republicans think about these corporate tax cuts.
    Chris Chucho Spurtacular CosmicCowboy

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey dabom! I see you!

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey dabom! I see you!
    I really want an answer. I mean you're republican. Do these tax cuts represent you?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Libertarian Conservative

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Libertarian Conservative
    So you agree.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really want an answer. I mean you're republican. Do these tax cuts represent you?
    LOL, no. You're a serial stereotypist. And wrong.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does no republican know what they want according to taxes.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder what the resident republicans think about these corporate tax cuts.
    Chris Chucho Spurtacular CosmicCowboy
    I'm no more republican than you are, got. Probably less so, honestly.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm no more republican than you are, got. Probably less so, honestly.
    So that would make you Democrat.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So that would make you Democrat.
    Neither.

In fact, I'd bet you're a Republican in real life. You just can't own up to it here b/c you're a 43-year old man trying to be a cool kid.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neither.

In fact, I'd bet you're a Republican in real life. You just can't own up to it here b/c you're a 43-year old man trying to be a cool kid.
    Can I give you a history lesson. Very short.

The Republican party switched around the 1960's. They became Democrat. It's always been this original north vs south ideology.

A lot of people growing up don't know this.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The Republican party switched around the 1960's. They became Democrat. It's always been this original north vs south ideology.

The second myth is that segregationist Democrats bolted to the Republican Party after the Civil Rights Act was passed. In actuality, 20 of the 21 Democrats who voted against the Civil Rights Act remained Democrats and their seats remained in Democratic hands for over 20 years.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you disagreeing with history?

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's hard for people to come to terms with it. I'm not here to make ya switch. Just to enlighten ya.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

An oversimplified way of looking at it, tbh. Blacks switched parties in the 60's and 70's; but that had even started in the 20's. This due to the Dems transition to being an urban welfare party; but it wasn't because the Republican positions were so drastically changing.

This history lesson has nothing to do with you leaning republican in real life, tbh. I'll give you a historical reality; both parties are in bed with the corporations.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not for corporate tax cuts. That would be against my interests. The one think that affects the economy and the little guy. The rich make money when it's good times, and buy everything when it's low times. I ask you, which party wants that to happen?

Thread Information