Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Considering one of the rumors is the 120W card (eg the 1160) has a $499 MSRP, so I'm guessing no. Sounds like Nvidia might be jacking prices way up like they did with the 600 series where they made the 560 Ti equivalent (eg the 680) a $500 card.
    That's sad if true.. This has been a long wait from the 1000 cards (not that it's a bad thing) but to have this huge gap and minimal gains is garbage. Either way I'm saving up for a new build, so I'm fine with using my 1060 in a new motherboard/processor/RAM/SSD PC as my only issues I experience from running my games exactly how I want to is all CPU based, hitting 100% usage in certain les with a lot of AI or with a ton of high res textures being loaded in quicker than I assume my standard HDD can send out.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's sad if true.. This has been a long wait from the 1000 cards (not that it's a bad thing) but to have this huge gap and minimal gains is garbage. Either way I'm saving up for a new build, so I'm fine with using my 1060 in a new motherboard/processor/RAM/SSD PC as my only issues I experience from running my games exactly how I want to is all CPU based, hitting 100% usage in certain les with a lot of AI or with a ton of high res textures being loaded in quicker than I assume my standard HDD can send out.
    Man I would not do a new build until at least late 2020 when the new consoles are either out or there is rock solid information about what kind of cpus they'll be using. Most games are always going to be programmed towards the lowest common denominator, so it makes sense to see what that is first to be able to properly exploit those console weaknesses in your build. Plus RAM prices are ridiculous right now and Intel is still having getting to 10 nm. It's about the worst possible time to do a new build IMO. Though one ray of hope at least is Samsung is claiming they're able to produce 1TB, 2TB, and 4TB QLC SSDs cheaply enough that they'll be consumer level SSDs and not enthusiast level products when they launch late this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man I would not do a new build until at least late 2020 when the new consoles are either out or there is rock solid information about what kind of cpus they'll be using. Most games are always going to be programmed towards the lowest common denominator, so it makes sense to see what that is first to be able to properly exploit those console weaknesses in your build. Plus RAM prices are ridiculous right now and Intel is still having getting to 10 nm. It's about the worst possible time to do a new build IMO. Though one ray of hope at least is Samsung is claiming they're able to produce 1TB, 2TB, and 4TB QLC SSDs cheaply enough that they'll be consumer level SSDs and not enthusiast level products when they launch late this year.
    I feel like at any point in time one could argue that they should wait because of the "next big advancement" though.. I'm still using a ing 3570k 6 years later, it's time tbh. I got games stuttering with a G-Sync monitor ffs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel like at any point in time one could argue that they should wait because of the "next big advancement" though.. I'm still using a ing 3570k 6 years later, it's time tbh. I got games stuttering with a G-Sync monitor ffs
    Well the i7-9700k is rumored to be 8 cores with no hyperthreading and rumored to use solder between the core and heatspreader like the Sandy Bridge chips that were legendary overclockers (instead of the crap thermal paste used between core and heatspreader that hugely limits overclocks in Skylake / Kaby Lake / Coffee Lake). I wouldn't buy a six core i5 without hyperthreading since there is the chance we could see octacore Ryzen with decent clockspeeds on PS5 / next XBox since they'll be on a mature 7nm node by 2020/2021 when those consoles are likely to launch. OTOH if the consoles use low clocked octacores with SMT (eg hyperthreading) and developers start targeting 16 hardware threads that 9700k might start showing the same limitations the 3570k did a couple of years into this current console gen when you saw games like Battlefield 1 running much better on i7 than i5 thanks to PS4/XB1 using crap IPC low clocked octacore cpus.

I would still wait to see what AMD's 7nm chips look like this year. Ryzen is pretty compe ive with Intel unlike the FX series and maybe they can ramp up the clockspeeds on 7nm Ryzen. One of the 8 core / 16 thread R7 chips with a high clockspeed could be good insurance if AMD is able to really hike up the clockspeeds after the big node shrink.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 08-10-2018 at 08:26 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4K at low settings

Can't wait for the definitive edition.. baseline bum is the 1180 supposed to be worth a or nah?
    Man this really sucks how gpu improvement is slowing to a crawl. My GTX 970 that I paid $340 for is almost four years old right now and the only reasonable upgrade is a $400 GTX 1070 that's about 60% faster. But that $340 GTX 970 in late 2014 was 120% faster than the $330 GTX 570 from four years earlier. That's almost the difference in performance between a GTX 970 and a $1200 an X Pascal.

Nvidia is supposed to be announcing their new gaming cards on the 20th. They just announced new Quadro cards designed for raytracing a couple of hours ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man this really sucks how gpu improvement is slowing to a crawl. My GTX 970 that I paid $340 for is almost four years old right now and the only reasonable upgrade is a $400 GTX 1070 that's about 60% faster. But that $340 GTX 970 in late 2014 was 120% faster than the $330 GTX 570 from four years earlier. That's almost the difference in performance between a GTX 970 and a $1200 an X Pascal.

Nvidia is supposed to be announcing their new gaming cards on the 20th. They just announced new Quadro cards designed for raytracing a couple of hours ago.
    I saw the reflection Star Wars demo.. looks pretty impressive

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I saw the reflection Star Wars demo.. looks pretty impressive
    Nvidia with a hype video today, they better have something good coming out

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nvidia with a hype video today, they better have something good coming out

Yeah I seent that.. at how people are saying "It seems that Nvidia is now focusing on gamers" - What the was the focus before?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I seent that.. at how people are saying "It seems that Nvidia is now focusing on gamers" - What the was the focus before?
    Machine learning is the company's focus. They'll make way more money from their work on self-driving cars than they would ever get out of PC Master Race.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Machine learning is the company's focus. They'll make way more money from their work on self-driving cars than they would ever get out of PC Master Race.
    Yeah I learned this last night when dude said.. "all of this, and it's only 10. Thousand. Dollars."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I learned this last night when dude said.. "all of this, and it's only 10. Thousand. Dollars."
    Yeah I can't remember ever seeing 800mm^2 dies until they started getting into machine learning.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    man, one of the new leaks I'm seeing says GTX 2060 will be coming in November and will be 7% slower than GTX 1070. So since the GTX 1070 is 58% faster than the 970 in techpowerup's testsuite of games at 1440p that makes the GTX 2060 about 47% faster than the GTX 970 in that testsuite. And it's supposed to sell for somewhere between $200 to $300. I'm guessing $300, why would they drop price from the 1060? At that price that , $300 for a 47% gain in performance four years after I bought my 970 for $340. When I bought my 970 it was 120% faster than the four year old 570 that launched at $330. I guess I'm not upgrading this gen either unless my 970 dies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4K at low settings

Can't wait for the definitive edition.. baseline bum is the 1180 supposed to be worth a or nah?

Allegedly PNG's website had this up earlier today:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Allegedly PNG's website had this up earlier today:

All that looks great.. but all I wanna know is.. Can the god damn card finally push 4K locked at 60 FPS..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All that looks great.. but all I wanna know is.. Can the god damn card finally push 4K locked at 60 FPS..
    It's supposed to beat out the an V, but no matter how powerful a card you get Ubisoft will put out games that aren't that impressive graphically but will eat through your card. For example, Ghost Recon Wildlands which couldn't run 1080p60 on a ing 1070.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's supposed to beat out the an V, but no matter how powerful a card you get Ubisoft will put out games that aren't that impressive graphically but will eat through your card. For example, Ghost Recon Wildlands which couldn't run 1080p60 on a ing 1070.
    Anything less than 60 FPS @ 4K is a fail at this point IMO. 4K has been around long enough for the technology to have caught up by now.. I'm looking forward to seeing some benchmarks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anything less than 60 FPS @ 4K is a fail at this point IMO. 4K has been around long enough for the technology to have caught up by now.. I'm looking forward to seeing some benchmarks
    1080 Ti can already play most games 4k60 at high settings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1080 Ti can already play most games 4k60 at high settings.
    Yeah I was gonna edit the previous post to include "ultra settings" - we shouldn't be compromising anymore even though high isn't far off

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I was gonna edit the previous post to include "ultra settings" - we shouldn't be compromising anymore even though high isn't far off
    Ultra settings are dumb IMO. Most of the time they're indistinguishable from high and give massive performance hits. Every once in a while I'll find an ultra setting that I think is really worth it, like HBAO+ in The Witcher 3 which really makes all the fire and lighting from it come alive in the world. I especially would never use ultra settings if I had a system like yours with GSync. 60 fps at ultra or 100 fps at high? Give me high every time then.

Damn I really hope the 2060 is something impressive for $300 or less, as lately I have been holding off on PC gaming since I'm in the mindset that I'll probably upgrade this year and I want to play Final Fantasy XV and AC Origins without frame drops. 2018 has been rough on the GTX 970 and my card doesn't handle an overclock as well as it did a couple of years ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 2080 Ti is $1200. The 2080 is $800. The 2070 is $600. So in seven years the GTX 570 equivalent (eg cut down high end chip) has gone from $330 to $1200. PC gaming now. These prices are ridiculous.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/20-series/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 2080 Ti is $1200. The 2080 is $800. The 2070 is $600. So in seven years the GTX 570 equivalent (eg cut down high end chip) has gone from $330 to $1200. PC gaming now. These prices are ridiculous.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/20-series/
    Yeah that's bull pricing. Cyber Monday can't even save that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ElNono man, what do you think about these ray tracing gpus? This isn't something that's actually doable in games right now is it? Are prices being sent through the roof just so we can take pretty screenshots in Ansel?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, I haven't even caught up with that yet. I read that they introduced some of that at GDC, but I suppose there's gotta be some light bounce limits/settings, etc. Things like ambient occlusions are probably still cheaper with shadowmaps. This is probably going to be cool for material reflections type of stuff.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah that's bull pricing. Cyber Monday can't even save that
    So with raytracing on this $1200 RTX 2080 Ti is a ing 1080p30 gpu

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Grafik...aider-1263244/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Almost here, ers!

Thread Information