Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this is one of the big reasons i trust your reviews. i never completed the game, which is just about unheard of for me when it comes to console gaming. i tried twice and got bored and quit both times. sold that piece of within about a month of buying it. i was a HUGE fan of san andreas and think GTA V is one of the greatest games of all time, but found 4 unplayable.
    I actually did complete GTA IV without enjoying a single second of it because I loved III / Vice City / San Andreas so much and kept expecting IV to become amazing at some point because it was Rockstar. I'm so glad they fixed the driving in GTA V to play like it did in San Andreas and before.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, I shouldn't say I didn't enjoy any of the GTA IV. That game did introduce me to Ricky Gervais, who did some hilarious standup at one of the clubs you could take a date to in the game. But that was literally the only good thing about GTA IV.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually did complete GTA IV without enjoying a single second of it because I loved III / Vice City / San Andreas so much and kept expecting IV to become amazing at some point because it was Rockstar. I'm so glad they fixed the driving in GTA V to play like it did in San Andreas and before.
    yeah, GTA is meant to be an arcade style game. there comes a point where realism makes no sense and just detracts from the game

there were just a lot of things wrong with the game. niko was such a worthless character. zero appeal. his friends were stupid. the city was stupid. they actually tried incentivizing calling for a ing taxi instead of just stealing a car. in a game called grand theft auto.
    Last edited by spurraider21; 12-17-2018 at 07:42 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The first level is extremely difficult. Even when I was getting destroyed and wanting to throw my Dualshock through the TV I had to admit the combat was fun as . The problem with the beginning is you can't progress until finding a point of "insight". That's what allows you to start leveling up. You can find something called "Madman's knowledge" that will give you a point if you consume it or you can get a point by getting to one of the bosses even if he kills you (and he will, most bosses are way too difficult to beat on the first try unless you get lucky). Until you get that point of insight you're just spinning your wheels. And Bloodborne never tells you that you have to get that point of insight. It's the anti-Uncharted when it comes to hand holding.

Honestly at $13.99 for the complete edition, what's even the opportunity cost of buying it if it looks at all interesting? You can also get the regular edition of the game right now on PSN for $7.99, but if you buy one I highly recommend the Complete Edition since the DLC usually sells for $20 by itself and is amazing IMO.
    that's a fair point tbh. it's a le i'll probably pick up down the line, along with witcher 3. i'm probably gonna eventually fall behind on consoles again, and start playing a lot of the great ps4 les for dirt cheap at a point in time when people are spending money on the ps5

but again, i'm not that well versed in RPGs, so those games are going to take some adjustments. i mean yeah i've played some fallout, but my understanding is those are pretty watered down compared to some of the bigger rpgs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BOTW is def all time overrated. But I still wanna play it. I cant imagine it being worse than an 8/10 game.

Obviously BOTW capitalized with nostalgia.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing that pissess me off with Zelda reviews, every RPGs story is dissected. You make one one misstep and you're losing a point. But Zelda reviews had to omit story that or the typical " you cant judge its story..thats not what zelda is for"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's a fair point tbh. it's a le i'll probably pick up down the line, along with witcher 3. i'm probably gonna eventually fall behind on consoles again, and start playing a lot of the great ps4 les for dirt cheap at a point in time when people are spending money on the ps5

but again, i'm not that well versed in RPGs, so those games are going to take some adjustments. i mean yeah i've played some fallout, but my understanding is those are pretty watered down compared to some of the bigger rpgs
    They'll probably both go on similar sales at some point next year too. Here are their price histories on PSN:

https://psprices.com/region-us/game/...edition-bundle

https://psprices.com/region-us/game/...mplete-edition

Funny enough both the Complete Edition and the only base game versions of Witcher 3 are $20 on PSN right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BOTW is good but I think it's the most overrated game since GTA IV (another game that got 10/10 reviews everywhere). Though I thought GTA IV was a complete piece of . You'll like BOTW if you really enjoy exploration in open world games. If you like dungeons and combat they're really lacking in BOTW. There are only five dungeons in the game. They're pretty cool but mostly puzzles with occasional combat thrown in. The climbing mechanic is unbelievably cool in BOTW. Climbing mountains and towers is far and away the best part of the game. The story is kind of crap, but you know to expect that going in on a Zelda game. I do have to admit the art style looks amazing.

The real crown jewel of the Switch is Super Mario Odyssey. It's one of the most creative games I have ever played with the possession mechanic, it's beautiful graphically, and the 2D areas are great. The only Mario game I have ever liked more was the original Super Mario Bros on NES. The entire New Donk City level is incredible.
    Damn, I was looking forward to more dungeons. You might have me sold on Odyssey though. Sounds like a of a fun game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, I was looking forward to more dungeons. You might have me sold on Odyssey though. Sounds like a of a fun game.
    There are a bunch of shrines in BOTW but the combat is pretty lame in them. They're mostly about doing puzzles too. I loved Odyssey even though I hated Mario 64. But the control is good enough in Odyssey to make 3D Mario really work there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Honest Game Trailers did a good review of BOTW. He liked it more than I did, but it's a good summary IMO:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They'll probably both go on similar sales at some point next year too. Here are their price histories on PSN:

https://psprices.com/region-us/game/...edition-bundle

https://psprices.com/region-us/game/...mplete-edition

Funny enough both the Complete Edition and the only base game versions of Witcher 3 are $20 on PSN right now.
    also i believe the base version of bloodborne was one of the free monthy PS Plus games some time ago

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    also i believe the base version of bloodborne was one of the free monthy PS Plus games some time ago
    It was, but you buy PS Plus? I'm too old to be good at online shooters so I pass on that tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was, but you buy PS Plus? I'm too old to be good at online shooters so I pass on that tbh.
    nah, i dont have PS Plus. before my gaming hiatus i was pretty big on the COD stuff, so i was all about online gaming. but that was free on the PS3.

and now im looking forward to just taking my time and exploring the big single player les. dont have a need for online stuff (though i've also read that bloodborne is a quasi-online game or somethin like that, i'm sure you can expand on that).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nah, i dont have PS Plus. before my gaming hiatus i was pretty big on the COD stuff, so i was all about online gaming. but that was free on the PS3.

and now im looking forward to just taking my time and exploring the big single player les. dont have a need for online stuff (though i've also read that bloodborne is a quasi-online game or somethin like that, i'm sure you can expand on that).
    Bloodborne has player vs player if you're into that and you can summon other players to your game for co-op action. A lot of people do it for boss fights, but it seems like a waste IMO since you're getting rid of the challenge that way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Id play GOW first. Much better story and slightly better combat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Id play GOW first. Much better story and slightly better combat.
    oh i'm sure it has much better combat. combat was never the strong suit of rockstar games. and its the staple of god of war.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh, RDR2 wasn't halfway bad... sure, it starts a bit slow, but I mixed up side-missions with the main quest and it was pretty good... Rob just probably having flashbacks/nightmares when he was crossing the Rio Grande on his pony, IMO.

GOW is just the GOY though, just one of those games you don't want it to end.

Got me BOTW for the Switch too over the weekend, so I'm heading out for the holidays with that and Mario, will see what the hype is all about.

BTW, finished Hitman 2 in like 4 hours last night. Totally 'rent it' if you can, not worth a buy, too short.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh, RDR2 wasn't halfway bad... sure, it starts a bit slow, but I mixed up side-missions with the main quest and it was pretty good... Rob just probably having flashbacks/nightmares when he was crossing the Rio Grande on his pony, IMO.
    That's the way it should be IMO. Some of the side missions were better than the story missions and absolutely essential to the storyline/character development IMO. Others were typical Rockstar fluff with quirky characters, etc.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh the first hour+ of RDR2 is painfully slow... its almost all cinematics at this point as you slowly walk to follow another character. early on when they talk about the train, i was thinkin "oh, finally something exciting" and it was a letdown. short and dreadfully easy.

also the controls feel clunky, but that's just going to take adjustment. still have to get used to all these different item types and different things i gotta pay attention to (health/stamina... not only meters but also the cores. just seems tedious imo). its like in San Andreas when u had to pay attention to what your character ate and had to hit the gym and stuff. felt more like a chore than anything.

but obviously i'm not writing the game off yet. but at this early juncture, its just a pretty $60 wall painting

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh the first hour+ of RDR2 is painfully slow... its almost all cinematics at this point as you slowly walk to follow another character. early on when they talk about the train, i was thinkin "oh, finally something exciting" and it was a letdown. short and dreadfully easy.

also the controls feel clunky, but that's just going to take adjustment. still have to get used to all these different item types and different things i gotta pay attention to (health/stamina... not only meters but also the cores. just seems tedious imo). its like in San Andreas when u had to pay attention to what your character ate and had to hit the gym and stuff. felt more like a chore than anything.

but obviously i'm not writing the game off yet. but at this early juncture, its just a pretty $60 wall painting
    You gotta go into the settings and turn the acceleration and sensitivity to the max and turn the dead zone way down in the controller settings. Out the box the control is awful IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

GOW is just the GOY though, just one of those games you don't want it to end.

Got me BOTW for the Switch too over the weekend, so I'm heading out for the holidays with that and Mario, will see what the hype is all about.

BTW, finished Hitman 2 in like 4 hours last night. Totally 'rent it' if you can, not worth a buy, too short.
    Mario is the one you could actually finish in 30-40 hours. BOTW IMO sucks if all you want to do is run through the main story and finish it quick. The good part is just aimless exploration, but then you're probably looking at a 150 hour or so game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    fckin double post

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You gotta go into the settings and turn the acceleration and sensitivity to the max and turn the dead zone way down in the controller settings. Out the box the control is awful IMO.
    i'm not necessarily referring to the character movement, i can deal with that. just talkin about going through inventory, drawing weapons, etc.

even picking up/looting items is unnecessarily time consuming

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dang, thanks for the heads up.
    If you don't mind digital the Playstation Store just put God of War on sale for $28. The store sucks about updating though so you have to add it to your cart to see the sale price.

Thread Information