Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    With the debate in another thread about strength of schedule....here are some numbers.

NOTE....this is NOT to support one side or the other, this is all fact...feel free to add any opinions you would like.

USC (6-0):
    opponents played combined record: 18-19
    opponets still to play combined record: 22-13
    ranked opponents (ranking at the time played): Oregon #24, ASU #14, ND #9
    ranked opponents still to be played (current ranking...subject to change):
    Cal #25, Fresno State #24, UCLA #8

UT (6-0):
    opponents played combined record: 16-19
    opponets still to play combined record: 20-10
    ranked opponents (ranking at the time played): Ohio St. #4, CU #24
    ranked opponents still to be played (current ranking...subject to change):
    Tech #10

Discuss.

My Team
    Columbia Lions
    Post Count
    Good wins:

UT at Columbus over now 14th ranked Ohio State by 3 points.

USC at Eugene over now 13th ranked Oregon by 32 points; USC at South Bend over now 15th ranked Notre Dame by 3 points.

2 quality wins > 1 quality win

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Yep. That loss by OSU at Penn State hurt Texas. But fortunately for them, Florida State lost.

Beyond that, last season USC dominated a OU team that shut out Texas. I think the after effects of that are still lingering...

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    2 quality wins > 1 quality win
    In your opinion....I am not discounting that but the people who vote may not agree..who knows.

IMO, ranking at the time is more important than ranking later.

My Team
    Columbia Lions
    Post Count
    In your opinion....I am not discounting that but the people who vote may not agree..who knows.

IMO, ranking at the time is more important than ranking later.
    Well, then USC gets its win over ASU back and has wins over a #24 team (by a score similar to the score in the UT-Colorado game), a #14 team, and a #9 team (by a score similar to the score in the UT-OSU game) -- with all of those wins coming on the road.

You can't have it both ways -- you can't say that OSU is a great win for UT, while all of USC's opponents have been overrated and their wins unimpressive.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    At the end of the day, Texas has to win the rest of their games to prove they are #1.

Seeing as how USC is undefeated and trounced the OU team last season that shut out Texas, I think the rankings are fair.

I mean, you have a Va Tech team that could very well be the #2 team in the nation right now but could go undefeated and be shut out of the le game. I think Texas fans need to count their blessings and hope that they win out so they have their shot at USC come early Jan.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    You can't have it both ways -- you can't say that OSU is a great win for UT, while all of USC's opponents have been overrated and their wins unimpressive.
    I never did. I just posted numbers.

Well, then USC gets its win over ASU back and has wins over a #24 team (by a score similar to the score in the UT-Colorado game), a #14 team, and a #9 team (by a score similar to the score in the UT-OSU game) -- with all of those wins coming on the road.
    Who took it away? I think, again my opinion, any win over a ranked team is good.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    At the end of the day, Texas has to win the rest of their games to prove they are #1.

Seeing as how USC is undefeated and trounced the OU team last season that shut out Texas, I think the rankings are fair.

I mean, you have a Va Tech team that could very well be the #2 team in the nation right now but could go undefeated and be shut out of the le game. I think Texas fans need to count their blessings and hope that they win out so they have their shot at USC come early Jan
    I agree. Right now, SC and UT are 1 and 2, if they both win out....they should play for the le.

My Team
    Columbia Lions
    Post Count
    I agree. Right now, SC and UT are 1 and 2, if they both win out....they should play for the le.
    I still think that if SC, UT, and VT all win out, the Trojans will meet the Hokies in Pasadena.

And mikey, I wasn't talking about you specifically -- I was talking more in the Hubie Brown sense of "you." Sorry for the confusion.

Sleeping With The Original Axis of Evil hussker's Avatar
    Post Count
    Also, keep in mind that Texas will play a ranked team (by that time) in the Big XII Championship, whether that team is CU/NU/Mizzou. They will in the lower echelon, but still ranked.

Post Count
    VT still has Miami and, potentially, FSU, right?

My Team
    Columbia Lions
    Post Count
    Also, keep in mind that Texas will play a ranked team (by that time) in the Big XII Championship, whether that team is CU/NU/Mizzou. They will in the lower echelon, but still ranked.
    I'd be surprised if the North champion is ranked, unless either CU or NU rips through the other North teams and suffers little damage in playing whoever they have left from the South.

Post Count
    I'd be surprised if the North champion is ranked, unless either CU or NU rips through the other North teams and suffers little damage in playing whoever they have left from the South.
    They will be BCS ranked. Only possibility they won't is if it is Mizzou due to scheduling. I really think we will see an interesting "day after T'Giving" this year. I honestly think we will see the tu/aTm game decide the south and the NU/CU game decide the North. Would have been a better bet if the TTU/NU game had ended :13 earlier...

My Team
    Columbia Lions
    Post Count
    They will be BCS ranked. Only possibility they won't is if it is Mizzou due to scheduling. I really think we will see an interesting "day after T'Giving" this year. I honestly think we will see the tu/aTm game decide the south and the NU/CU game decide the North. Would have been a better bet if the TTU/NU game had ended :13 earlier...
    I disagree -- I think the South gets decided (more or less) this weekend with UT/TTU. The Aggies have to go to Lubbock this year, and they haven't been able to stop teams that occasionally pass the football. While I can see the North being decided after Thanksgiving, but only because both teams (for the most part) only have games left against the North, other than their game with each other.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    texas tech would be the 2nd best team in the pac 10
    So would Texas.

The Sean Marks Dance Duff McCartney's Avatar
    Post Count
    Hard to put a discussion like this in a forum like this. Tons of people here are UT homers and can't see past their brown noses.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    At least they have the guts to pick a team and stick with them.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    hyeah
    imagine liking a team thats currently unbeaten and ranked 2 in the nation

Post Count
    At least they have the guts to pick a team and stick with them.
    You think I don't pick a team because I don't have guts? I just flat out don't care about college ball...only thing I care about is the Longhorns, A&M, Tech, and whoever else is in Texas losing.

It's not cause I don't have guts. And you're a freaking idiot to say that.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    You think I don't pick a team because I don't have guts? I just flat out don't care about college ball...only thing I care about is the Longhorns, A&M, Tech, and whoever else is in Texas losing.

It's not cause I don't have guts.
    It's because you are a moron?

Post Count
    It's because you are a moron?
    Why would that make me a moron?

My Team
    Columbia Lions
    Post Count
    So would Texas.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    and any other team in the country?

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

It's not cause I don't have guts. And you're a freaking idiot to say that.
    Yeah...you are a coward. You gravy train on other teams wins and you just pick a handful of teams so that way you don't have to face losing. You are a coward, a liar and a cheat.

Post Count
    Yeah...you are a coward. You gravy train on other teams wins and you just pick a handful of teams so that way you don't have to face losing. You are a coward, a liar and a cheat.
    A handful of teams? Yeah right....like who? I don't really care if USC loses. Or if Oklahoma loses. Seriously, I'm sorry I don't give as much of a as you do about UT. Or about any other team in college football.

Or baseball for that matter..but I have a team for baseball.

College is the only place I don't have a team, and it's because I really don't care, not because I'm scared of losing. If I was scared of losing. I'd have bailed on the Spurs in 96-97. I wouldn't even be here would I?

Thread Information