Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So i was able to get a deal through Coscto where I got the 7/mo package for a full year.

Card was shipped to me within about 10 days, so wait time was not that bad. It works like a charm, haven't had any issues yet. Got/activated my card on December 16. As of last night, have been to 4 movies using the card, which would have cost me north of $50 regularly.

Works at all my local theaters. Would recommend to anybody tbh.

As stated on pg 1, main restrictions are that it doesn't work for 3D/IMAX showings, and they don't do business with select luxury theaters, which isn't really a big thing in my area anyway. Only 1 theater near me I know of where it doesn't work, and that's an Arc-Light which hardly qualifies as luxury anymore. Overpriced tickets for no added value. ArcLight used to charge more because they were the first major chain that did reserved seating... but that's no longer a unique gimmick, so I don't understand what basis they have to continue overcharging. But that's another topic.
    Can anyone use the ticket? Meaning if I purchased the Movie Pass, is there anything that would prohibit my kid from using it as well?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Can anyone use the ticket? Meaning if I purchased the Movie Pass, is there anything that would prohibit my kid from using it as well?
    well you have to "check in" to the theater through the app on your phone to authorize the purchase... tho i dont know that you can't have him login to your account on his phone. i haven't tried doing that.

it would definitely be a violation of their terms of service to share an account, tho honestly i have no clue how they'd track it (maybe its a red flag if 2 different devices have logged into the same account).

on an aside, moviepass claims that as of now, they're buying 1 out of every 35 movie tickets in the US due to growing user base. if they get that number higher, they'd be in a solid position to bargain with theaters for some kind of per-ticket commission

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    i think moviepass is right up there as the biggest "you cant afford not to buy it" product on the market.

also the robinhood trading app (which is free btw). commission-free stock trading

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    well you have to "check in" to the theater through the app on your phone to authorize the purchase... tho i dont know that you can't have him login to your account on his phone. i haven't tried doing that.

it would definitely be a violation of their terms of service to share an account, tho honestly i have no clue how they'd track it (maybe its a red flag if 2 different devices have logged into the same account).

on an aside, moviepass claims that as of now, they're buying 1 out of every 35 movie tickets in the US due to growing user base. if they get that number higher, they'd be in a solid position to bargain with theaters for some kind of per-ticket commission
    Ah...that makes sense about how they check. Was thinking that you could log in and print out your tickets. But it still sounds like you could screen shoot the scan bar and have someone else use it. Unless they check ids as well.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Ah...that makes sense about how they check. Was thinking that you could log in and print out your tickets. But it still sounds like you could screen shoot the scan bar and have someone else use it. Unless they check ids as well.
    you have to buy your tickets on-site at the theater after checking in (there's a 30 minute window from when you check in to go buy the tix). you dont print it from home.

and there's no scan bar. once you check in, they authorize the purchase and you just go up to the box office (i always just use the automated kiosk) and purchase an adult ticket for that showing using the moviepass debit card

when you check in to a theater/showing, they get the information for how much 1 adult ticket for that showing would cost, and they wire exactly that amount to your moviepass card, which you use to make the purchase.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It’s awesome. One of my favorite things I buy. I go to the movies a ton and both the wife and I have one.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    you have to buy your tickets on-site at the theater after checking in (there's a 30 minute window from when you check in to go buy the tix). you dont print it from home.

and there's no scan bar. once you check in, they authorize the purchase and you just go up to the box office (i always just use the automated kiosk) and purchase an adult ticket for that showing using the moviepass debit card
    Those ers.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It’s awesome. One of my favorite things I buy. I go to the movies a ton and both the wife and I have one.
    Did you buy them separately? At the Costco webpage, I can add them all to the same cart. But don't want them all tied to the same phone in case they go without me.
    Or once you buy them, then you register them to whatever phone you want?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Did you buy them separately? At the Costco webpage, I can add them all to the same cart. But don't want them all tied to the same phone in case they go without me.
    Exactly. Bought them separately since there is no “family pass” option. So when I get my card I downloaded the app and it registered that card to my profile through the app on my phone. Wife did the same thing.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    i bought 2 at the same time from costco. they'll just send you 2 voucher codes so you can buy 2 separate accounts (took like 20-30 minutes for me iirc). there's no harm in placing both in your cart

you'd redeem them here, individually https://www.moviepass.com/coupons/redemption

and dont worry about the billing info, they wont actually bill you since you've already purchased a full year from costco. they just keep the information on hold for when your eventually expires

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Exactly. Bought them separately since there is no “family pass” option. So when I get my card I downloaded the app and it registered that card to my profile through the app on my phone. Wife did the same thing.
    i bought 2 at the same time from costco. they'll just send you 2 voucher codes so you can buy 2 separate accounts (took like 20-30 minutes for me iirc). there's no harm in placing both in your cart

you'd redeem them here, individually https://www.moviepass.com/coupons/redemption

This way, I'll be able to increase the frequency of my movie reviews.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    the main drawback with moviepass is that you'll probably have a tough time catching a very hyped/anticipated blockbuster on the opening friday/saturday. best way to try to get that done would be to go to the theater early morning and buy your ticket then. i bought my star wars tickets at like 12:30am on friday night/sat morning for a sat evening showing.

but yeah, when black panther comes out, i probably will just wait a week and catch it on the second weekend

but with the amount of money i'm saving, im willing to make all sorts of concessions tbh. we've seen a combined 7 movies in the last 35-40 days... which would cost something like $90 ordinarily... for a combined ~18 or so

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    the main drawback with moviepass is that you'll probably have a tough time catching a very hyped/anticipated blockbuster on the opening friday/saturday. best way to try to get that done would be to go to the theater early morning and buy your ticket then. i bought my star wars tickets at like 12:30am on friday night/sat morning for a sat evening showing.

but yeah, when black panther comes out, i probably will just wait a week and catch it on the second weekend

but with the amount of money i'm saving, im willing to make all sorts of concessions tbh. we've seen a combined 7 movies in the last 35-40 days... which would cost something like $90 ordinarily... for a combined ~18 or so
    Yeah...it's a heck of a deal. And I'm never worried about seeing them when they first open anyway. I hate the crowds. And I usually go during a weeknight.
    I can see me catching a lot of the less publicized movies that I wouldn't normally see until they came out on DVD by which point...I usually forget that I wanted to see them.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Yeah...it's a heck of a deal. And I'm never worried about seeing them when they first open anyway. I hate the crowds. And I usually go during a weeknight.
    I can see me catching a lot of the less publicized movies that I wouldn't normally see until they came out on DVD by which point...I usually forget that I wanted to see them.
    this x10

a couple weeks ago my wife had some of her friends over to look at wedding photos... i decided to go catch Jumanji. i would never have thought to spend money at a theater on a thursday evening just to kill a couple hours, but having moviepass made it a viable option. turned out to like jumanji enough to recommend my wife go see it, and we went together last night and i saw it my second time.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    What is great is that they used to have a rule that you could only see a movie once. So it was the one movie a day rule (no IMAX or 3D) and can’t see a movie more than once.

Now if you love Star Wars you can see it as many times as you want as long as it’s once a day.

I know they are working on a 3D/IMAX offering, so I would imagine that comes out at some point. I also know they are working on e-ticketing whic will be massive.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    a) glad this doesn't affect me, i've never even been to the universal location

b) this is supposed to be some kind of power-play by moviepass, since AMC has repeatedly said they have zero intention to collaborate or share profits with MP. MP wants to stick it to AMC to show that they can hurt them by pulling them off their service

c) imo this was premature by moviepass. their subscriber count is still growing pretty rapidly, and they could have waited until they accounted for a more significant percentage of AMC's business before trying to pull a stunt like this. as of now, all they're doing is scaring off potential new subscribers who are reading this news and thinking "once i sign up for moviepass they're going to cut out my local theater"

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    this x10

a couple weeks ago my wife had some of her friends over to look at wedding photos... i decided to go catch Jumanji. i would never have thought to spend money at a theater on a thursday evening just to kill a couple hours, but having moviepass made it a viable option. turned out to like jumanji enough to recommend my wife go see it, and we went together last night and i saw it my second time.
    Critics were WAY off on that one. A friend highly recommended it. Kids (and parents) loved it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    including tickets i already purchased for a showing of ant-man tonight, i've gotten 16 tickets since i activated my account about 6.5 months ago. i paid $90 for a full year during their promo period in december. average ticket prices here are about $13. so i've gotten ~$200-$210 worth of tickets on a $90 investment and still have another 5.5 months or so to go. i still think these guys are gonna go under but its been a worthwhile investment from the consumer end.

AMC has rolled out its own subscription service which looks good, too. but that one costs about 20/mo... and the closest AMC theater to me is about 9 miles away. not a crazy deterrent, but i live 2.2 and 3.5 miles from the 2 closest Pacific Theaters

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I just glanced past an article yesterday that they are running out of money and need to raise a billion dollars.

And I HATE AMC theatres. They're just the worst and if the specific theater wasnt built recently, they're generally filthy. AMC is the old dirty Chinese restaurant of movie theatres.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I just glanced past an article yesterday that they are running out of money and need to raise a billion dollars.

And I HATE AMC theatres. They're just the worst and if the specific theater wasnt built recently, they're generally filthy. AMC is the old dirty Chinese restaurant of movie theatres.
    Yeah like i said, i think they eventually go belly up.

I dont mind amc at all. They’re just not the closest to me. But they typically have more auditoriums per theater than the other chains.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    the AMC subscription is a lot more sound fiscally and imo more likely to succeed than moviepass, unfortunately

with moviepass, they lose money every single time a person goes to a movie, since they reimburse the theater with the full admission price.

AMC doesn't lose money per ticket since they were going to screen the shows anyway. they just lose a potential ticket sale (and that user is already spending $20 for the month), but they likely make up for it with concessions anyway

as a consumer though, spending $20/mo puts me in a spot where i feel like i NEED to see 2 movies per month otherwise im throwing away money. now, i've been on that pace with moviepass, but on my plan i feel like i got my moneys worth months ago so im not pressured to go see movies just for the sake of using my subscription. Now, if AMC offered a year-long bundle for a discount, like $200 for the year (rather than 240 for the 12 months) i'd be more open to that.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Just an aside, if you're an ATT wireless customer you can get two for one tickets on Tuesdays for pretty much any regular 2D movie. Comes in handy for Fathom Events which moviepass doesn't yet cover to my knowledge. Also works with existing discounts-- e.g., Tuesday Cinemark tickets end up being $3.50 each after all the fees. You also get credit for the full purchase price for rewards programs like the one Regal has.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Moviepass ran out of money this weekend and had to get a loan to cover, 's gonna die, so bail now.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Not good when their press release starts to play the "but Netflix..." excuse.

As we continue to evolve the service, certain movies may not always be available in every theater on our platform. This is no different than other in-home streaming options that often don’t carry the latest shows or movies that may be available on other services. For example, you can’t ever find Game of Thrones on Netflix, nor is Season 4 of Schitt’s Creek available there yet. Here at MoviePass, we have strived to make every movie in theaters available to you as part of your subscription, and Peak Pricing has allowed – and will continue to allow – us to do so.

Thread Information