Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    yeah... i'm pretty skeptical they'll be in business for the duration of my annual subscription (through mid-december). still, i've already gotten more than my money's worth, since i got the entire year for $90 (they had a $7/mo promo in december) and have already seen 17 movies (at average ticket price of, say, $13, that would have cost me over $200). even if they went under today i still come ahead pretty well.

apparently they blacked out Mission Impossible this weekend at all theaters except those with an e-ticket arrangement. closest one to me was about 15 miles away, so i just ended up doing that.

on a different note, their business model basically seemed to be

1. grow userbase
    2. ????
    3. profit

turns out step 2 is kinda important. still, i think they did their job in revolutionizing the industry. subscription plans are becoming more popular... AMC has their own version now. i think Sinemia may have been around before moviepass, but they really popularized it. i'll look into sinemia when my annual pass ends/when moviepass goes under

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    LOL trainwreck

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    holy i think it died lol

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    yeah... i'm pretty skeptical they'll be in business for the duration of my annual subscription (through mid-december). still, i've already gotten more than my money's worth, since i got the entire year for $90 (they had a $7/mo promo in december) and have already seen 17 movies (at average ticket price of, say, $13, that would have cost me over $200). even if they went under today i still come ahead pretty well.

apparently they blacked out Mission Impossible this weekend at all theaters except those with an e-ticket arrangement. closest one to me was about 15 miles away, so i just ended up doing that.

1. grow userbase
    2. ????
    3. profit

turns out step 2 is kinda important. still, i think they did their job in revolutionizing the industry. subscription plans are becoming more popular... AMC has their own version now. i think Sinemia may have been around before moviepass, but they really popularized it. i'll look into sinemia when my annual pass ends/when moviepass goes under
    Isn't step 2 them selling your information?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Isn't step 2 them selling your information?
    you are grossly overestimating the value of "your information"

thats why all their services are down for the 2nd time in the last 4 days

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    you are grossly overestimating the value of "your information"

thats why all their services are down for the 2nd time in the last 4 days
    No they are grossly overestimating it. I think it's a stupid business idea.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    No they are grossly overestimating it. I think it's a stupid business idea.
    they also wanted kickbacks from theaters

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    In theory step 2 is a combination of collecting and selling user data + proving the value of their app to affect box office returns. (Ex: Featuring a movie on the first page of the Moviepass app leads to X% increase in box office receipts). They could then capture studio ad dollars to feature certain movies on the app.

Given enough time I do think it could work, but they may have set their own countdown too aggressively with the low cost and lenient policies. They also never really built out the app as a destination for movie recommendations. Most people have already decided what movie they want to see when they open the app.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This was too good to last.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Now they say you won't be able to watch major movies with it from now until when the company finally dies.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    yeah if that's the case i'll just jump over to Sinemia

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    $14.95 now and looks like you have to wait 2 weeks to see the big tentpole movies if I am reading this right

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...0731005582/en/

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I’m locked into my annual subscription and usually don’t mind waiting for a week or two. As long as they stay afloat by December I’ll be satisfied

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The changes were inevitable and if consumers act reasonably and logically (it might change the calculus for a small percentage of users which is understandable) this is not a bad deal at all even going to 14.95 with some limitations.

I’ve been on Moviepass since it first started, shut down, then came back in this current iteration. I’m still sticking with it and 14.95 is still break even on basically one movie a month. Even with the other limitations (have to wait 2 weeks for big movies) they are adding other features like being able to easily see the 3D films you want (for the normal upgrade to IMAX fee you pay at the theater) along with some other things like brining a friend.

As long as they get better at the peak pricing thing, I will be ok with it. I went to a showing 2 weeks ago, paid peak pricing and there were 3 people in the showing.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    The changes were inevitable and if consumers act reasonably and logically (it might change the calculus for a small percentage of users which is understandable) this is not a bad deal at all even going to 14.95 with some limitations.

I’ve been on Moviepass since it first started, shut down, then came back in this current iteration. I’m still sticking with it and 14.95 is still break even on basically one movie a month. Even with the other limitations (have to wait 2 weeks for big movies) they are adding other features like being able to easily see the 3D films you want (for the normal upgrade to IMAX fee you pay at the theater) along with some other things like brining a friend.

As long as they get better at the peak pricing thing, I will be ok with it. I went to a showing 2 weeks ago, paid peak pricing and there were 3 people in the showing.
    luckily peak pricing doesn't apply to people on an annual subscription until their next billing cycle... but i'm probably going to switch over to Sinemia at that point.

https://www.sinemia.com/new-plans

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    College
    LSU Tigers

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I wonder if the two week waiting period might also give MP the data to show that without MP subscriber access to new movies, box office results suffer. This could be used as leverage to offer studios the ability to offer new movies to MP subscribers in exchange for sponsorship fees or some kind of partial reimbursement to MP on tickets sold. But again, they might not be around long enough to see that happen.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    luckily peak pricing doesn't apply to people on an annual subscription until their next billing cycle... but i'm probably going to switch over to Sinemia at that point.

https://www.sinemia.com/new-plans
    Sinemia is still a good deal but no where near moviepass. It may end up being the best most sustainable deal over time, but I see at least 4 movies a month with moviepass and it’s cheaper than Sinemia (although that is still a good deal with the 3 movie option for $15 including IMAX, etc..).

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This was too good to last.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Sinemia is still a good deal but no where near moviepass. It may end up being the best most sustainable deal over time, but I see at least 4 movies a month with moviepass and it’s cheaper than Sinemia (although that is still a good deal with the 3 movie option for $15 including IMAX, etc..).
    yeah moviepass is definitely the better deal... but how much faith do you have they'll be in business for another calendar year? unless you wana stay on board there month to month until they crash

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    yeah moviepass is definitely the better deal... but how much faith do you have they'll be in business for another calendar year? unless you wana stay on board there month to month until they crash
    That’s all I have done is month-to-month so that changes my perspective some.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

1. grow userbase
    2. ????
    3. profit

WTF are you serious? I watch 3- 5 new movies tops per year. I admit Ill miss a few good movies and go back watch them years later. But its very minimal. It would take me like 5 years to watch 17 movies.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    WTF are you serious? I watch 3- 5 new movies tops per year. I admit Ill miss a few good movies and go back watch them years later. But its very minimal. It would take me like 5 years to watch 17 movies.
    If not for MoviePass i probably would have seen about 9-10 or so. But now that i have a year paid for, i go more liberally.

But with or without moviepass, i woulda watched Last Jedi, Black Panther, Avengers, Ant Man, Mission Impossible, Quiet Place, Deadpool, Incredibles 2, Jurassic World off top of my head

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If not for MoviePass i probably would have seen about 9-10 or so. But now that i have a year paid for, i go more liberally.

But with or without moviepass, i woulda watched Last Jedi, Black Panther, Avengers, Ant Man, Mission Impossible, Quiet Place, Deadpool, Incredibles 2, Jurassic World off top of my head
    Oh this explains it. Out of all the movies you just listed I would only care to see MI. Im not a comic book guy at all. I grew watching and playing sports not playing with figurines and monitos. I honestly cant stand people that get nerded out over a ing comic book/cartoon. If I ever go to a comic con it would be against my will and then only for the s and drinks not the characters.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Oh this explains it. Out of all the movies you just listed I would only care to see MI. Im not a comic book guy at all. I grew watching and playing sports not playing with figurines and monitos. I honestly cant stand people that get nerded out over a ing comic book/cartoon. If I ever go to a comic con it would be against my will and then only for the s and drinks not the characters.
    Dam bro you’re so ing hetero

Thread Information