Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    I really don't get all the conference counting. Ohio state fans were pissed at Michigan for losing because it blemishes their argument that the Big X is the toughest. SEC will use the argument that the championship game is an all SEC contest, Big XII fans will argue that they had a great bowl season and UCF fans will argue that the five power conferences unfairly assume that only their teams can compete for the le. All are right to some extent, I guess, but it begs the question as to what extent the bowl games mimic more meaningful contests. Players sit out, some teams are in coaching transitions, some teams are deflated, some teams have something to prove, etc., and so the question is whether or not judging conference strength by these bowl games is really the standard.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Yeah, I concur that the conference counting is pretty lame. I'm actually glad that undersized piece of Mayfield lost.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    1 question before I elaborate. Need to know why you feel Bama doesn't deserve it.

Is it undeserved because...."they're not one of the 4 best teams" or "they didn't win their conference championship"?
    I think they're the best team in the country. I'm not sure they deserve to be in the le game over UCF.

All you're doing to say "they deserve it" is using the eye test.

The 4 team playoff is re ed. 8 would have included all conferences winners plus Bama plus UCF.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    I think they're the best team in the country. I'm not sure they deserve to be in the le game over UCF.

All you're doing to say "they deserve it" is using the eye test.

The 4 team playoff is re ed. 8 would have included all conferences winners plus Bama plus UCF.
    i agree that the only way to really resolve any uncertainty and any slights to teams that deserved a chance is to go with the 8 team format.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I really don't get all the conference counting. Ohio state fans were pissed at Michigan for losing because it blemishes their argument that the Big X is the toughest. SEC will use the argument that the championship game is an all SEC contest, Big XII fans will argue that they had a great bowl season and UCF fans will argue that the five power conferences unfairly assume that only their teams can compete for the le. All are right to some extent, I guess, but it begs the question as to what extent the bowl games mimic more meaningful contests. Players sit out, some teams are in coaching transitions, some teams are deflated, some teams have something to prove, etc., and so the question is whether or not judging conference strength by these bowl games is really the standard.
    This is what happens when you root for a conference. Alabama has really ruled CFB for the past 6 or so years. Ohio St. Clemson, a poor 2nd. Choklahoma... I put them last for choking.

I am happy it's an SEC final for one reason. It means Oklahoma, with Baker Mayfield, LOST. The other game meh...
    The world is good. We have to keep these beautiful hateful in conference rivalries alive IMO. The teams in the SEC actually chant SEC? If it was a confederacy thing I would get it. Otherwise, I really don't like any system requiring one to wish in conference foes to win.

So, go beat up your neighbor next door, not the guy from another city. That's what UT has done with Aggie for eons. Beat up little cousin. And they still hate us for it. It's a beautiful thing.

A mobile black QB, the big guys can run......that appears to work.

Couldn't care less about an all SEC anything, it just doesn't matter.

It wouldn't shock me to see Georgia win, it would take some freakish special teams plays however. Bama SHOULD win.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Baker Mayfield is a great college QB, really impressed with his game, would have loved to have seen him in the biggie.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    This is what happens when you root for a conference. Alabama has really ruled CFB for the past 6 or so years. Ohio St. Clemson, a poor 2nd. Choklahoma... I put them last for choking.

I am happy it's an SEC final for one reason. It means Oklahoma, with Baker Mayfield, LOST. The other game meh...
    The world is good. We have to keep these beautiful hateful in conference rivalries alive IMO. The teams in the SEC actually chant SEC? If it was a confederacy thing I would get it. Otherwise, I really don't like any system requiring one to wish in conference foes to win.

So, go beat up your neighbor next door, not the guy from another city. That's what UT has done with Aggie for eons. Beat up little cousin. And they still hate us for it. It's a beautiful thing.
    any fan base that roots for its conference's teams to win is doing the equivalent to 'chanting', and the fact that I see so many fans posting their conference tallies in regards to bowl games won is indicative of this. and, of course, this is all about validating some sort of 'feel good' about how good one's team really is since they play a supposedly tougher schedule (or are a part of the 'best' conference) but that plays to the broader point about how this will continue as long as there is a 4 team playoff format.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    any fan base that roots for its conference's teams to win is doing the equivalent to 'chanting', and the fact that I see so many fans posting their conference tallies in regards to bowl games won is indicative of this. and, of course, this is all about validating some sort of 'feel good' about how good one's team really is since they play a supposedly tougher schedule (or are a part of the 'best' conference) but that plays to the broader point about how this will continue as long as there is a 4 team playoff format.
    Yep.

Personally I think the two best teams over the season are in. I don't like the fact Ohio St. & Alabama got byed into the final 4. I am ambivalent about conference championships. On the one hand, if you have too many teams in a conference you can't play everyone and it makes sense. But then it turns into having 4???? out of conference games, 3 of which are against div II level teams? Bad news. I really dont know what it means to win your conference at present.

The good thing about this year's final is that it might act as a conference championship and a National championship game.

The All Alabama offensive.

QB...Joe Namath/Kenny Stabler
    RB...Derrick Henry
    RB...Mark Ingram/Shaun Alexander
    WR...Don Hutson
    WE...Julio Jones/Armani Cooper
    TE...Ozzie Newsome

Who can do Georgia?

The All Alabama offensive.

QB...Joe Namath/Kenny Stabler
    RB...Derrick Henry
    RB...Mark Ingram/Shaun Alexander
    WR...Don Hutson
    WE...Julio Jones/Armani Cooper
    TE...Ozzie Newsome

Who can do Georgia?
    That's funny. It sounds like a nickname Spurstalk would give an underperformer.

My Team
    Arizona State Sun Devils
    Post Count
    So what's everyone feeling tonight? Bama gonna run away with it? Georgia gonna keep it close or even win?

Bama - 27
    Georgia - 6

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Boise State Broncos
    Post Count
    Alabama rolls to an easy win, imo. Just foolish to pick a Georgia sports team to win a big game.

My Team
    Boise State Broncos
    Post Count
    And Fromm has already thrown a pick. Classic Georgia sports.

My Team
    Boise State Broncos
    Post Count
    That field goal... holy .

My Team
    Boise State Broncos
    Post Count
    Michel > Chubb

My Team
    Arizona State Sun Devils
    Post Count
    Great body control right there.

My Team
    Arizona State Sun Devils
    Post Count
    Fromm is having an awful game so far.

The Golden Goddess TheCultOfPersonality's Avatar
    My Team
    Ole Miss Rebels
    Post Count
    3rd and 20 and the Alabama defense can't stop Michel from running and getting the 1st down. Pathetic.

My Team
    Arizona State Sun Devils
    Post Count
    3rd and 20 and the Alabama defense can't stop Michel from running and getting the 1st down. Pathetic.
    Thought it was a great run myself. They basically forced him out of bounds but he managed to maintain great balance control.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    lmao Bama

My Team
    Boise State Broncos
    Post Count
    Bama got absolutely dominated this half and they're only down 13. Still expecting a typical Georgia sports choke.

My Team
    Arizona State Sun Devils
    Post Count
    Bama got absolutely dominated this half and they're only down 13. Still expecting a typical Georgia sports choke.
    Pretty much this.

My Team
    Boise State Broncos
    Post Count
    Damn, Saban actually had the balls to bench Hurts.

My Team
    Boise State Broncos
    Post Count
    Oh look, a bull call to save Bama from a blocked punt.

My Team
    Arizona State Sun Devils
    Post Count
    Refs stepping in for Bama now.

Thread Information