Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think I want to watch the Spurs draft Wall E at point guard. Or watch a new Terminator movie starring a real Terminator.

I also like talking to a human over the phone when taking care of business.

Currently, I'm not sure what high demand jobs I'm scared of humans losing out to robots on. You have any in mind?
    I agree about preferring to speak to a human but that has no bearing on anything. I'd prefer to talk to someone that speaks good English when cancelling a credit card or getting tech help but that's pretty much been phased out.
    I guess the first jobs that will be taken over are in the fast food industry. Obviously cashiers are losing jobs to the self check out lanes. I don't have to go to the bank to make deposits or transfer money much anymore. I'd guess that most factory workers can eventually be replaced. Stock brokers are becoming more and more obsolete which is fine by me. But at some point, I believe that robots and AI will eventually replace doctors, lawyers, management. And the military.

I just don't think it's too early to discuss what happens next. Maybe it's UBI.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh, this may have already been posted but AI is overrated.

The Marines Once Beat AI Detection By Hiding In Cardboard Boxes, Evoking 'Metal Gear' Memes

knowyourmeme.com/marines-beat-ai-detection-by-hiding-in-cardboard-box
    File not found. But regardless, they'll eventually figure it out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    imo we destroy ourselves first.
    So maybe robots doing jobs for out of work robots.
    We have done a fine job of poisoning the water air and land, don’t see why this should not continue. It’s a lot easier. Especially during wars.
    I guess that's one way to look at it. So it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    File not found. But regardless, they'll eventually figure it out.
    https://knowyourmeme.com/news/the-ma...ardboard-boxes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree about preferring to speak to a human but that has no bearing on anything. I'd prefer to talk to someone that speaks good English when cancelling a credit card or getting tech help but that's pretty much been phased out.
    I guess the first jobs that will be taken over are in the fast food industry. Obviously cashiers are losing jobs to the self check out lanes. I don't have to go to the bank to make deposits or transfer money much anymore. I'd guess that most factory workers can eventually be replaced. Stock brokers are becoming more and more obsolete which is fine by me. But at some point, I believe that robots and AI will eventually replace doctors, lawyers, management. And the military.

I just don't think it's too early to discuss what happens next. Maybe it's UBI.
    Right now many places are struggling to fill positions for cashiers and fast food joints.

Instead of 3 tellers at the banks now there's one.

Factory workers being replaced by robots has been happening for decades.

I'm fine with robots replacing doctors if it means visits are dirt cheap. It's ing ridiculous people have to keep paying them to get recurring prescriptions they know they need.

I would never want a robot lawyer. Not sure who would.

Management? Robots in the factories can get promotions?

Military already has drones and such. I find it hard to believe there'll be a time when recruiting offices shut down because they have too many robots already

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right now many places are struggling to fill positions for cashiers and fast food joints. Instead of 3 tellers at the banks now there's one. Factory workers being replaced by robots has been happening for decades.

I'm fine with robots replacing doctors if it means visits are dirt cheap. It's ing ridiculous people have to keep paying them to get recurring prescriptions they know they need.

I would never want a robot lawyer. Not sure who would.

Management? Robots in the factories can get promotions?
    Man...maybe I'm crazy but I think AI is going to be able to do way more than you think it can. I don't know if you'll actually replace a trial lawyer but I bet they'll figure out how to read do ents, laws, etc.
    Yeah...management in terms of being able to look at all available information and make decisions? I have no doubt that's coming. There will still be people involved but much less than are employed now.

And you didn't really address my question about what happens to the jobs that are replaced? Fast food hires like 5,000,000 people. Factory workers are 14,000,000. Do you really not think this will be an issue at some point?

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess that's one way to look at it. So it?
    Face it. Fix it.

Fk it is for lazy ass people.

And I think AI and robotics are two really different things.
    My impression is that robots involve some sort of physical motion. A servo could be considered a robot. I think robots that have to do very specific precise motions are going to continue to get better. But on the level of a human hand with legs and arms... I think this is Jetson miles away.

Directly below is straight forward.

Now have the below pick up a violin and walk around playing. Make it ride a bicycle while playing... continue ad nausem. I think this is Jetson stuff, aint gonna happen. And I think all the very fine movements put together make this awful sounding. Have a robot pick this violin up, tune it, then make up a totally new song based on some piano solo Bach did. or anything of your desire musically. We both can think of more tasks that require more imagination. Then you got AI and robotics together.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Face it. Fix it.

Fk it is for lazy ass people.

And I think AI and robotics are two really different things.
    My impression is that robots involve some sort of physical motion. A servo could be considered a robot. I think robots that have to do very specific precise motions are going to continue to get better. But on the level of a human hand with legs and arms... I think this is Jetson miles away.

Directly below is straight forward.

Now have the below pick up a violin and walk around playing. Make it ride a bicycle while playing... continue ad nausem. I think this is Jetson stuff, aint gonna happen. And I think all the very fine movements put together make this awful sounding. Have a robot pick this violin up, tune it, then make up a totally new song based on some piano solo Bach did. or anything of your desire musically. We both can think of more tasks that require more imagination. Then you got AI and robotics together.

I think you're dead wrong with how quickly technology progresses. And no one is trying to develop a robot that plays violin while riding a bike. They're working on things to replace people. And they'll get there. I'm really surprised you don't have this same opinion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you're dead wrong with how quickly technology progresses. And no one is trying to develop a robot that plays violin while riding a bike. They're working on things to replace people. And they'll get there. I'm really surprised you don't have this same opinion.
    So musical entertainment is not an industry?
    You think there comes a time when humans will sit down and only want to listen to robots live?

I think we are actually of the same mind. I think robots will continue to progress with straightforward motion. But there are too many things that multiply on top of each other that we consider jobs that a robot will not work for. You think a robot is going to replace a human teacher? I know learning as a whole might change, but just take the task of teaching as essential. I dont see it. I think we sometimes think we have the future figured out because we have witnessed some sort of huge technological change so now we can see it. Just because we have made what we consider massive headway into mundane motions on a large scale. I see too many human activities that have difficulties that just multiply exponentially. There are so many jobs that require human brains because we dont realize that seemingly straightforward jobs are massively difficult. Go to the grocery and get a peach of just the right size, texture and smell. What does that involve? We are still trying to understand this with our own brains.

And I dont wish you to be upset in any way upon disagreement. I think it s cool. imo you ask very good fundamental questions that make all of us think.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And maybe I am asking single robots to do way too many jobs where there could be a bunch of "in-between" robots that can carry them out one by one.
    But then... just get a human...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont want to live anymore when these types of videos are not available.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So musical entertainment is not an industry?
    You think there comes a time when humans will sit down and only want to listen to robots live?

I think we are actually of the same mind. I think robots will continue to progress with straightforward motion. But there are too many things that multiply on top of each other that we consider jobs that a robot will not work for. You think a robot is going to replace a human teacher? I know learning as a whole might change, but just take the task of teaching as essential. I dont see it. I think we sometimes think we have the future figured out because we have witnessed some sort of huge technological change so now we can see it. Just because we have made what we consider massive headway into mundane motions on a large scale. I see too many human activities that have difficulties that just multiply exponentially. There are so many jobs that require human brains because we dont realize that seemingly straightforward jobs are massively difficult. Go to the grocery and get a peach of just the right size, texture and smell. What does that involve? We are still trying to understand this with our own brains.

And I dont wish you to be upset in any way upon disagreement. I think it s cool. imo you ask very good fundamental questions that make all of us think.
    Sure...musical entertainment is an industry. And I wouldn't want to go watch a bunch of robots play Gimme Shelter. But from generating music, they'll get to the point where algorithms write most of the pop music. They'll get a good looking singer to deliver the music. It's not much different than what we have now as far as pop.

Yes, I think a robot will eventually replace a real teacher. As time goes on, I think people will become more used to the idea of learning from the internet or some computer generated class. Everything is already out there. If I wanted to learn Quantum Physics, I think I could. At least to the 99% point (if I was smart enough). And maybe that 1% difference makes a difference to 1% of the people at the upper end.

As to peaches, it's a throwaway. Deliver me 12 peaches and I'll deal with it. If two are bad, I'll just write it off if I'm saving money.

I'm certainly not upset. I just think we're way behind the curve on this. But I'm sure that the people "in the know" have something figured out.

Where are all the fast food workers going to find jobs?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And maybe I am asking single robots to do way too many jobs where there could be a bunch of "in-between" robots that can carry them out one by one.
    But then... just get a human...
    Get a human that gets sick or just bails for some random reason? The cost of robots will eventually come down to not thinking twice about replacing the human. Not to mention not having to pay insurance and taxes. The robot might up once in a while but damn...if I order anything through the drive in that's not exactly on the menu, my order is wrong about 25% of the time. And it's usually as simple as putting mus instead of mayo. And if I'm going through a drive in, I'm just expecting to have the right. Not a gourmet meal.

You can eventually program the mistakes out of a robot. You'll never do that with humans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What year do you think "they'll" get there?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get a human that gets sick or just bails for some random reason? The cost of robots will eventually come down to not thinking twice about replacing the human. Not to mention not having to pay insurance and taxes. The robot might up once in a while but damn...if I order anything through the drive in that's not exactly on the menu, my order is wrong about 25% of the time. And it's usually as simple as putting mus instead of mayo. And if I'm going through a drive in, I'm just expecting to have the right. Not a gourmet meal.

You can eventually program the mistakes out of a robot. You'll never do that with humans.
    It's usually a teenager ing up the fast food order. I might prefer a robot that can't spit

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Robots are expensive. AI is expensive. Burgers are cheap. I cannot see advanced AI being used to push burgers out a window. It can be done with simple PLCs and ladder logic. It's just too expensive to do and you'd have to pay more to have it serviced than it costs to pay low wage workers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This is the easier stuff.
    Im talking about the limitations…. I don’t think there will ever be a robot using the robotics I have seen today and most likely the future do anything like a what a human hand can do. A robot will not fix my piece of Samsung refrigerator ever. The contortions I physically performed… you will have to make a robot as subtle in movement as the delicate yet powerful octopus arm.
    Because that’s what it took buster!
    And no you can’t just ask the robot to just bring me a whole new frig.

And I still might not have fixed it. But the mystery of it all is to be determined. A robot won’t get a sense of confusion about the whole process and then kick the frig into working order.

So let’s say you have just written a beautiful piece of satire concerning Avante. You accidentally cut the paper up while shredding your old Father’s Day ties and tinfoil hats. How is a robot going to pick out the pieces of paper and tape the manuscript back together piece by piece?
    And then realize that new sentences were constructed that made that work so much better put back together the wrong way?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure...musical entertainment is an industry. And I wouldn't want to go watch a bunch of robots play Gimme Shelter. But from generating music, they'll get to the point where algorithms write most of the pop music. They'll get a good looking singer to deliver the music. It's not much different than what we have now as far as pop.

Yes, I think a robot will eventually replace a real teacher. As time goes on, I think people will become more used to the idea of learning from the internet or some computer generated class. Everything is already out there. If I wanted to learn Quantum Physics, I think I could. At least to the 99% point (if I was smart enough). And maybe that 1% difference makes a difference to 1% of the people at the upper end.

As to peaches, it's a throwaway. Deliver me 12 peaches and I'll deal with it. If two are bad, I'll just write it off if I'm saving money.

I'm certainly not upset. I just think we're way behind the curve on this. But I'm sure that the people "in the know" have something figured out.

Where are all the fast food workers going to find jobs?
    You are a peach waister sir.

The job for the fast food workers will entail explaining how and why the robot screwed up each item ordered.
    Thereby eliminating the “fast” in food.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Robots are expensive. AI is expensive. Burgers are cheap. I cannot see advanced AI being used to push burgers out a window. It can be done with simple PLCs and ladder logic. It's just too expensive to do and you'd have to pay more to have it serviced than it costs to pay low wage workers.
    Yeah but once you get robots to create the AI themselves and then repair themselves it gets cheaper

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah but once you get robots to create the AI themselves and then repair themselves it gets cheaper
    Physics guys want to create exactly this and unleash it (self replicating evolving robots) upon the universe to show humans we were here at one time….? For why?
    Im asking why these robots are not already on earth… created by intelligences greater than ours from other places. (Note: I personally do not believe intelligences anything like ours exist. And not from a “we are so special” point of view.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Von Neumann burger machines. Kill me now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (CNN)ChatGPT is smart enough to pass prestigious graduate-level exams -- though not with particularly high marks.

The powerful new AI chatbot tool recently passed law exams in four courses at the University of Minnesota and another exam at University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School of Business, according to professors at the schools.

To test how well ChatGPT could generate answers on exams for the four courses, professors at the University of Minnesota Law School recently graded the tests blindly. After completing 95 multiple choice questions and 12 essay questions, the bot performed on average at the level of a C+ student, achieving a low but passing grade in all four courses.......

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/26/tech/...ams/index.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are a peach waister sir.

The job for the fast food workers will entail explaining how and why the robot screwed up each item ordered.
    Thereby eliminating the “fast” in food.
    Amen brother, those ai/robots will still find a way to screw up an order.

Customer: I will have a burger and a medium coca-cola please.
    Robot: Did you say you wanted a “dentist?”

Thread Information