Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whenever I mention anything about robots taking jobs to people in real life, they kind of nod their head and move on to another subject. Like I'm crazy or something.
    And while it's starting to get a little press, I think this is one of the major stories of the next 10+ years.

Gonna put a lot of people out of work. Most of the low and mid end service industry. Most factory jobs and drivers. And pretty soon, plenty of white collar jobs will be obsolete. Not many industries will be immune to having robots or AI systems replace workers.

And yet there's not much press on how society is going to move forward at that point.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The loss of good jobs has already been in progress for decades, without AI and robots, ever since the oligarchy reacted to the 1930s progress and esp the 1960s progress. AI and robots (see an Amazon warehouse. with 100K+ ty-paying retail jobs lost this year)

40M+ people are on working and/or subsisting on public assistance, which will be cut ASAP

For the oligarchy, probably 100M Americans are totally expendable, disposable, and 100Ks of them will suffer and die for lack of health care.

And the $100Bs costs of their sufferings and deaths will enrich the BigHealthCare oligarchy.

The Repug tax cut scam will cause much more damage, sooner, and for a long time than AI and robots, but you rightwingnutjob Breitbart/Fox fans aren't in the least bit concerned.

a thread on robots and AI? G M A F B

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which is why we should be stressing and subsidizing education

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whenever I mention anything about robots taking jobs to people in real life, they kind of nod their head and move on to another subject. Like I'm crazy or something.
    And while it's starting to get a little press, I think this is one of the major stories of the next 10+ years.

Gonna put a lot of people out of work. Most of the low and mid end service industry. Most factory jobs and drivers. And pretty soon, plenty of white collar jobs will be obsolete. Not many industries will be immune to having robots or AI systems replace workers.

And yet there's not much press on how society is going to move forward at that point.
    What's there to do? It's called progress and has been happening since the industrial revolution. People will have to learn different skills for what's needed at the time, and move on to those.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which is why we should be stressing and subsidizing education
    the oligarchy billionaires are dead set on killing K-12 and denying access to higher ed, while their families can and will pay cash for the very best private education

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's there to do? It's called progress and has been happening since the industrial revolution. People will have to learn different skills for what's needed at the time, and move on to those.
    I don't have a problem with progress. And I agree that people will have to learn different skills. But there's only so many new jobs that are going to evolve out of this. A very limited amount.
    But this is going to happen way sooner than Jim Bob realizes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't have a problem with progress. And I agree that people will have to learn different skills. But there's only so many new jobs that are going to evolve out of this. A very limited amount.
    But this is going to happen way sooner than Jim Bob realizes.
    It's why the US moved to a 'services' economy, since the mid-90s. Yeah, it won't be pretty, but there's no avoiding it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

People always expect technology to put a lot of people out of work but it usually only does in certain fields while creating jobs no one could have foreseen in others. I have a job training A.I. from home which only exists because of technology for instance

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People always expect technology to put a lot of people out of work but it usually only does in certain fields while creating jobs no one could have foreseen in others. I have a job training A.I. from home which only exists because of technology for instance
    Sure...it will provide some new jobs. But nowhere close to a 1 for 1 or even 50 to 1 switch. And it doesn't matter how many of these manual laborers go get higher education. Not going to be enough jobs.

It's going to be a problem.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can we let those coal miners know, Darrin?

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Time for more investments in cleaner energy. That's how you win the next 100 years of supreme dominance. Not going back in time.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Time for more investments in cleaner energy. That's how you win the next 100 years of supreme dominance. Not going back in time.
    Repugs intend to kill wind and solar investments, while forcing taxpayers to prop up coal and nuclear.

Pres of Ford said China is going to win the EV race, be the dominant EV market, while Repugs plan to kill the EV subsidy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty caviler at ude. I can buy a robot that will lick my butt and doesn't have chancre sores.
    You willing to let your mom live with you?

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty caviler at ude. I can buy a robot that will lick my butt and doesn't have chancre sores.
    You willing to let your mom live with you?
    I just googled chancre. How does one come find that word?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just googled chancre. How does one come find that word?
    your mom and then ask the doctor what that on your is.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    your mom and then ask the doctor what that on your is.
    It's alright buddy... I feel your pain. Metaphorically.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's alright buddy... I feel your pain. Metaphorically.
    translation...

you know that was funny up there

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    translation...

you know that was funny up there

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure...it will provide some new jobs. But nowhere close to a 1 for 1 or even 50 to 1 switch. And it doesn't matter how many of these manual laborers go get higher education. Not going to be enough jobs.

It's going to be a problem.
    Those numbers are just pulled right out of your ass tbh. There's an article about how Germany dealing with it that was very good which I'll post later if I can find it when I get off work

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fake News! The Rust Best is getting those jobs back, bigtime!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those numbers are just pulled right out of your ass tbh. There's an article about how Germany dealing with it that was very good which I'll post later if I can find it when I get off work
    You're right. But there's no way it's a 1 to 1 tradeoff. Maybe it's not 50 to 1. But many more jobs will be lost than created.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The loss of brick and mortar retail and restauraunt jobs is being expedited due to talks of unrealistic minimum wages. Education doesn't matter when more people are graduating college but average IQ is lowering. It's a real issue and cause for concern when business can replace over the workforce, and cut It's heaviest overhead doing so, for automation. There isn't going to be enough work created by the technological shift and clean energy isn't a large enough industry either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The loss of brick and mortar retail and restauraunt jobs is being expedited due to talks of unrealistic minimum wages. Education doesn't matter when more people are graduating college but average IQ is lowering. It's a real issue and cause for concern when business can replace over the workforce, and cut It's heaviest overhead doing so, for automation. There isn't going to be enough work created by the technological shift and clean energy isn't a large enough industry either.
    meh, Amazon Prime is just convenient. Heard CVS will start offering next day home delivery of prescriptions since rumblings of Amazon entering the prescription drug market sounded off the alarms.

That's where retail is going, home delivery, 'free' returns/exchanges, etc...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    meh, Amazon Prime is just convenient. Heard CVS will start offering next day home delivery of prescriptions since rumblings of Amazon entering the prescription drug market sounded off the alarms.

That's where retail is going, home delivery, 'free' returns/exchanges, etc...
    Yup, and that's lots of lost jobs right there.

Thread Information