Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurstalk's hate boner on Pop never fails to make me laugh. Everyone circle-jerking around Pop sitting Timmy to on him, completely glossing over the fact that Pop had to have the Spurs in the Finals to even be able to make that mistake in the first place. Close to 10 years later, a ring later, and folks still haven't lived it down. Thinking Bud (a coach repeatedly and famously criticized for under-playing their stars!!) wouldn't have made a mistake in that situation, or in the multiple previous instances, that would've prevented the Spurs from ringing too, is laughable.

ing Bud the guy consistently underperformed in the POs until he got carried by a superstar on a mission in Giannis. For all the talk around here of Duncan carrying Pop, y'all sure aren't using that same stick to evaluate Bud right now, even with Giannis dropping ¡50! to close out the series. The myopic strength of ST is impressive.

For the record, Bud right now is still preferable over current Pop IMO, just because Pop's done as a coach mentally, but it's a low, low bar to cross (sadly); and building up Bud as some genius that would've won us '13 is plain stupid.
    Well said.

And I'm in the unpopular crew that thinks benching Duncan there wasn't a mistake at all. It was playing the odds by putting five players on the floor that could guard the three-point line. A bad result does not automatically imply a bad decision.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's the same with Giannis! I've been calling him a superstar all year and saying he was being overlooked. I was astonished when the odds on mybookie.com for the Bucks were 10-1 before the playoffs started... I bet $150 and won $1500, so I'm obviously very happy. But now suddenly all these people who said Giannis would never win a le because he couldn't shoot are saying he's the best player in the league and a great symbol of class and humility! Love it.
    Totally agreed. Not only on Giannis (nice job on that bet! Total respect to you for putting your money where your mouth was, enjoy the payout my guy) but the whole narrative shift. Suddenly Giannis is some perfect player, a literal god, and Bud's struggles and bad coaching habits get swooped under the carpet because he won a ring. I still remember everyone and their mother saying the Bucks had to get rid of him when this past season was starting...

And yeah, Giannis has been a superstar for some time now, since his first MVP probably. American fans are too myopic in assessing players' popularity since they only care for the local market. Same people will say Doncic or Jokic aren't superstars right now... Basketball is more global than ever before, and US folks are too quick at assuming that since they don't care for a foreign star, that the world won't either, when it's the exact opposite. Very skewed optics.

Thread Information