Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So many isos.

Rated very poorly offensively.

Pop will get 100% of the credit for all success, but its funny how the spurs have been complete ape offensively since bud left.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We don't exactly have the personal to play the way we are custom to seeing. Our best drivers are way to old. This has been an issue for a while now and head office dud not address. As much as we want a big, we desperately need a PG or SG that can drive.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're running postups like it's 1986. To top it off Fathead and Fatty Melt have to be the worst entry passers in NBA history

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs best offense was from 2012-2014 which was post Bud.

Not sure why we went away from the Beautiful Game tbh. I know LMA and Kawhi like their ISOs, but I feel like they could be even better in a real offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Not sure why we went away from the Beautiful Game tbh. I know LMA and Kawhi like their ISOs, but I feel like they could be even better in a real offense.
    yeah, it's less to do with bud and more about the way our 2 best offensive players operate.

the decline of parker (basically killing our pick and roll game), diaw, duncan and emergence of kawhi have led to this more mechanical version of offense

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Aldridge would never play well in an offense like that IMO..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    offense running through tony/duncan always had a lot of movement... that's natural in a pick and roll heavy system. right now our offense initiates by giving kawhi/LMA an entry pass and giving them room. it's why LMA was never a championship level #1 in portland. it's also why our offense goes to when they become so kawhi dependent and he suddenly gets hurt.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd have said the same about DeRozan before this season. Reality is, if Aldridge or anyone is interested in even pretending to contend for a championship in this era, they have to be willing to. Nobody is riding ISO ball to a championship and before anyone says James and Irving, they caught a ton of breaks in the '16 Finals and Warriors didn't have Durant yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    offense running through tony/duncan always had a lot of movement... that's natural in a pick and roll heavy system. right now our offense initiates by giving kawhi/LMA an entry pass and giving them room. it's why LMA was never a championship level #1 in portland. it's also why our offense goes to when they become so kawhi dependent and he suddenly gets hurt.
    Agree about the lack of movement right now. But Kawhi and LMA don't operate in the same way. Kawhi didn't abuse of post-ups last season he was leading the league as ball handler in P&Rs situations a good part of the season

Having a guy that can drive strong and get calls isn't the same thing that having a guy expecting an entry pass

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree about the lack of movement right now. But Kawhi and LMA don't operate in the same way. Kawhi didn't abuse of post-ups last season he was leading the league as ball handler in P&Rs situations a good part of the season

Having a guy that can drive strong and get calls isn't the same thing that having a guy expecting an entry pass
    true, but even as the lead ball handler in P&R situations he was only averaging like 3.5 assists per game.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

One can dream. They cant move without the ball, and dont screen. They arent playmakers. They are scorers only.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bud was here for 2013.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd take Bud over Pop right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bud was here for 2013.
    Good call...feels like he's been with Atlanta forever, but he left the summer of 2013.

Maybe OP has a point...perhaps Pop has been watering down his system after that.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2014 was an abnormality. The players wanted just as bad as the coaching staff. That catastrophic defeat galvanized us. Buds ideas could have stayed for one more year. But I don't think Pop has slacked off either. 2014 can't be repeated. Only beating GSWs could that happen. He was doing that last year before injuries happened. So no, Pop brought the magic last year. A lot of people are small picture type people.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    true, but even as the lead ball handler in P&R situations he was only averaging like 3.5 assists per game.
    Kawhi 4.6 apg in last playoffs

KD 4.3 apg in last playoffs

KD 3.9 apg in his career.

A player can facilitate the offense because of his own gravity on that end than for his assts numbers...

Until Kawhi got injured he had even better numbers than Harden and KD in last playoffs.

Of course averaging 10 apg is fantastic but it wasn't never the case of Spurs players in last 20 years.

I'm just saying that people think that Kawhi and LMA games are similar but they aren't. Both players get their points in a different way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi 4.6 apg in last playoffs

KD 4.3 apg in last playoffs

KD 3.9 apg in his career.

A player can facilitate the offense because of his own gravity on that end than for his assts numbers...

Until Kawhi got injured he had even better numbers than Harden and KD in last playoffs.

Of course averaging 10 apg is fantastic but it wasn't never the case of Spurs scorers in last 20 years.

I'm just saying that people think that Kawhi and LMA games are similar but they aren't. Both players get their points in a different way.
    KD on a team where Curry and Green do a lot of the facilitating and ball handling... vs Kawhi on a team that fed almost exclusively through him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KD on a team where Curry and Green do a lot of the facilitating and ball handling... vs Kawhi on a team that fed almost exclusively through him
    Kawhi and KD have virtually identical usage rates the past 3 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tons of guards on the team.. But a 40 years old guy is still the best of them.

It's stupid to expect that the team could surround Kawhi with GSW talent but playing him alongside 40 y o guys and inexperienced role players isn't ideal either. At least they should have gotten an upgrade at PG/SG positions...But it will never happen after Mills contract and next Parker deal.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbh.. Aldridge is scoring more efficiently in PnR rolls to the basket (49%) than he is posting up (43%).

And Gasol has become an elite roller too ( shooting 74% in rolls vs 41% in post ups).

The problem is Pop has them posting up more than they roll in PnRs lol.

Which makes no sense to me because they could manufacture better looks off the roll for others than they can from the post.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I totally agree I have no earthly idea what Poop is thinking?? Our offense just plain sucks and when your best ball handler SG is 49+ plus years old well the Poop amd RC screwed up.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So many isos.

Rated very poorly offensively.

Pop will get 100% of the credit for all success, but its funny how the spurs have been complete ape offensively since bud left.
    Misusing a colloquial term in an OP.
    Today's rube.
    Soccer board is safe space.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As if Bud has done such a bang up job with the Hawks. I'm surprised he's still employed. He'll be back here when he's fired, no worries OP.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As if Bud has done such a bang up job with the Hawks. I'm surprised he's still employed. He'll be back here when he's fired, no worries OP.
    ??? It's not like he's had a prime Duncan all of his career. He just took the Hawks to the Eastern Conference finals when they actually had a good team and got them out of the second round for the first time in 48 years. It's not his fault the Hawks are a organization with fans. But yeah, tear down Bud to prop up Poop.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're running postups like it's 1986. To top it off Fathead and Fatty Melt have to be the worst entry passers in NBA history
    Pau has thrown away several hi-lo passes to LMA

Thread Information