My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According to McDonald pop said he expects leonard to play again this season
    https://mobile.twitter.com/JMcDonald...71214610280454

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Odds are overwhelming that none of the players in this draft become someone good enough to be the best player on a championship team. Suffice it to say, that's the most difficult and important piece to attain, especially so for a non destination city. Even if the pick becomes an All-Star, the other piece a starter and Murray one as well, that team has no chance of contending for a championship. Put the right piece(s) around this one and it does.
    Yet the Spurs might never be able to put the right pieces around Kawhi because of the existence of Golden State and that they might not exist; it really is difficult to build a team around an SF as your best player (Lebron notwithstanding). At least if you acquire a Doncic/Bamba/Bagley/Ayton you give yourself a good shot down the road, especially if Murray pans out.

That doesn't even get into the obvious health concerns that prompt this hesitance to give him the supermax.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According to McDonald pop said he expects leonard to play again this season
    https://mobile.twitter.com/JMcDonald...71214610280454
    Just like they expected Kawhi to be back "sooner rather than later" 2 months ago....

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the guy can't heal a ing quad in half a year.
    Needs more rest

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Green mills for someone

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yet the Spurs might never be able to put the right pieces around Kawhi because of the existence of Golden State and that they might not exist; it really is difficult to build a team around an SF as your best player (Lebron notwithstanding). At least if you acquire a Doncic/Bamba/Bagley/Ayton you give yourself a good shot down the road, especially if Murray pans out.

That doesn't even get into the obvious health concerns that prompt this hesitance to give him the supermax.
    True and yet it's still a no brainer to retain the top 3 player at all costs because that's the requisite starting point for a contender and it's almost impossible to attain. Big wings are where the game is at. They're now the easiest to build a championship contender around. The issue with Leonard is his lack of play making but in this era everyone needs a second perimeter star anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

what? this is the position of the best players in the league
    Lebron Durant Kawhi Giannis even Butler, only exception is .... well ... the best shooter all time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what? this is the position of the best players in the league
    Lebron Durant Kawhi Giannis even Butler, this one exception is .... well ... the best shooter all time
    LeBron is the obvious exception, but the rest aren't close to winning a le (Butlet, Antetokounmpo) or are on a stacked team that would win it all without him (Dominos). Kawhi is tricky in that he impacts the court at such a high level on both ends similarly to LeBron but just isn't as physically dominant or as great of a playmaker. If he could stay healthy I'd definitely say he's worth the supermax but I just don't think he can.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KSAT posted a video of Kawhi arriving in SA airport for treatment

https://www.ksat.com/web/ksat/sports...-for-treatment

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LeBron is the obvious exception, but the rest aren't close to winning a le (Butlet, Antetokounmpo) or are on a stacked team that would win it all without him (Dominos). Kawhi is tricky in that he impacts the court at such a high level on both ends similarly to LeBron but just isn't as physically dominant or as great of a playmaker. If he could stay healthy I'd definitely say he's worth the supermax but I just don't think he can.
    Everyone not named Warriors is not close to winning a le, but arguably 4 of the top 5 (wouldn't put Antetokounmpo in it, but some would) and 6 (Butler, George) of the top 20 players are listed as SF's. Granted, James is really a PG on offense and Durant, Antetokounmpo and him are really combo forwards defensively.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Todays nba. Where you miss half the season for quad tightness

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If this is how you rate the players, then you have Durant Lebron Curry and no one else, deny the impact of Giannis is silly, by all metrics (st loves advanced stats) and stats, he is one of the players with more impact inside the court

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    crazy that no one is putting the pieces together yet

sign Kawhi for less than supermax to afford future FAs due to injury prone label, Pop gets COY for keeping team in top 4 seeds without star player and co

CIA Pop tbh, at his best

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If this is how you rate the players, then you have Durant Lebron Curry and no one else, deny the impact of Giannis is silly, by all metrics (st loves advanced stats) and stats, he is one of the players with more impact inside the court
    Antetokounmpo can't shoot, and that will severely hamper any team he is on until he learns to do so. His defense also isn't that great when you consider his physical tools.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just like they expected Kawhi to be back "sooner rather than later" 2 months ago....
    He was back a month later when they said that. I guess it wasn't too much off considering all the ?s on the whole situation

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't care about his age, I care about the Spurs putting half their capspace in a player who hasn't been able to stay healthy. He 100% deserves the regular max.
    He is not a player that will be hot on the trade market right now with this season.. But lets keep perspective he is a top 3 MVP candidate when he is healthy. The dude was amazing all year last year and was kicking the out of GS in the playoffs until a cheap shot..

Now he has 1 year fully locked in with the Spurs, so he needs to come back, be healthy and get back to that level. If he is injury prone again, he won't be getting any kind of max from anyone.

It's a process... mexicanjunior's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this...trade Kawhi and tank this season...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Way to cherry pick lol you didnt bold where Kawhi said he didn't feel right Monday
    I replied to a guy asking if Kawhi's "soft" "doesn't want to play"...I bold the part that answers his questions

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sucks to see a talent like kawhi having to sit at the end of the bench in a suit.
    This is reminding me of Penny Hardaway. And it is scary..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poor bas was limping even to the toilet

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Antetokounmpo can't shoot, and that will severely hamper any team he is on until he learns to do so. His defense also isn't that great when you consider his physical tools.

his defense (especially his help defense) is absolutely ELITE when you consider .... ANY ACTIVE BASKETBALL PLAYER, and about "can not shoot" he is a guy who has a TS% of .610 and FG% .550, which means you have two options: defend it without double and he will score on you or go to the free throw line, or duplicate and leave someone free, then your lack of shooting ONLY will hurt if your teammates can not make your open shots

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    this season.

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2 things. Not the spurs fault . The game time decisions to pull him out was because Kawai wasnt feeling right. Not pops.

Second, by doing the indefinate route . You not giving fans that were planning on attending games the false hope that Kawai was playing. Also the team chemistry aspect as spurs raider alluded to would be on the coaches minds. Inserting a guy who takes a big chunk of your offense every third game or so is massively disrupting to the team.

My positive spin. I dont think Kawai is write off at all. The spurs are thinking lets wait till hes 100percent before coming back. NONE of this half hearted game time decision BS.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he could stay healthy I'd definitely say he's worth the supermax but I just don't think he can.
    People said the same about Curry just a few years ago.

The same with KD and Russ after the six surgeries they needed...KD had 3 just in his foot

Don't be silly to say cold, gastroenteritis, dental procedure, pink eye are basketball injuries.

Kawhi had only two injuries that made him to miss +10 games in seven years. Broken hand and this quad injury.

About hands...He didn't have a surgery, he got fully recovered and shot 50-44-87 in 2016 so it didn't affect his shooting form at all.

He has only one injury that seems very problematic but again I wouldn't call Curry/Russ/KD injury-prone these days.
    Last edited by YGWHI; 01-17-2018 at 08:55 PM.

Thread Information