Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I look at Murray and I wonder how he is such a great rebounder with those chicken legs. He has great length but he also has great positioning and anticipation which Bertans does not have yet. But I give the kid credit he is really trying even though he is getting smashed a lot. Lol
    Rebounding for guards is more about hops and tenacity. Murray does box guys out, but most of his boards where he does that are against small guards who can't go around or over him, and the ones against bigs really have him hopping in front of guys. I don't think that's a model for Bertans to base his own rebounding game on, though getting better "gang-rebounding" habits in, like tipping balls to teammates rather than catching them or double-teaming an opponent when his teammate is over matched or getting his hands in front of a guy's face so he loses track of the ball could help him. The whole team should do that more often, actually. They did that a lot last year, especially after they committed to going small.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I look at Murray and I wonder how he is such a great rebounder with those chicken legs. He has great length but he also has great positioning and anticipation which Bertans does not have yet. But I give the kid credit he is really trying even though he is getting smashed a lot. Lol
    It's not the same to have to box out a bigman on the paint than coming free from the perimeter to steal rebounds. If Murray had to battle for rebounds down low he wouldn't average so many rebounds.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What I see is Bertans actively jumping for the rebound. Before, he would just box out and let the other bigman go for it. I think he was not used to playing pf so he lets the other big guys get the ball. But now he's actively jumping and snatching the ball when he's near the basket

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really like Davis starting instead of DWhite. Ideally, both start and Bryn is relegated to 10-15 mins a night but that won't happen.

I just like Davis spacing the floor early and Derrick playing as much of his minutes without Demar on the court...but I can see the argument for starting Derrick and just not getting reamed by perimeter guys right at tipoff. At the end of the day as long as both guys are getting a minimum of 20-25 mins a night, I won't complain too much tbh....

I prefer Bertans starting over White too. White's defense is a probable plus but his lack of outside shooting probably hurts (even though teams seem to actually still guard him). Bertans is shooting 46% on 3's and is second in the league in tru shooting % he really should be playing more than 19 mpg. Three 40% 3pt shooters around the DDR/LMA pick and pop could be absolutely lethal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I prefer Bertans starting over White too. White's defense is a probable plus but his lack of outside shooting probably hurts (even though teams seem to actually still guard him). Bertans is shooting 46% on 3's and is second in the league in tru shooting % he really should be playing more than 19 mpg. Three 40% 3pt shooters around the DDR/LMA pick and pop could be absolutely lethal.
    Three elite shooters around DMDR and LMA would be huge for spacing, but it wouldn't be ideal offense. A guy like Bertans simply isn't going to get the touches if he plays that many minutes with the two highest-usage players on the roster. He's arguably the first option on the bench right now. Obviously, nothing's stopping him from getting more run even in that capacity, but if the goal is to get Davis as many touches as possible that should come with at least one of the big dogs on the bench.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Three elite shooters around DMDR and LMA would be huge for spacing, but it wouldn't be ideal offense. A guy like Bertans simply isn't going to get the touches if he plays that many minutes with the two highest-usage players on the roster. He's arguably the first option on the bench right now. Obviously, nothing's stopping him from getting more run even in that capacity, but if the goal is to get Davis as many touches as possible that should come with at least one of the big dogs on the bench.
    This is true. When Bertans subs in in the 1stQ, he usually gets most of the baskets, then later in the game when playing with the starters more - less shots/buckets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bertans may not get as many shots as the 4th or 5th option in the SL but his presence would seriously open things up; DeRozen, in particular, is really good at finding Bertans on open looks. I think that there is a middle ground that could be had; something like he starts the 1st 7 minutes of each half and maybe the first four minutes of the 2nd and 4th playing primarily with bench players.

I get the idea behind it but it's still weird that White is already five minutes behind Bertans in total minutes when Bertans is significantly outplaying him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's easy to imagine. Half of spurstalk would be like "Green sucks, trade him." And the other half would be like "B-b-but transition defense."
    ST is a pretty mean place. No one is beyond scorn or reproach around here.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get the idea behind it but it's still weird that White is already five minutes behind Bertans in total minutes when Bertans is significantly outplaying him.
    White still plays in garbage time when Davis sits behind Q-Pon and (hopefully only in garbage time) Cunningham.

I like Davis off the bench. That unit is doing pretty well and I would not mess too much with it. If White's shooting issues are only based on confidence instead of incapability, the SL should be doing well on it's own.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm glad he is playing better and getting more minutes but the guy is still flawed as a player. I wish he would get more minutes over guys like Forbes and Cunningham though. Forbes is terrible on defense and dies on picks. At least Bertans gives maximum effort. I just wish the guy could get stronger

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Pop should go to Bertans more in crunch time. If you need a 3 at the end of the game he can basically make that shot from anywhere. Him and Rudy should be the first options for a 3-pointer at the end of games

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm glad he is playing better and getting more minutes but the guy is still flawed as a player. I wish he would get more minutes over guys like Forbes and Cunningham though. Forbes is terrible on defense and dies on picks. At least Bertans gives maximum effort. I just wish the guy could get stronger
    Which role player isn't flawed as a player? The deadly three pt shooters are usually bad defenders, the good defenders are usually below average on offense, the rim protectors can't shoot, etc.

For a role player, I think Bertans is as complete as it can get, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My man has to be shooting like 50% from 3 this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My man has to be shooting like 50% from 3 this season.
    He was even better than the stats showed. One of his misses was that end of quarter full court heave.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Davis was 3rd in 3 point % coming into tonight. I think he may be 1 after 5-7 today from 3

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Can we get Bertans in the 3 point contest!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beli also has 50 threes in each of his first three seasons with the club.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny and/or Kawhi don't have 50+ 3's in their first 3 seasons? I find that hard to believe.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Two guys with allegations against them (albeit very different types) and two guys missing a body part

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny and/or Kawhi don't have 50+ 3's in their first 3 seasons? I find that hard to believe.
    Danny didn't play much his first year with the Spurs. Leonard only had 41 threes his rookie year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

do you want to play Boban at SF?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow Tony on that list would have never thought that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I read somewhere that Rudy wants to participate this year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which role player isn't flawed as a player? The deadly three pt shooters are usually bad defenders, the good defenders are usually below average on offense, the rim protectors can't shoot, etc.

For a role player, I think Bertans is as complete as it can get, tbh.
    You are 100% correct that every role player is flawed. My issue is yes he is a good help defender but overall defensively he has issues due to his slight frame so he is only truly a shooting threat. I like the guys fire and the fact that he isn’t afraid to shoot. He also isn’t a total stiff overall, I just hope he can some how get a little bit stronger to help him with rebounding and defense. If he can do that he will be an even greater role player than he already is.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny didn't play much his first year with the Spurs. Leonard only had 41 threes his rookie year.
    Kawhi's first year was that shortened lockout season where every team only played 66 games iirc

Thread Information