My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who needs rebounds? Great idea.
    We just need Murray to average 18 boards

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As others, am sure, have mentioned, DJ plays better defense than the man he is replacing and is a much better rebounder. I am not sure you can say either for Dedmon. His rebounding sucks! It's actually worse than DJ's teams gets second and third opportunities with him on the court, and there are games when he goes cold from the 3 point line. And if he does that, there is no way we win. And if he doesn't, better hope the other team does not abuse us on the boards. I know he is getting better on defense, but he is not there yet and definetely not at Dejounte's level, so PLEASE do not compare the two. They are very different players!
    Yeah, so? Bertans plays infinite better offense than Murray. And?

It's about cohesion and hability to complement each other. Murray makes up for Bertans' lack of rebounding, Bertans makes up for Murray's lack of shooting.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, so? Bertans plays infinite better offense than Murray. And?

It's about cohesion and hability to complement each other. Murray makes up for Bertans' lack of rebounding, Bertans makes up for Murray's lack of shooting.
    You can't look at that in a vacuum. Switching Murray and Bertans's placement on the defensive glass requires Bertans to get back on defense in transition much more often. He is a decent shotblocker but I don't want him being tasked with transition defense all the time.

What would make up for Bertans being a bad rebounder is playing next to a good rebounding big. Fortunately he almost always does.

What would make up for Murray being a poor shooter is being good at finishing at the rim. Otherwise you're just playing 4 on 5 too often.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Davis isn't a good rebounder this is true. Still, I think its been a little over emphasized. Watch a game and you see Davis is often way out on the perimeter and has clearly been told to get back in transition as his first priority. So, its sort of natural that he won't get a lot of boards. Could he better certainly but that's not quite the complete picture. He's not a traditional big that lives in the paint and bullies his way to boards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's just very unlikely the team "benches" Pau... I know coming off the bench or starting doesn't matter, but the team has won a lot of games with Pau starting and he's playing well.

If Pau was not playing well (kinda like Tony who had like 10 bad games in a row and the team was losing) then that is different. I think in light of Tony's poor play lately, Pop decided wth? We might as well start Dejounte and see what we really have there.... It also was preceded by a series of games where the team in general (davis included fwiw) was shooting poorly and they clawed back into games and made the games really close on the back of really stout defense of which Dejounte was a big part. So bottom line, Dejounte showed the team had better chances to win games with him playing than with him not playing.

In Davis case is not that clear, bc Pau has been playing well. (unlike Tony who was playing really poorly and he gave his own statement to the press saying he was not 100% and also that he had hit a kind of wall.) It's not that easy to bench a vet that is playing well in favor of someone who is playing well only lately.

TL: DR --> My point is that I just don't see Pop going for this unless Pau was sucking first.

Still think Davis is making a good case for his playing time regardless, which is what matters. If team isn't doing well with Pau, Pop can always get Bertans in the game earlier. That is easier to do.

I know Chinook would bring up the point about alternating Pau and LMA and how difficult that is, but he has played that way the entire season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's also the age difference. Murray still has lots of chances to improve, while Bertans is several years older.

But yeah, your point that Pau is playing much better than Tony is definitely the lion's share of the reason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DAvis adds a layer offensively that the slowish combo of Pau and LMA don't have. He's capable of plays in transition, and has shown to be more dynamic than a spot up shooter. Think he deserves playing time for sure IMO.

If surrounded by good defensive players (notice he's done well with Murray/Anderson/Danny) he will be fine. If surrounded by bad defensive players, he's going to be in trouble... notice at times when the bench had the bad defensive combinations of Patty/Forbes or Patty/Tony and even Patty/Forbes/Manu with Davis, they gave up leads all the way back to the Portland game, and Hawks games.

It is worth noting Davis is an offensive player that needs to be surrounded by good defensive players to win games. He complements Murray and Anderson well bc these two are good defensive players but offensively challenged. Anyways, I think he's earned his playing time and we shall see what happens. Still think Pop doesn't bench Pau unless they started losing games. This might not be fully settled if Pau cannot handle some matchups coming up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's with the obsession of Keeping Pau on the starting lineup when we know that come playoffs time against the Rockets or Warriors we are going to have to get him come off the bench?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There’s really not much more to say. Dqvis played well in the 2 games he started and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Pop continue to put him in situations to see how he handles it.

The Pau subject is a subject that’s interesting on his own without any pro-Davis agenda. He’s important to the team on rim protection and rebounding (besides what he does offensively).

There are matchups that are not good for him and there’s a possibility he doesn’t play well against some teams. This year he really was able to exploit small teams like Portland and he really lit them up (teams Davis played poorly against btw)... there are many games the team would have lost had Pau not played well.

Some really challenging teams are soon to come up and I wouldn’t be surprised to see CIA POp lineups that give opportunities to Davis to get him tested. Pau is going to have his own challenge dealing with those teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop will handicap the team in the playoffs if they have to play the Thunder or Pelicans in the first round and if they get past either of those teams it will be worse against the Rockets or Warriors. Pau Gasol is unplayable against the teams the Spurs have to worry about. Can you imagine Pau guarding Steven Adams, Cousins, KD or Draymond? That is a nightmare.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop will handicap the team in the playoffs if they have to play the Thunder or Pelicans in the first round and if they get past either of those teams it will be worse against the Rockets or Warriors. Pau Gasol is unplayable against the teams the Spurs have to worry about. Can you imagine Pau guarding Steven Adams, Cousins, KD or Draymond? That is a nightmare.
    Do you think the Spurs with a healthy Kawhi can beat the Pelicans or Thunder?

I was looking at the standings earlier today, and if the playoffs started now, the Spurs would be playing the Pelicans. I'm not sure that I'd like that match-up. The Spurs have usually had problem with them when it was Davis alone in the front court. Not sure how they'd fare with both Davis and Cousins to go against.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you think the Spurs with a healthy Kawhi can beat the Pelicans or Thunder?

I was looking at the standings earlier today, and if the playoffs started now, the Spurs would be playing the Pelicans. I'm not sure that I'd like that match-up. The Spurs have usually had problem with them when it was Davis alone in the front court. Not sure how they'd fare with both Davis and Cousins to go against.
    Kawhi 2017 playoffs? certainly
    he was the best player in the world in this period

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi 2017 playoffs? certainly
    he was the best player in the world in this period

Kevin Durant says ......hi!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wut?

28/8/4 in 53/45/93
    carrying a team with old Parker as his second best player, I'm sure he would do even better playing with the two best shooters in history and several elite defenders

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi was the best player on the planet during the playoffs last season up until the point he was knocked out of the playoffs. After he was permanently knocked out of the playoffs, KD took over, but up until that point Kawhi was definitely playing better overall than anyone else. He was playing insane basketball.

Anyway, after watching this game, even with a healthy Kawhi, I don't see the Spurs getting out of the first round. With the current seeding match-ups, I think the New Orleans front court will wreck the Spurs and OKC has a big 3 with firepower that I don't think the Spurs can match - too many scrubs on the Spurs. If the Spurs win the first round, it'd probably be with Kawhi playing at an amazing level and dragging them out. If Kawhi's not healthy, they'll be out quickly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi was the best player on the planet during the playoffs last season up until the point he was knocked out of the playoffs. After he was permanently knocked out of the playoffs, KD took over, but up until that point Kawhi was definitely playing better overall than anyone else. He was playing insane basketball.

Anyway, after watching this game, even with a healthy Kawhi, I don't see the Spurs getting out of the first round. With the current seeding match-ups, I think the New Orleans front court will wreck the Spurs and OKC has a big 3 with firepower that I don't think the Spurs can match - too many scrubs on the Spurs. If the Spurs win the first round, it'd probably be with Kawhi playing at an amazing level and dragging them out. If Kawhi's not healthy, they'll be out quickly.
    Guess you weren't watching the Pelicans/Rockets game then.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Send this deformed got back to Yugoslavia and his fluffers can Robin Williams themselves

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No I wasn't. I posted a few minutes after reading about Cousins' injury in another thread. Terrible, terrible news for New Orleans. Man, he was playing so well. Will he ever get back to that level? I guess he will have to talk to Rudy Gay about rehab. Has he had any major injuries before? I always remember him being quite durable, then again, I never watched or followed the Kings so I don't know his injury history.
    Last edited by Ice009; 01-27-2018 at 02:38 AM.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Their front court will still wreck the Spurs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well I did also mention the other day that with Davis alone they used to give us trouble.

Who else have they got these days?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans played possibly the worst game a Spur has played this season, last night. This got doesn't belong in the rotation much less starting DAF86

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    .. pass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans played possibly the worst game a Spur has played this season, last night. This got doesn't belong in the rotation much less starting DAF86
    Yeah, because of one game he doesn't deserve to play.

BTW, your boy Tony sure did great, bh.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, because of one game he doesn't deserve to play.

BTW, your boy Tony sure did great, bh.

Thread Information