Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you: It's fun to speculate

also you: what do you get you get out of speculating?

me: you have fun

you: one gets fun?

its fun. we do it all the time here, part of the reason we enjoy sports message boards. its fun to speculate hypotheticals. otherwise we can just read game recaps and call it a day. its fun to play armchair gm.
    Uh oh. Prepare to get sucked into the "Chumpzone".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans wasn't the best fit on the Spurs especially after Kawhi quit on the Spurs. It's hard to see a scenario where he would of made a big difference on this squad given Pop's rotations. If Pop made him the backup SF his minutes would be extremely limited behind DDR, maybe Pop would play Beli less with Bertans here which would yield some improvement. Even if Pop decided to play Davis in the SL at SF sliding DDR to the SG & Forbes to the bench, I am not sure the end result is any different. In a vacuum I would take Bertans over Forbes but that lineup would have just as much defensive issues as the current one.
    Spot on. Davis at SF and DD at SG over DD at SF and Forbes at SG is just a variation of two bad defenders on two positions. Marcus Morris would provide defense to the lineup, which to the current Spurs would be much more valuable than Bertans' offense without defense, but he ed us over. Can we stop making threads about this?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    spurs were near the bottom on 3PA last season and they had access to a guy like bertans ... they didnt use him well when they had him either

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uh oh. Prepare to get sucked into the "Chumpzone".

Pretty much. I can say I tried.

Here's an alternative timeline, straight off the NBA website tonight: "
    Had free agency played out differently, Leonard might still be delighting Raptors fans as they go about defending their 2019 NBA championship."

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you: It's fun to speculate

also you: what do you get you get out of speculating?

me: you have fun

you: one gets fun?

its fun. we do it all the time here, part of the reason we enjoy sports message boards. its fun to speculate hypotheticals. otherwise we can just read game recaps and call it a day. its fun to play armchair gm.
    Right, but for one guy in the middle of the season to the exclusion of almost everything else is not much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right, but for one guy in the middle of the season to the exclusion of almost everything else is not much.
    spurs havent played for several days and bertans has 6 straight games of 19+ points

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    spurs havent played for several days and bertans has 6 straight games of 19+ points
    We'll see what happens after.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nobody seems to bring up the fact that the Spurs actually traded Bertans for Carroll who's glued to the bench and can't even get rotation minutes while earning the same amount of salary
    I know they made that move to sign Morris, but they could've just not signed Carroll at all and that move wouldn't have to be made

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nobody seems to bring up the fact that the Spurs actually traded Bertans for Carroll who's glued to the bench and can't even get rotation minutes while earning the same amount of salary
    I know they made that move to sign Morris, but they could've just not signed Carroll at all and that move wouldn't have to be made

Def hurts more when you put it that way.Spurs have been snake bitten (mostly their own fault) in fa and trades recently

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody knows wtf Pop is doing or trying to do right, not even Pop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans shot damn near as well last season for our guys. The biggest difference for him in Washington is more minutes and shot attempts. He was utilized similar in San Antonio than how he is being utilized in Washington but the Wizards don’t really care about his defensive short comings.

People on here most likely wouldn’t be complaining as much if Morris came to this team like he said he would because he is also shooting great right now and he is a better defender and rebounder.

it sucks our guys didn’t get Morris and lost Dāvis for nothing but it is what it is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bad premise. You go after the big fish, FIRST, and that was Morris. Getting Morris required offloading Bertans. I'm not sure how many times we need to go over this, but Morris ed us, not PATFO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bad premise. You go after the big fish, FIRST, and that was Morris. Getting Morris required offloading Bertans. ...
    That is not correct. The offer to Morris required finding $10 million per year for two years. Morris was not demanding that Bertans had to leave. He was interested in the money, is all.

It was PATFO who screwed up, by creating a roster so wonky, and a financial situation so wonky, that moving Bertans was the only way they could find to come up with $10 mil. A well run organization would have had other options.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That is not correct. The offer to Morris required finding $10 million per year for two years. Morris was not demanding that Bertans had to leave. He was interested in the money, is all.

It was PATFO who screwed up, by creating a roster so wonky, and a financial situation so wonky, that moving Bertans was the only way they could find to come up with $10 mil. A well run organization would have had other options.
    Oh please. The Spurs run one of the cleanest, most short term cap sheets in the league. Having to offload a $5M salary to sign a very good FA is NOTHING in today's NBA. That's like 4% of the cap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bad premise. You go after the big fish, FIRST, and that was Morris. Getting Morris required offloading Bertans. I'm not sure how many times we need to go over this, but Morris ed us, not PATFO.
    you're right. we had to go after the big fish FIRST.

which apparently was demarre carroll, a guy who can't crack the rotation

it was only because we had committed to carroll that part of the MLE had been used, which is why we were into a position where we had to make a move to try to get morris. so we unloaded bertans. had we not bid against ourselves for a player that cant get on the floor, we could have just given the full MLE to morris in the first place without having to make a corresponding move

"big fish carroll"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes doesn't even come close to being the type of player Bertans is, neither on defense nor on offense. Forbes is, at best, a 15 minutes guy. Bertans is a high end, championship level role player. A closer, a top 5 guy.

And this is exactly what all the fuss is about: Pop and the Spurs making a huge judgement mistake and choosing the lesser player over the much better one. It's like if back on the day, the Spurs would have chosen Sean Marks over Robert Horry.

And this is not the first time they make this type of mistake, they have been making these type of mistakes (mistakes that most fans knew were awful decisions from the get go. No hindsight needed) for a while now. The Parker extension, The Mills extension, the Gasol extension, trading for DeRozan, etc, etc, etc. All these decisions have led to this very bad present, tbh.
    Man, so many of these alternate timelines are just premised in bull . There are 2 (or more) parties in a trade - they all have to be satisfied for it to go through. So yeah, Washington, or whoever, is going to want something valuable for renting their capspace - not Belinelli's old ass. And Forbes's contract is simply not big enough to matter in this case - trading him would not have bought SAS the cap space they needed.

This is untrue. The spurs had already agreed to a deal with Carroll when the opportunity to sign Morris came up (after he came up blank on the larger contract he was hoping for). The PATFO needed the capspace to re-open their negotiations with Carroll (and offer him a different and slightly better contract for his trouble), so they could spend the full MLE on Morris... Unless they were willing to do to Carroll what Marcus did to them... Which presumably they weren't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, so many of these alternate timelines are just premised in bull . There are 2 (or more) parties in a trade - they all have to be satisfied for it to go through. So yeah, Washington, or whoever, is going to want something valuable for renting their capspace - not Belinelli's old ass. And Forbes's contract is simply not big enough to matter in this case - trading him would not have bought SAS the cap space they needed.

This is untrue. The spurs had already agreed to a deal with Carroll when the opportunity to sign Morris came up (after he came up blank on the larger contract he was hoping for). The PATFO needed the capspace to re-open their negotiations with Carroll (and offer him a different and slightly better contract for his trouble), so they could spend the full MLE on Morris... Unless they were willing to do to Carroll what Marcus did to them... Which presumably they weren't.
    yup.

carroll originally had agreed to a 2 year deal where the funds would come out of the MLE

when the spurs realized that morris could be had for the full MLE, they didn't want to reneg on Carroll, so they instead decided to turn his acquisition from a MLE signing to a sign-and-trade. the only problem is, a sign and trade requires the deal to be at least 3 years, whereas carroll's previous agreement was 2 years. so they gave him a partially guaranteed 3rd year.

the issue this creates is why the spurs jumped the gun to strike an agreement with carroll which occupied the MLE before exhausting all other options for the MLE, like a marcus morris. that looks especially bad given that carroll isnt even in the rotation. means they didnt properly vet him.

RC Drunkford, iirc, has also raised that instead of trading bertans to facilitate the carroll sign and trade, they could have packaged a pick with marco for a similar salary

Thread Information