Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But rich people only try to change somehting when they are the ones getting screwed.
    Their lack of foresight is at their own peril

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tennis should be such a bigger sport. I don't get why they're so strict with the crowd making noise and the players showing too much emotion. Imagine a tennis player pulling the celebrations we see in the NBA. , even the commentators are boring. Tennis can be so much more exciting and it would benefit from a little loosening up tbh.
    More people should appreciate tennis regardless. The game itself is interesting, nevermind how loud someone can scream or how creatively they celebrate.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very small number of Black or other Ethnic Background player in tennis..A couple Blacks maybe a japanese and thats really it so the easy target is the eastern Euro.
    Man, I get hard seeing how many tennis fans hate Serena it's all white males, too..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^I don't think the culture allows it, at least from what I've seen on Twitter and such..

There were people angry on twitter because Isner and Anderson were screaming towards each other I see many that apparently hate Djokovic because he "lacks humility and class"
    That's exactly my point. The "culture" is too uptight and old-fashioned. I'm not saying they should allow the full on gotry we see in tday's NBA but allowing the players and the crowd show more emotion could only help the sport grow in terms of... mainstream appeal. When some player loses his cool and shouts at himself then smashes his racket in frustration, the reaction is "this guy is immature". The crowd erupts and the umpire is quick to shut them down. A black player celebrates a point by dancing a bit and "he needs to be more respectful". Obviously, race is a factor as tennis is mostly white sport but it's 2018, time to loosen up a bit.

More people should appreciate tennis regardless. The game itself is interesting, nevermind how loud someone can scream or how creatively they celebrate.
    True. All I'm saying is that if they want to become a more popular and lucrative sport, some changes have to be made.

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count
    Great match so far, tbh. It’s nice to see Djoker getting back to his top play.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's exactly my point. The "culture" is too uptight and old-fashioned. I'm not saying they should allow the full on gotry we see in tday's NBA but allowing the players and the crowd show more emotion could only help the sport grow in terms of... mainstream appeal. When some player loses his cool and shouts at himself then smashes his racket in frustration, the reaction is "this guy is immature". The crowd erupts and the umpire is quick to shut them down. A black player celebrates a point by dancing a bit and "he needs to be more respectful". Obviously, race is a factor as tennis is mostly white sport but it's 2018, time to loosen up a bit.

True. All I'm saying is that if they want to become a more popular and lucrative sport, some changes have to be made.
    Tennis has been nothing but good to their black trannies, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's obvious that a 24 years old Federer is going to be better than a 36 years old Federer. At similar levels of skill, the physical aspect obviously makes the difference. But tennis is one of the sports (after golf and baseball, where players barely move) that most favours skill over physical aspects.
    Remember how I always chide the soccer crew in their thinking that the only physical aspects and demanding physical attributes are those that feature running, jumping, cutting, or getting tired? Having played a variety of sports, the most demanding physical aspect there is maintaining precise bodily coordination to perform a mechanically demanding technique (billiards and golf humbled me far, far more than "athletic" sports). I would put tennis up there with baseball and golf as well in that regard.

These sports are a lot more technical than football, basketball, hockey. One little deviation in your wrist position, your hip position, etc, etc throws the entire action into disarray, much more than in other sports. This type of coordination does decline with age, probably more than speed, power, fitness decline. In tennis and baseball, you have to perform mechanically near-perfect while also having lighting speed reaction time. I'm not suggesting Federer should be on the cusp of retirement, but where is the next Federer or Nadal? In past eras, we'd usually see a couple of young guns start to challenge. Doesn't necessarily mean they need to stack majors, but at least be a consistent threat to make the Finals rounds and upset the older guard.

30 was considered a senior citizen on pretty much every sport, yet more and more players of over 30 are starting to dominate in every sport: Lebron in basketball, Brady in the NFL, Messi and Ronaldo in soccer, Federer and Nadal on tennis, Mayweather on boxing, etc, etc, etc. (I don't know who the best player on the NHL is, but I'm sure he must be over 30 too). Does this mean that every sport has a top heavy talent pool? Of course not. We have already gone through this, no reason to keep arguing the same things over and over again. Specially not on an argument as clear as this one, tbh.
    See above. In every sport, we usually start to see a new generation of "GOATS" arriving (furthermore, I don't think including football and basketball makes sense. Those sports have very shallow talent pools and have always been traditionally top heavy. Same with boxing. Growing up, I didn't know one kid who was a boxer, and I live in SoCal, while hundreds of kids played basketball, football, baseball, soccer, etc). I would say the team sports with the deepest pools are soccer, baseball, and hockey (perhaps cricket). These sports don't really have too much size/height discrimination and are played seriously in a variety of countries (soccer being number one, obviously). Messi isn't particularly old. 31. I seriously doubt he'll be a top 5 player at 36. I also don't buy Ronaldo as a top 2 player. I don't care about eye test . Misled us for years in basketball. People really thought Kirbs was Jordan incarnate '06-'08, despite just above All-Star level advanced metrics.

NHL, for instance, the last 13 MVP winners were all under 30. As Crosby and Ovi start to transition into their post-30 years, the next GOAT on the horizon is 21 year old Connor McDavid, already an MVP winner. Where's tennis's McDavid? In modern baseball, 30 years old is basically a death sentence now (for hitters). This makes sense given the fact that nearly every pitcher in the league has a 96+ plus fastball with sick movement complementing it with dirty like 90mph sliders and breaking balls with 2 foot breaks. That small percentage in reaction time decline becomes a huge handicap. Trout, who is basically baseball's Lebron, is projected just to be around All-Star level at 36. Federer, meanwhile, is still head and shoulders above the tennis world compared to everyone but the other big 2, who've been at that level for a decade plus. Summing it up, the fact there's no "next Roger Federer or Rafael Nadal" on the horizon illustrates either a shallow talent pool or a negative change in modern coaching methods at the youth level. I'm not saying Fed isn't the greatest. No doubt he is, but to dominate at a sport like tennis heading into your 40s is peculiar. Nadal also doesn't look to be declining much.

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count
    Djoker takes down Nadal

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Djoker takes down Nadal
    That more exciting than roided-up black 700th in the world tranny in another final?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^ there's nothing that angers white men more than Serena Williams..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Djoker wins he surpassess Sampras in the all time great list.

To win 13 Grand Slam in the Nadal and Federrer Era is ridiculous.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Remember how I always chide the soccer crew in their thinking that the only physical aspects and demanding physical attributes are those that feature running, jumping, cutting, or getting tired? Having played a variety of sports, the most demanding physical aspect there is maintaining precise bodily coordination to perform a mechanically demanding technique (billiards and golf humbled me far, far more than "athletic" sports). I would put tennis up there with baseball and golf as well in that regard.

These sports are a lot more technical than football, basketball, hockey. One little deviation in your wrist position, your hip position, etc, etc throws the entire action into disarray, much more than in other sports. This type of coordination does decline with age, probably more than speed, power, fitness decline. In tennis and baseball, you have to perform mechanically near-perfect while also having lighting speed reaction time. I'm not suggesting Federer should be on the cusp of retirement, but where is the next Federer or Nadal? In past eras, we'd usually see a couple of young guns start to challenge. Doesn't necessarily mean they need to stack majors, but at least be a consistent threat to make the Finals rounds and upset the older guard.

See above. In every sport, we usually start to see a new generation of "GOATS" arriving (furthermore, I don't think including football and basketball makes sense. Those sports have very shallow talent pools and have always been traditionally top heavy. Same with boxing. Growing up, I didn't know one kid who was a boxer, and I live in SoCal, while hundreds of kids played basketball, football, baseball, soccer, etc). I would say the team sports with the deepest pools are soccer, baseball, and hockey (perhaps cricket). These sports don't really have too much size/height discrimination and are played seriously in a variety of countries (soccer being number one, obviously). Messi isn't particularly old. 31. I seriously doubt he'll be a top 5 player at 36. I also don't buy Ronaldo as a top 2 player. I don't care about eye test . Misled us for years in basketball. People really thought Kirbs was Jordan incarnate '06-'08, despite just above All-Star level advanced metrics.

NHL, for instance, the last 13 MVP winners were all under 30. As Crosby and Ovi start to transition into their post-30 years, the next GOAT on the horizon is 21 year old Connor McDavid, already an MVP winner. Where's tennis's McDavid? In modern baseball, 30 years old is basically a death sentence now (for hitters). This makes sense given the fact that nearly every pitcher in the league has a 96+ plus fastball with sick movement complementing it with dirty like 90mph sliders and breaking balls with 2 foot breaks. That small percentage in reaction time decline becomes a huge handicap. Trout, who is basically baseball's Lebron, is projected just to be around All-Star level at 36. Federer, meanwhile, is still head and shoulders above the tennis world compared to everyone but the other big 2, who've been at that level for a decade plus. Summing it up, the fact there's no "next Roger Federer or Rafael Nadal" on the horizon illustrates either a shallow talent pool or a negative change in modern coaching methods at the youth level. I'm not saying Fed isn't the greatest. No doubt he is, but to dominate at a sport like tennis heading into your 40s is peculiar. Nadal also doesn't look to be declining much.
    Zverev is 19 and the #3 player in the World. In any other era, where the top players weren't as dominating, he probably would have won a slam by now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ambchang did you watch that game? If you did, you can't tell me with a straight face Djokovic isn't a top 5 player of all-time, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The WTA is a good example of parity not exactly meaning better quality. Outside of Serena, anything can happen on the WTA, on any given Slam a no name woman can come and win the whole thing to then never been heard of again. That's not parity sons, that's mediocrity at its finest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ambchang did you watch that game? If you did, you can't tell me with a straight face Djokovic isn't a top 5 player of all-time, tbh.
    Third best of all time. 12 in the fed and Nadal era is mad. And he has a einning record against both Nadal and Fed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    *straight face* Djoker isn’t a top 5 player.

Was it a good game? Sure. But ranking based on one game is like saying Michael Adams is one of the goats because he scored 56 in a game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great match from Rafa and Novak. Really could've gone either way. Kinda want to see Anderson win though.

Also, Kerber with the surprisingly convincing win over Serena. Maybe she's finally declining after giving birth. I mean she is 36.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zverev is 19 and the #3 player in the World. In any other era, where the top players weren't as dominating, he probably would have won a slam by now.
    He's 21, and doesn't have one Slam finals appearance. The primary reason they are dominating is because there's no up-and-coming great to challenge them. Usually the greats have a major by that age. I'm just a casual tennis fan, but I did read an opinion on a tennis board that the reason the old guard have such longevity now is that the younger players are all 6'5" and over (more height=less coordination. Big 3 all under 6'3") who rely too much on their size and athleticism (power) and never developed an effective enough all-around skill-set to really challenge for majors against the Big 3. The blame was put on youth coaching.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    *straight face* Djoker isn’t a top 5 player.

Was it a good game? Sure. But ranking based on one game is like saying Michael Adams is one of the goats because he scored 56 in a game.
    Djoker has a winning record against both Nadal and Fed you dumb . Jesus christ.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Williams wasn't able to win the trans-woman / biological woman side of the bracket.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/14/serena...-at-wimbledon/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watched Federer Nadal 2007 & 08 Wimbledon finals the other day & there's been virtually no drop off at the level of either player. Both still move incredibly well, Nadal's top spin off his forehand is still ridiculous, Federer's forehand, volleys & improvisation are still awesome. Same with Djoker compared to 08 Aus open final. Still moves just as well, still equally strong on both wings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Djoker has a winning record against both Nadal and Fed you dumb . Jesus christ.
    So djoker is greatest all time? Since when is having a winning g record vs fed and nadAl a criteria for being in the top fivr?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you think thats the only criteria?

The man is on his way to win 13 grandslams in the Nadal and Fed era. He is the third greatest of all time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Feds gonna end his career with 20+
    Nadal is gonna end up with 20+
    Djoker is gonna end up with 16+

And the Old geezers. " but my sampras is my hero"

No Era have seen three 15+ Grand Slam winner play all together. Can you imagine djoker without fed and nadal. Dude would have 25+ Grand slams by now. Scary stuff.

Not to mention guys like Murray also winning multiple grand slams.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Watched Federer Nadal 2007 & 08 Wimbledon finals the other day & there's been virtually no drop off at the level of either player. Both still move incredibly well, Nadal's top spin off his forehand is still ridiculous, Federer's forehand, volleys & improvisation are still awesome. Same with Djoker compared to 08 Aus open final. Still moves just as well, still equally strong on both wings.
    Yeah that's just perfectly normal tbh

Thread Information