Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Federer's H2H record vs Nadal is brutal. But he's still #1 all time.

Also, so happy to see Djokovic back in a grand slam final.

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    *straight face* Djoker isn’t a top 5 player.

Was it a good game? Sure. But ranking based on one game is like saying Michael Adams is one of the goats because he scored 56 in a game.

The ?!? He's at least top 3, and if he hadn't fallen off a cliff in the last 2 years or so he was on his way to being #1 all time. He was on pace to break Federer's all time GS record against stiffer compe ion.

I don't think he'll do it now, I don't even know if Wimbledon is just a fluke but it feels like this is the best tennis he has played in a long long time.

I think if he keeps up this level of play he can retire with 15 or 16 slams at the most.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah that's just perfectly normal tbh
    Even if they are on super PEDs, you'd have to assume all the young guns are on these PEDs, too. I said above that I think the problem might be that many of the younger players on tour are 6'5" lanky s who rely more on athleticism (the power part of athleticism) and size than skills (so I've read on a tennis forum). The Big 3 are all under 6'3".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah that's just perfectly normal tbh
    No doubt these guys are on PED.

Dont think that was ever a question.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fed playing like hes 29 at 40

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Federer's gotta have the worst body for someone who's juicing I've seen

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you think thats the only criteria?

The man is on his way to win 13 grandslams in the Nadal and Fed era. He is the third greatest of all time.
    Thanks for among the point he’s the third greatest in this era.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The ?!? He's at least top 3, and if he hadn't fallen off a cliff in the last 2 years or so he was on his way to being #1 all time. He was on pace to break Federer's all time GS record against stiffer compe ion.

I don't think he'll do it now, I don't even know if Wimbledon is just a fluke but it feels like this is the best tennis he has played in a long long time.

I think if he keeps up this level of play he can retire with 15 or 16 slams at the most.
    Ivanesic on his only grand slam at 30. Sure he was on his way up then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Feds gonna end his career with 20+
    Nadal is gonna end up with 20+
    Djoker is gonna end up with 16+

And the Old geezers. " but my sampras is my hero"

No Era have seen three 15+ Grand Slam winner play all together. Can you imagine djoker without fed and nadal. Dude would have 25+ Grand slams by now. Scary stuff.

Not to mention guys like Murray also winning multiple grand slams.
    Wilt averaged 50.4 ppg back in the day and russell won 11. They must be the GOATs. young kids thinking Lebron is my hero .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wilt averaged 50.4 ppg back in the day and russell won 11. They must be the GOATs. young kids thinking Lebron is my hero .
    Go be old somrwhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Go be old somrwhere.
    To be ignorant somewhere.

today’s tennis players are all goats because they won so many grand slams
    yesterday’s nba players all suck despite putting up ungodly numbers because their compe ion sucks

Pick a lane ignoramus.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Diaper old man actually thinks tennis had a backwards evolution

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Diaper old man actually thinks tennis had a backwards evolution
    35 year "young" -take master doesn't understand what consistency means.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the epitome of modern tennis dominating older tennis:

Grand slam final. So none of the "this guy was way past his prime, or that dude was still a puppy" excuse (in fact, Sampras beat Safin on the US open semifinal of the following year).

I'm not saying Safin is better than Sampras, I'm not saying Safin at his best beats Sampras at his best. All I'm saying is that a guy like Safin was pretty ing compe ive and he could go toe to toe against a guy like Sampras to the point of having a winning record against him (4 W's - 3 L's) Yet, when it came to Federer, he could only win 2 of 12 matches.

So, how come against Sampras, Safin could be compe ive; but against Federer, he could not? Well, maybe because Federer was just more dominant than Sampras. And the same goes to guys like Nadal and Djokovic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the epitome of modern tennis dominating older tennis:

Grand slam final. So none of the "this guy was way past his prime, or that dude was still a puppy" excuse (in fact, Sampras beat Safin on the US open semifinal of the following year).

I'm not saying Safin is better than Sampras, I'm not saying Safin at his best beats Sampras at his best. All I'm saying is that a guy like Safin was pretty ing compe ive and he could go toe to toe against a guy like Sampras to the point of having a winning record against him (4 W's - 3 L's) Yet, when it came to Federer, he could only win 2 of 12 matches.

So, how come against Sampras, Safin could be compe ive; but against Federer, he could not? Well, maybe because Federer was just more dominant than Sampras. And the same goes to guys like Nadal and Djokovic.
    I think you're still missing the essential point. And you're still comparing players in a vacuum (unfair to past era players. There's a 9 year difference in ages between Sampras and Safrin. That was a huge difference then). We all know the "next generation" in any sport will likely introduce cutting edge techniques, many times play with more advanced equipment, and been reared under more effective training techniques, leaving the old guard to evolve or die, and they're usually too past their prime to really "evolve." The peculiar thing about today's tennis is where is the 20 year old Safrin on tour taking apart one of the old guard like he took Pete apart in that video? We're not even getting a hint of "the next generation." It's still the same old story every major.

There's no logical way to compare players across eras. You can't even say, "Well, I watched both [insert players] at 24, and player X is just far better," because player X will likely be a more current player who had training, knowledge, and equipment advantages player Y didn't. Basketball example. Is Curry a better player than Larry Bird in a vacuum? I think so. Do I think Curry becomes an all-time great if he were born in Bum , Indiana in the late 50s and learned to shoot in his driveway? No. The best way is just to rank by era. NBA has the Russell, Kareem, Magic/Bird, Jordan, Duncan, Lebron eras, for example.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you're still missing the essential point. And you're still comparing players in a vacuum (unfair to past era players. There's a 9 year difference in ages between Sampras and Safrin. That was a huge difference then). We all know the "next generation" in any sport will likely introduce cutting edge techniques, many times play with more advanced equipment, and been reared under more effective training techniques, leaving the old guard to evolve or die, and they're usually too past their prime to really "evolve." The peculiar thing about today's tennis is where is the 20 year old Safrin on tour taking apart one of the old guard like he took Pete apart in that video? We're not even getting a hint of "the next generation." It's still the same old story every major.

There's no logical way to compare players across eras. You can't even say, "Well, I watched both [insert players] at 24, and player X is just far better," because player X will likely be a more current player who had training, knowledge, and equipment advantages player Y didn't. Basketball example. Is Curry a better player than Larry Bird in a vacuum? I think so. Do I think Curry becomes an all-time great if he were born in Bum , Indiana in the late 50s and learned to shoot in his driveway? No. The best way is just to rank by era. NBA has the Russell, Kareem, Magic/Bird, Jordan, Duncan, Lebron eras, for example.
    you just admitted you dont even watch tennis.

The difference between 80-90s tennis vs the Nadal/Djoker/Fed trio is very significant. Its like 80s ball vs 2014 Spurs ball.

The PED obviously helps but more importantly the increased in skill level.

Lets not forget that this generation also have Andy Murray, Stan Wawarinka..both these two would have gave sampras a run for his money and would most likely win 10+ slams in the 90s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you just admitted you dont even watch tennis.

The difference between 80-90s tennis vs the Nadal/Djoker/Fed trio is very significant. Its like 80s ball vs 2014 Spurs ball.

The PED obviously helps but more importantly the increased in skill level.

Lets not forget that this generation also have Andy Murray, Stan Wawarinka..both these two would have gave sampras a run for his money and would most likely win 10+ slams in the 90s.
    Did you even read what I said? My point doesn't need me to watch anything. I know a sport will "evolve" over a decade or so, so yes, an 80's tennis great has little chance of competing today. My problem with these "vacuum" arguments is that it unfairly punishes older players for when they were born. Federer, Nadal, etc didn't spring fully formed from the head of Zeus. We don't know how good Nadal would be if were born in 1970. We don't know how good Bjorg would be if he were born in 1985. Training, knowledge, technique improves every decade, so to unequivocally state a modern player is better is illogical, since the older player didn't have any of the advantages a modern player has to fully reach his potential. Larry Bird learned to shoot in his driveway. A modern player when he's young learns to shoot at a "training complex," with professional instructors at his side. I'm not punishing Bird in comparison.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Djokovic, Murray and Del Potro, all were doing damage at that age. Right now, I already told you about the number 3 player in the World, Sverev. And maybe, the reason oung folks aren't taking nthe big guys apart, is because the current big guys aren't as easy to take apart as previous big guys.

I agree with that, It's unfair to compare players of today, with players of previous eras. But that's not what we're arguing right now. ambchang says that the compe ion is weaker now, than in previous eras, that's just not true.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is relative to the age. The proof is players dominating the game in the mid 30/.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cilic & De Minaur putting on a great show late night.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He'll need 5 sets to dispatch with Millman if he's going to pull it off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Roger might finally be done sons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very unusual performance by Roger. Missed way too many routine(for him) putaways and, to his credit, Millman gave him absolutely nothing for free.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forgot to watch the match. Too bad about Fed. He'll probably win the next Wimbledon though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thiem is on fire!

Thread Information