Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Roger becomes the second male tennis player to reach twenty along with Serena Williams. Though, that he did it in the men's field is much more impressive, imo. Though, he did win this one in con uous pink shoes (that were kinda cool I thought).

After dominating the first set of the 18 Aussie Open Final, Federer was up 4-3 on the tiebreaker on the second set when he hit a ball that just hit the top of the net and fell back to his side. Cilic had the next serve; he would take the 5-4 lead and subsequently the set, making it an even match again. Federer hit some great shots in the third and did some off-speed strokes that took Cilic out of his rhythm. He was up 3-1 in the fourth set and one point away from winning his fourth game; he was looking so dominant that John McEnroe called it match point in essence. But Federer didn't get it and there was a swing in momentum as Cillic then won the final five games to force a fifth set. The first game of that set was tight. But then when Federer won the next game on Cillic's serves and then held serve on the 3rd game, the writing seemed to be on the wall. Federer wasn't taking his eye off the prize and letting another set (and the monumental match) slip away. He would win the set, 6-1.

This was the 36-year-old legend's twentieth slam in thirty tries; and he was very emotional following the landmark achievement. It's his second Aussie Open le in a row and third slam win in the last five (four as I think he took the French Open off). Apparently, this string of success comes after a injury inhibiting four-year span in which he had failed to win a slam and in which some were saying he might win but one or two more slams, as people were saying his best days were behind him. This puts him four grand slams ahead of his rival Rafael Nadal, who sits on sixteen. It puts him eight ahead of Djokovic who is at twelve and who had won five of six Aussie Opens prior to Federer's resurgence in the event. The le also puts Roger's Aussie Open tally at six, ahead of Djokovic.

Incidentally, the Cillic/Nadal QF followed a similar run of play with Nadal winning the first and third sets and Cillic winning the second and fourth. But down 0-2 in the fifth set, Nadal retired (presumably with an injury). A Federer/Nadal grand slam final would've been fun. I would guess there is at least one or two more of those coming. But these players are getting older, so one has to assume that every time it happens it could be the last time. Though, Federer still has a superior service game and impeccable ball placement and suitable mobility and stamina; so, he may keep going strong to forty.

And of note, I thought it was funny when McEnroe said that if Cillic pulled out the fifth set (and won his second career grand slam), then such a feat would land him in the tennis Hall of Fame. I couldn't tell if that comment was paying homage to Federer or truly the result of not very high standards for the said HOF given that I don't follow their standards.
    Last edited by Spurtacular; 01-28-2018 at 07:57 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Djoker, Murray and Rafa all breaking down while Fed is still going strong.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a pretty amazing accomplishment, and an excellent topic for the NBA Forum...kind of breaks up the monotony a bit. Bravo!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Federer might be the GOATEST of all the GOATS, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    in lol at tennis though.

I mean, teams chop and change in team sports to keep dynasties and what not....tennis is obviously different though....

Why is a 36 year old or whatever, still doing this? Wheres the young and growing compe ion?

Its not like its table tennis or pool either....this is some physical ....cmon you useless young s

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Federer might be the GOATEST of all the GOATS, tbh.
    Why am I not surprised

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why am I not surprised
    So you have a problem with Federer too? Why do you hate GOATs so much son?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    in lol at tennis though.

I mean, teams chop and change in team sports to keep dynasties and what not....tennis is obviously different though....

Why is a 36 year old or whatever, still doing this? Wheres the young and growing compe ion?

Its not like its table tennis or pool either....this is some physical ....cmon you useless young s
    I think it's pretty obvious that the lifespan of a professional sportmen has extended across all activities, tbh. On the NBA you have folks playing well into their 40's, in the NFL old ass Brady is still the man to beat, Mayweather in boxing, etc.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Why am I not surprised
    son I rarely follow tennis so I'm not in the know, so this is an honest question, why wouldn't federer be the GOAT?
    his stats are absolutely I mean statistically his dominance is far greater than any other modern-era relevant sport player, ever. He is doing Wilt stats combined with Bill Russell winning. To come out of semi-retirement and win 3 slams is just mind breaking tbh, just those 3 are a guaranteed HOF career.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why are we talking about field-ping pong?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I think it's pretty obvious that the lifespan of a professional sportmen has extended across all activities, tbh. On the NBA you have folks playing well into their 40's, in the NFL old ass Brady is still the man to beat, Mayweather in boxing, etc.
    don't think tennis follows the same rules to age progression, the sport is absolutely brutal for the body, playing 1v1 for long hours in the hot summer sun on hard court is not like mayweather fighting once a year or NBA corpses playing 20 mins indoors. Just saying tbh.

65 tons of American pride Canyonero's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    don't think tennis follows the same rules to age progression, the sport is absolutely brutal for the body, playing 1v1 for long hours in the hot summer sun on hard court is not like mayweather fighting once a year or NBA corpses playing 20 mins indoors. Just saying tbh.
    Federoids tbh

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Would've like to have seen a Nadal v. Federer match-up, but it didn't happen. Dude is unreal. I have a good buddy who is a Fedhead and he was telling me about how huge 20 was. Good for him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Federer and Brady are obvious cheaters, tbh nobody calls them out because they're beloved figures..I don't have a problem with it, I believe all athletes should be permitted to pursue every possible avenue that leads to longevity and optimal performance, but the hypocrisy is cute..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Federer's game & movement has always been effortless as he's always tried to dictate play & keeps the points short. Nadal on the other hand, has a brutal style on his body where he aims to get every ball back while standing 12+ feet behind the baseline and generating ridiculous top spin until he's able to position himself for a winner. Federer also plays barely any tournaments apart from the lead up to the slams & barely practises during slams all helping to prolong his game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guys like Thiem & Zverev don't have the game to win a grand slam & Kyrgios is a head case obviously so that eliminates a lot of the young guys as threats also.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, you have a bunch of 30+ year old folks owning tennis right now. So I don't know how much true does your theory hold, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Federer and Brady are obvious cheaters, tbh nobody calls them out because they're beloved figures..I don't have a problem with it, I believe all athletes should be permitted to pursue every possible avenue that leads to longevity and optimal performance, but the hypocrisy is cute..
    I'm a firma believer that all top athletes dope one way or another, but if there's one dude I could believe he doesn't is Federer, tbh.

I mean, just look at that.

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, you have a bunch of 30+ year old folks owning tennis right now. So I don't know how much true does your theory hold, tbh.
    I thought I read somewhere that the amount of kids playing tennis has been on a steady decline for a long time. so obviously not as much compe ion anymore

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought I read somewhere that the amount of kids playing tennis has been on a steady decline for a long time. so obviously not as much compe ion anymore
    That still doesn't adress the point that dfens brought about tenis being too brutal for the body. If that was the case folks like Federer and Nadal would be retired now, no matter how weak the compe ion is.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Federer Round of 16 Wimbledon match tomorrow morning, early.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope we get a 10-year anniversary rematch of 2008, the greatest match of all time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm a firma believer that all top athletes dope one way or another, but if there's one dude I could believe he doesn't is Federer, tbh.

I mean, just look at that.
    Not all doping leads to muscle mass/definition. But yeah, can't take anything away from Federer regardless.

Thread Information