Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Fighting transition and 3 pointers with post ups and 18 foot fadeaway jumpers.
    Most predictable bump in ST history.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not true at all. 17th on offense + 2nd on defense = 3rd seed right now. A playoff team by definition.
    I wonder what part of "the defense is hiding many Spurs problems" you didn't understand...Without that #2 on D, being 17th on offense means being a non-playoffs team.

Just look at the standings and tell me what other playoffs team is worse on offense than the Spurs...Just one, the Heat.

Basically if a team has a poor offensivenly...doesn't make the playoffs.

https://stats.nba.com/teams/advanced..._RATING&dir=-1

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not the same offense that won 67 games last year with a fairly decent average margin of victory? The answer is no, because it's missing Kawhi. When Kawhi returns, however, the offense shouldn't flounder as much.
    No. The answer is no, because Pop has made changes to involve LMA in the post a lot more after their summer-talks. Kawhi's return won't affect it.

A coach can use a big in many ways, LMA is a talented big, Pop could make him to get his points in many other ways...But posting-up with that frequency is just insane.

Again, the issue is LMA is posting-up 45% fq. I wonder why this is so hard to understand.
    Last edited by YGWHI; 02-02-2018 at 07:44 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem isn't that LMA posting up. It's that posting up last year was way worse than it is this year. This year he's more than a tenth of a point better than he was last year on those plays.
    Not really. Not against top-teams. LMA had a lot of great games against non-playoffs teams this season but against the top teams you couldn't see that efficiency or great performances.

But again, this isn't on LMA. It's on Pop. You can't post a big 45% and expect to win against elite teams. That won't happen. Not in 2018.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not saying don't involve Aldridge. I'm saying involve him in more efficient ways.
    Exactly

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This notion that postup offense doesn't have a place in the modern game is just ignorant.
    As main offense? I'd say it doesn't have a place. Not in 2018.

You can go big, you can use your bigs in many ways, you can post-up in some possessions, but making a post-up strategy the primary offensive option of a team? It's just ignorant.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the point is that you can't play post up offense if you don't take advantage of a miss match...in the first quarter Harden was defending with success LMA and Gasol in post up situation...this simply can't happen. If it happens, blame your players, not the system...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When Aldridge posts up, he too often bulls his way into traffic, leaving wide open teammates as 4-down spectators

iow, he needs to pass out more often. He's too much of a black hole.

Pop calls 4-down way too much. Tim has retired.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are not hitting our open looks. We probably lost 3 games down the stretch because of it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. The answer is no, because Pop has made changes to involve LMA in the post a lot more after their summer-talks. Kawhi's return won't affect it.

A coach can use a big in many ways, LMA is a talented big, Pop could make him to get his points in many other ways...But posting-up with that frequency is just insane.

Again, the issue is LMA is posting-up 45% fq. I wonder why this is so hard to understand.
    is not difficult to understand, Pop has already said that he will be using Aldridge where he feels comfortable, where it does NOT work against teams that matter in the current nba, but people understand what they want to understand

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    is not difficult to understand, Pop has already said that he will be using Aldridge where he feels comfortable, where it does NOT work against teams that matter in the current nba, but people understand what they want to understand

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop calls 4-down way too much. Tim has retired.
    Couldn't agree more.

People here think that something that worked 15 years ago it's the right strategy now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Couldn't agree more.

People here think that something that worked 15 years ago it's the right strategy now.
    What type of offense should the Spurs run without Kawhi then? Who would you have as the main guy instead of Aldridge?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What type of offense should the Spurs run without Kawhi then? Who would you have as the main guy instead of Aldridge?
    I think that LMA is talented enough offensivenly to involve him in other ways than posting-up 45% fq, don't you?

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That harden new age offense looked great last year in the POs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not saying don't involve Aldridge. I'm saying involve him in more efficient ways.
    The conundrum is that LMA wants his touches by posting up so that he can take his beloved fadeaways. He is resistant to reducing the percentage of post-ups. Those are guaranteed touches.
    Last edited by sasaint; 02-02-2018 at 09:10 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that LMA is talented enough offensivenly to involve him in other ways than posting-up 45% fq, don't you?
    Oh, sure he is, but the Spurs would need a good creator to set him up and they don't have that. He absolutely should be more involved in PnRs, both as a roll man or pick and pop, but his PnR partner is missing.

Aldridge's spot up and pull up shooting numbers aren't good. His post up scoring is better as a FG%, but also because he rarely turns the ball over in these situations compared to other players who post up a lot and on top of that it creates opportunities for the shooters on some inside-out action. Shooters haven't been great this season either, partially because of the worse spacing.

With the personnel the Spurs have right now, I don't see a better option as a primary offense than an Aldridge post up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That harden new age offense looked great last year in the POs.
    Of course. Because D'Antoni extremism is the only one possible opposite to post-up main offense, right?

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course. Because D'Antoni extremism is the only one possible opposite to post-up main offense, right?
    Because our team is fully healthy right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His talent isn't the issue. It's his willingness. Postups are guaranteed touches.

I inferred from all the LMA off-season brouhaha that it was precisely because of Pop's efforts to involve him in other ways that LMA was disenchanted. In all of Pop's mea culpas he said he was over-coaching LMA; so in their tête-à-tête Pop conceded to LMA, so that he could "just play his game" going forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, sure he is, but the Spurs would need a good creator to set him up and they don't have that. He absolutely should be more involved in PnRs, both as a roll man or pick and pop, but his PnR partner is missing.
    Parker can do it at some way but he's coming off the bench now. Other Pop's decision that favors posting-up with the SL.

Shooters haven't been great this season either, partially because of the worse spacing.
    Some people said here Spurs' shooters had bad FG% last season because of Kawhi's high usage...Now, they have a bad shooting season again. I'd say this team doesn't have reliable shooters. That's all.

With the personnel the Spurs have right now, I don't see a better option as a primary offense than an Aldridge post up.
    I didn't see Pop trying other things. I guess you don't know what will work or not if you don't try to change before.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because our team is fully healthy right?
    When Kawhi comes back and LMA still post-up 45%.. I'll hard

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His talent isn't the issue. It's his willingness. Postups are guaranteed touches.

I inferred from all the LMA off-season brouhaha that it was precisely because of Pop's efforts to involve him in other ways that LMA was disenchanted. In all of Pop's mea culpas he said he was over-coaching LMA; so in their tête-à-tête Pop conceded to LMA, so that he could "just play his game" going forward.
    Yes, that's why I mentioned their summer-talks. Sadly, it seems like it has to do a lot in how the offense looks now.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That same player was the best player on the floor while harden was accused of throwing games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly! It's either that or pouting. Either way it's just a matter of how frequently and how much will he disappear. How's LMA doing in crunch time of close games this season without Kawhi?

Thread Information