Page 2 of 115 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This coming off-season is going to be a watershed moment for the Spurs. It is undoubtedly the most important for the franchise in two decades.

And no, signing Kawhi long term isn't going to be a panacea. Some other corrective moves has to be made to cut the in dead-weight on this roster.

Looking forward to how this will play out: The scenarios run the gamut from full-blowup and rebuild, to the treadmill of mediocrity and perennial 4th-6th seed, to a vault back to contention..

signing leonard is not the cure all but it is the key to the where the franchise goes from here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm also rooting for the Rockets to win the le so it would kill off the Lebron-to-Houston speculation. Who knows maybe Pop can salvage his last few years with one-on-one meeting with Lebron..

stephen a. (take it for what it's worth) was saying yesterday that he hears houston has tempered their interest in lebron because they are going to focus on keeping cp3 and their core group. they supposedly do not wish to gut the team just to get lebron.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    No way would I trade Kawhi to LA without getting back Ingram. I think he is going to blossom into a very good NBA player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wrong thread..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Offload Pop

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pessimistic about the off-season. The Spurs saw virtually the same show against GSW in last year's playoffs that we're seeing now, and the only upgrade they made was Rudy Gay.

Despite the higher than usual draft pick upcoming, I expect that player to be relegated to G league all year, and no major free agents will sign here. So, against all odds, we'll be even older and slower next year... if that's possible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I'm not confident either, especially with the Spurs most likely losing Kawhi for 50 cents on the dollar. Dark times are ahead for the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's get this baby going..

Kawhi situation aside, Aldridge and Manu should be back. Everyone else should be a fair game: cut the in' dead weight and NOW..

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade aldridge

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only way he is getting traded if they completely blow it up, which would also mean Pop/TP/Manu/Kawhi all gone..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Time to bump this. This off-season will be incredibly interesting to the future of the Spurs.

• We will find out what Kawhi will do. If he doesn't sign a Super-Max or a new contract with the Spurs, we know he is gone and the Spurs era is over.
    • Can we even attract any Free Agents? Last off-season was horrific, CP3 did not want to come here. Looks like he made the right choice.
    • Our dumpster of a roster will either be re-signed, or we will let go of a lot of dead weight.
    • The highest draft pick we've had in a long time. We will see how good the Spurs can draft. If it's a Eurotrash pick, then we know our team is complete garbage. Will it be a Derrick White situation where we will never play the trash ass pick?

This will determine how our Front Office will be evaluated. More than likely, we will still be complete trash next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Literally no one is untouchable. First time as a Spurs fan I can say that with confidence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dream offseason:

Brought back:

- Manu plays out his contract
    - Bertans brought back
    - Kawhi reconciles
    - Gay opts out of 1/8 for 2/13 or 3/16
    - Milutinov brought over

Gone:

- Pau salary dumped
    - Green opts out. Thanks for the memories.
    - Parker retires
    - Anderson walks
    - Forbes cut loose

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Asked about what he will do next season. @paugasol says he’s definitely playing—“I’ve got a lot left in the tank.” Says this was one of his most efficient years given his playing time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Asked about what he will do next season. @paugasol says he’s definitely playing—“I’ve got a lot left in the tank.” Says this was one of his most efficient years given his playing time.
    please God let this be traded

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've got a lot of gas left in the tank of my 2000 Chevrolet Astro. Still won't work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Regardless of the Kawhi situation, I wanna see this team go young. Manu, Tony if it's on the cheap, and Gay can come back though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've got a lot of gas left in the tank of my 2000 Chevrolet Astro. Still won't work.
    Hes jus sayin that hes full of hot air!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What he really meant was that he still has a lot more paychecks to collect while doing nothing more than just cardio while showcasing his ballerina skills out on the court like the majestic swan that he's now become

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really hope we start getting more info about the Kawhi situation now that the season is over.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Dream offseason:

Brought back:

- Manu plays out his contract
    - Bertans brought back
    - Kawhi reconciles
    - Gay opts out of 1/8 for 2/13 or 3/16
    - Milutinov brought over

Gone:

- Pau salary dumped
    - Green opts out. Thanks for the memories.
    - Parker retires
    - Anderson walks
    - Forbes cut loose
    this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course he was. The Spurs weren't going to give Pau $23 Million as retirement money. If he hung em up, RC would have been doing backflips.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So much dead weight to lose.

Get me some size and shooting. I want no more midgets, nor offensively challenged folks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good breakdown on how the mechanics work around Kawhi from Bobby Marks. In summary with some editorializing:

• Extension deadline is October 15th
    • As most know, a Supermax deal can only be signed with the Spurs, and there is a one year no-trade that comes with it
    • The extension can have injury protections like Embiid’s, by a cir stances are different and Kawhi might be insulted
    • In a trade, he could only be extended in a deal with a first year extension salary of $24.1 million instead of $37.8 million. That would be financially punitive to him, and much lower than he’d get signing a deal as a free agent next offseason even with a new team. A new FA deal would be at 30% of the cap or at least $30 million, so a big difference
    • That team WOULD get his Bird rights though, and we know cap space will be limited in a year, limiting his options and giving that team a seat at the table - similar to Paul George. You also get bigger annual escalators which change the outer year dollars in the deal.
    • Spurs lose leverage on a possible trade as each day passes

My read here is that if Kawhi is at all concerned with long-term security, he’s taking a deal from the Spurs. Just remains to be seen what deal is offered. If he doesn’t, he either has to wait a full year for free agency as a Spur or on another team and hope his injury isn’t debilitating, or take a deal that starts $13 million a year lower after being traded to a new team to lock up the money now. He’s not taking that $24.1 million starting deal unless he’s incredibly concerned with his long-term health, in which case you wouldn’t want him on the Supermax deal either.

Some points on other players too if you read the full piece. Nothing groundbreaking but does go through options around the RFAs.

Thread Information