Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Opioid Crisis Cost $631 Billion to U.S. Economy Over 4 Years

and it may keep getting more expensive,

The biggest driver of the cost over the four-year period is unrealized lifetime earnings of those who died from the drugs, followed by health care costs.governments bear less than one-third of the financial costs.

The rest of it affects individuals and the private sector. lives are lost to the opioid crisis (more than 400,000 Americans since 2000)

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/opioid-crisis-cost-631-billion-to-u-s-economy-over-4-years-study-says/

And Sacklers don't want to pay up without keeping themselves as billionaires.

How ed up must a country be to allow 400K deaths while BigPharma rakes in $100Bs?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Three drug distributors in talks to settle opioid litigation for $18 billion

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...e=domesticNews

and the lawyers get how much?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At height of crisis, Walgreens handled nearly one in five of the most addictive opioids

The company acted as its own distributor and, according to a lawsuit,

failed to report su ious orders of pain pills and

prevent diversion to the black market.

Walgreens dominated the nation’s retail opioid market from 2006 through 2012, buying about 13 billion pills

— 3 billion more than CVS, its closest compe or,

Over those years, Walgreens more than doubled its purchases of oxycodone.

The company had “runaway growth” of oxycodone sales because

it continued to send pills to stores “without limit or review,”

Edward Bratton, Walgreens manager of

pharmaceutical integrity oxymoron!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...s/?arc404=true

Narcos shoot up a few Mormons in MX, huge freakout.

BigPharma profits from 30,000 opioid deaths / year, yawn, that's just Capitalism

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How Chemists, Chinese Factories, and ‘Dark Web’ Dealers Spread Fentanyl Across the US

the Centers for Disease Control has called the “third wave” of the opioid crisis.

The Wizard of OxyContin—where is he now?

That nickname,
    revealed in leaked do ents, belonged to

an employee of Abbott Laboratories, which partnered with Purdue Pharmaceuticals to sell the drug.

Starting in the late 1990s, he and his colleagues canvassed clinics around the country, hard-selling doctors on their flagship product.

Purdue wooed doctors taught to distrust pain medications with steaks, vacations, and a stunning range of swag:

Oxy-branded clocks, pens, beach hats, even swing music compilations.

They were told that, unlike other opioids, OxyContin was addiction-proof;

its time-release coating assured a steady, measured dose and would thwart attempts at abuse.

Unmentioned by those reps—but known by their bosses from day one—was

the ease with which this coating could be removed.

As doctors began prescribing the drug in ever-larger numbers and Oxy’s sales soared into the billions,

this glitch would devastate families, ravage towns, and before long spark the worst drug crisis in US history.

Purdue eventually gestured toward fixing this problem, after 14 years of lucrative dithering.

In 2017, more than 47,000 Americans have died of opioid overdoses, the highest number on record.

the heroin available in the United States (along with fast-rising quan ies of cocaine) was laced with fentanyl.

The advantage, for dealers, was price:

Fentanyl costs less than heroin and is easier to acquire.

It also happens to be 50 times more potent.

If Fentanyl, Inc. does have a primary antagonist, it’s the Chinese government.

Virtually all of the fentanyls that have flooded the United States in recent years have been manufactured in China,

where many NPS are legal, an arrangement that allows

legitimate businesses to churn them out on a scale inconceivable to illicit drug makers in North America.

This process has been heavily underwritten, as Westhoff demonstrates, by “lucrative tax incentives, subsidies, and direct financial support” from the Chinese government,

as part of its breakneck bid to expand the country’s biotechnology sector.
    https://www.thenation.com/article/fentanyl-inc-review/

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm white but, it's nonsense. When the blacks were doing their crack into the slammer they went one-by-one, no parole allowed, no rehab, no cryin' & moanin' over it, no President standing up for them.

Now all these white people are going to get checks & free medical .
    & the poor schnook who needs a good pain reliever at times will play getting it. You know what they give you?,,a gigantic Aleve. Well, that. I can take 5 over the counter little Aleve's that would equal that giant one I have to get a script for.

The old man is wrong on thisPERIOD
    Nothing in American history has ever affected black the same way as white.

Drug overdoses are good, one less junkie on the street willing to commit crime to get their next high.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Few doctors can legally prescribe opioid-addiction drug

Fewer than one in 10 primary care providers in the U.S. can prescribe the opioid-addiction medication buprenorphine, and

access is even more scarce in rural counties hardest hit by overdoses

Since 2000, physicians have been able to seek waivers from the federal government to prescribe buprenorphine, seen as an alternative to methadone dispensed at federally approved clinics,

opioid deaths skyrocketed from about 16,500 per year to 46,000 per year,” McBain said by email. “So we see that need for treatment also ballooned.”

“The kind of doctor most people actually get to see is legally prohibited from offering the most accessible and effective form of treatment for opioid addiction,”

most of our health care workforce is not ready to treat a devastating and treatable disease is a tragedy that we need to fix.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-bruprenorphine-prescribing/few-doctors-can-legally-prescribe-opioid-addiction-drug-idUSKBN1Z528C?feedType=RSS&feedName=healthNews&utm _source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Fe ed%3A+reuters%2FhealthNews+%28Reuters+Health+News% 29

WTF has our wonderful opioid Czarina Kelly Ann Conway be up to?

I would not be surprised if corrupt BigOpioidMfr has been lobbying against wider availability of
    buprenorphine.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Medicaid expansion associated with fewer opioid overdose deaths across the US

a six percent reduction in total opioid overdose deaths nationally,

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-01/nlh-mea010720.php

So red states' refusal to expand Medicaid just to spite Obama was an act of manslaughter,

combined with higher mortality in non-Medicaid-expanded red states from all causes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sacklers settle for $225M ( they made $35 billion in ulative oxycontin revenues by the end of 2017.)

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justi...gations-opioid

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mayo Pete's former employer, McKinsey, gave shady advice to Purdue Pharma and shredded records.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Sacklers’ Last Poison Pill

A trapdoor in the (Barr) Justice Department deal with the family’s company

might enable them to escape a full accounting of their part in the opioid epidemic.

As part of that plea, Purdue agreed to pay $8 billion to the United States. The Sacklers, who served on the board of directors and were characterized as Purdue’s “de facto C.E.O.” by a company executive,

agreed to pay $225 million in civil penalties,
    estimated to be about 2 percent of their wealth.

the settlement contains a largely overlooked poison-pill provision:

If the Justice Department is unsatisfied with any reorganization plan proposed for Purdue, << Barr's choice

it can walk away from the settlement.

That could more than double its claims to
    $18 billion, and

allow it to use its civil forfeiture powers to seize Purdue’s assets.

Nothing might then be left for opioid victims and other creditors.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/05/o...harma-doj.html

So it's Barr's choice, in HIS deal, whether the Sacklers avoid punishment and victims get screwed.

More billionaires killing 100Ks of people for profit will be escaping punishment.

Meanwhile, Trash/Barr are rushing to kill as many poor people, in as many different ways (hanging, firing squad), who mostly killed one person, as fast as they can.

Last edited by boutons_deux; 12-06-2020 at 07:25 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lost in the hullaballoo, the Sacklers and their representative testified in Congress this week. Rep. Katie Porter menaced them with the sharp stick of the law.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In SFO, more dying of overdose than C19

"The COVID-19 pandemic has exacerbated an already difficult situation

by reducing access to life-saving treatment, harm reduction, and recovery support services,

while increased stress and isolation might increase the risk of addiction and substance use disorders (SUDs).

As of July, 2020, deaths from drug overdose in the USA rose by an estimated 13% in the first half of the year compared with 2019, according to data compiled from several local and state governments.

In some states, drug-related deaths climbed by over 30%.

The pandemic has also triggered an economic recession

that threatens the survival of some addiction treatment centres,
    and

is expected to exacerbate social barriers such as housing instability,

which can further hinder treatment of SUDs.
    "

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...total%20deaths.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walmart is gonna get it in the shorts

The Justice Department sued the retail giant Walmart on Tuesday, accusing it of fueling the country's opioid crisis by inadequately screening thousands of dubious prescriptions and ignoring repeated warnings from its own pharmacists.

Walmart "knowingly violated well established rules requiring it to scrutinize controlled-substance prescriptions to ensure that they were valid" and required "pharmacists to process a high volume of prescriptions as fast as possible," the suit alleges.

By doing so, "Walmart profited by providing its pharmacies with unusually large quan ies of controlled substances to sell, and from selling other products to customers who came to Walmart stores only because Walmart pharmacies would readily provide these controlled substances," according to the federal complaint.

The retailer's own compliance unit "collected voluminous information indicating that Walmart was routinely being asked to fill invalid controlled-substance prescriptions," but "that unit for years withheld that information from pharmacists and allowed them to continue dispensing opioids based on invalid prescriptions," the suit says.

Jeffrey Bossert Clark, the acting assistant attorney general of the civil division of the Justice Department, said on a call with reporters: "Walmart's pharmacies violated the law by filling thousands of prescriptions for controlled substances that Walmart's pharmacists knew were invalid.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/u-s-sues-walmart-alleged-role-fueling-opioid-crisis-n1252148

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    walmart will spends $10Ms on lawyers and escape with handslap, at worst.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the federal Opioid settlement with Big Pharma is recoupable in taxes.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pharma executives mocked addicts as 'pillbillies'

as they drowned West Virginia in opiates

The emails were revealed by West Virginia prosecutor Paul Farrell Jr. in a trial against drug makers AmerisourceBergen, Cardinal Health Inc. and McKesson Corp., whose

executives mocked addicts as "pillbillies,"

"Watch out Georgia and Alabama, there will be a mass exodus of pillbillies heading north," ... after Florida passed legislation in 2011 cracking down on the pharmacies.

Other executives made up songs about Appalachian addicts

to the tune of "The Beverly Hillbillies" theme and

Jimmy Buffett's "Margaritaville,"

while a corporate investigator forwarded an email led "Oxycontin for kids" showing a cereal box altered to read "SMACK."

https://www.rawstory.com/west-virginia-opiate-problem

100Ks dead Americans was BigPharma Capitalists' cause for condescending, ridiculing jokes

Last edited by boutons_deux; 05-17-2021 at 03:45 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

100Ks dead Americans was BigPharma Capitalists' cause for condescending, ridiculing jokes

Small potatoes compared to alcohol/tobacco deaths. Not to mention poor nutrition.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

tRumps campaign promise to go after BigPharma.

Not that Sleepy Joe will do anything differently.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump and Rudy Giuliani's ties to opioid crisis revealed by HBO 'The Crime of the Century' filmmaker

America's opioid crisis -- as bad as it continues to be -- was on the precipice of becoming much worse under the administration of former president Donald Trump.

both Trump's involvement and also linked former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani to the crisis.

Trump's initial choice of Rep. Tom Marino (R-PA) to head up the effort.

the guy who did more than anybody to eviscerate the DEA and

his ability to go after these companies that were flooding America, the opioids, of course,"

the ultimate blame is with the drug companies -- with Giuliani having a hand in the problem.

"Purdue gets its hand slapped, but doesn't have to endure any real punishment in 2006 because of a deal cut mysteriously. And nobody knows exactly who cut that deal at the Department of Justice," he reported.

"But Rudy Giuliani was, was a part of it.

And then it happens again in 2020 with this deal cut again at the Department of Justice where fines are paid, key facts are buried."

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-opioid

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Pharma executives mocked addicts as 'pillbillies'

as they drowned West Virginia in opiates

The emails were revealed by West Virginia prosecutor Paul Farrell Jr. in a trial against drug makers AmerisourceBergen, Cardinal Health Inc. and McKesson Corp., whose

executives mocked addicts as "pillbillies,"

"Watch out Georgia and Alabama, there will be a mass exodus of pillbillies heading north," ... after Florida passed legislation in 2011 cracking down on the pharmacies.

Other executives made up songs about Appalachian addicts

to the tune of "The Beverly Hillbillies" theme and

Jimmy Buffett's "Margaritaville,"

while a corporate investigator forwarded an email led "Oxycontin for kids" showing a cereal box altered to read "SMACK."

Now because Americans couldn't handle their we can't get a decent pain killer. in' shame. Thank Christ I held onto every one I ever got and have a good stash of the junk. Otherwise I'd be in a world of real hurt.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Trump and Rudy Giuliani's ties to opioid crisis revealed by HBO 'The Crime of the Century' filmmaker

America's opioid crisis -- as bad as it continues to be -- was on the precipice of becoming much worse under the administration of former president Donald Trump.

both Trump's involvement and also linked former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani to the crisis.

Trump's initial choice of Rep. Tom Marino (R-PA) to head up the effort.

the guy who did more than anybody to eviscerate the DEA and

his ability to go after these companies that were flooding America, the opioids, of course,"

the ultimate blame is with the drug companies -- with Giuliani having a hand in the problem.

"Purdue gets its hand slapped, but doesn't have to endure any real punishment in 2006 because of a deal cut mysteriously. And nobody knows exactly who cut that deal at the Department of Justice," he reported.

"But Rudy Giuliani was, was a part of it.

And then it happens again in 2020 with this deal cut again at the Department of Justice where fines are paid, key facts are buried."

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-opioid
    Horse . Act like somebody for Christ sake. That stuff was like gold on tooth and body pain. A Godsend it was. All gone. You ask for it now and all manner of starts up. A genuflect here, a rustle of papers there, a swish of a doctor's smock over there, a huff and puff from the nurse and finally..."No, Dale, I can give you a giant acetaminophen pill though how's that?"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Admitting Addiction To Yourself Is The First Step Towards Recovery.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Admitting Addiction To Yourself Is The First Step Towards Recovery.
    Or, you could do what President Trump did about alcohol...

"How come you don't drink alcohol, Mr. President."

---

"If you don't start, you don't have to stop."

President Trump, the greatest President to ever walk the face of the earth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump’s brother was an alcoholic so that might explain aversion to drinking. With such a big ego and fat ass, looks very true that trump has issues taking weight loss pills.

“In July, Gawker reported what it called “a rumor” that Trump’s abuse of amphetamine-like diet pills did not end in the 1980s,, when he stopped seeing Dr. Greenberg.

According to Gawker reporter Ashley Feinberg, publishing the piece on July 1, “according to our source, the Donald Trump of today is on a diet drug called phentermine — and has been since at least April of 2014.”

Phentermine is also known more informally as “Fen-Phen,” which combined the drug with another, fenfluramine, and was marketed as a “miracle” weight loss drug. But Fen-Phen was pulled from the market by the Food and Drug Administration in 1997, after it was found to have potentially deadly side-effects, damaging a user’s heart muscle.”

https://heavy.com/news/2016/10/donal...n-debate-test/

Thread Information