Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a tiny hit on their opioid profits

Drugmaker Endo to pay $10 million to settle opioid case ahead of trial

in a landmark case by two Ohio counties accusing various drug manufacturers and distributors of fueling the U.S. opioid epidemic.

agreed to provide up to $1 million of two of its drug products free of charge. mfr cost: $100

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-opioids-litigation/drugmaker-endo-to-pay-10-million-to-settle-opioid-case-ahead-of-trial-idUSKCN1VA1FU?feedType=RSS&feedName=domesticNews

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Purdue Pharma 'offers up to $12bn' to settle opioid cases

Purdue Pharma, the opioid drug-maker owned by the billionaire Sackler family, is reported to be

offering between $10bn and $12bn to settle thousands of lawsuits against it.

The firm is facing over 2,000 lawsuits linked to its painkiller OxyContin.

Purdue told the BBC it was "actively working" towards a "global resolution" but would not comment on the amount.

NBC, which first reported the news,
    said the settlement would involve the Sacklers giving up ownership of Purdue. they keepy $Bs

The firm said in a statement:

"While Purdue Pharma is prepared to defend itself vigorously in the opioid litigation, the company has made clear that it sees little good coming from years of wasteful litigation and appeals." ing lawyers

Purdue is one of 22 opioid makers, distributors and pharmacies named in over 2,000 cases which are due to go to trial in October.

The cases, which have been bought by states, cities and counties, allege the company used deceptive practices to sell opioids and is responsible for fuelling an opioid addiction crisis in the US.

On average, 130 Americans die from an opioid overdose every day, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The firm has said that the US regulator, the Food and Drug Administration, approved labels for OxyContin that had warnings about the risks.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49491307

But beware the Muslim ISIS terrorists! They gonna kill us all!

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Purdue Pharma 'offers up to $12bn' to settle opioid cases

Purdue Pharma, the opioid drug-maker owned by the billionaire Sackler family, is reported to be

offering between $10bn and $12bn to settle thousands of lawsuits against it.

The firm is facing over 2,000 lawsuits linked to its painkiller OxyContin.

Purdue told the BBC it was "actively working" towards a "global resolution" but would not comment on the amount.

NBC, which first reported the news,
    said the settlement would involve the Sacklers giving up ownership of Purdue. they keepy $Bs

The firm said in a statement:

"While Purdue Pharma is prepared to defend itself vigorously in the opioid litigation, the company has made clear that it sees little good coming from years of wasteful litigation and appeals." ing lawyers

Purdue is one of 22 opioid makers, distributors and pharmacies named in over 2,000 cases which are due to go to trial in October.

The cases, which have been bought by states, cities and counties, allege the company used deceptive practices to sell opioids and is responsible for fuelling an opioid addiction crisis in the US.

On average, 130 Americans die from an opioid overdose every day, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The firm has said that the US regulator, the Food and Drug Administration, approved labels for OxyContin that had warnings about the risks.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49491307

But beware the Muslim ISIS terrorists! They gonna kill us all!

I'm white but, it's nonsense. When the blacks were doing their crack into the slammer they went one-by-one, no parole allowed, no rehab, no cryin' & moanin' over it, no President standing up for them.

Now all these white people are going to get checks & free medical .
    & the poor schnook who needs a good pain reliever at times will play getting it. You know what they give you?,,a gigantic Aleve. Well, that. I can take 5 over the counter little Aleve's that would equal that giant one I have to get a script for.

The old man is wrong on thisPERIOD

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Crack makes individuals aggressive. More prone to violent crime.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lawsuits filed by more than 2,000 state, local and tribal governments have cast Purdue as a chief villain in an overdose crisis that has killed more than 400,000 people in the U.S. since 2000.

Holy ing balls.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Crack makes individuals aggressive. More prone to violent crime.
    The difference twixt black & white.

& Media stood down on this one.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lawsuits filed by more than 2,000 state, local and tribal governments have cast Purdue as a chief villain in an overdose crisis that has killed more than 400,000 people in the U.S. since 2000.

Holy ing balls.
    Actually, there are MANY suppliers of opioids, and I bet some of the smaller ones will declare bankruptcy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm white but, it's nonsense. When the blacks were doing their crack into the slammer they went one-by-one, no parole allowed, no rehab, no cryin' & moanin' over it, no President standing up for them.

Now all these white people are going to get checks & free medical .
    & the poor schnook who needs a good pain reliever at times will play getting it. You know what they give you?,,a gigantic Aleve. Well, that. I can take 5 over the counter little Aleve's that would equal that giant one I have to get a script for.

The old man is wrong on thisPERIOD
    I agree.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "When the blacks were doing their crack into the slammer they went one-by-one, no parole allowed, no rehab, no cryin' & moanin' over it,"

Going back to the 1930s and Harry Anslinger and now keeping mj as Schedule I, the Drug War has always been White Males locking up blacks and browns (and anti-war hippies under Repug Tricky ).

Repeat daily: America is and ALWAYS has been about White (Christian) Male Supremacists oppressing non-whites and non-males.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "When the blacks were doing their crack into the slammer they went one-by-one, no parole allowed, no rehab, no cryin' & moanin' over it,"

Going back to the 1930s and Harry Anslinger and now keeping mj as Schedule I, the Drug War has always been White Males locking up blacks and browns (and anti-war hippies under Repug Tricky ).

Repeat daily: America is and ALWAYS has been about White (Christian) Male Supremacists oppressing non-whites and non-males.

Yup

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

& blacks ain't no slouches. They've been busting whitey hiney over a 1/2-a-century.

That driver, that truck driver in Los Angeles during the riots. ed him all up.

There's more.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Louisiana congressman’s pharmacies sold 1.5 million opioids to towns with population of 6,000 people

Rep. Ralph Abraham (R-LA) has been caught selling a huge number of opioid pills in two very small Louisiana towns in his district, scoring big profits.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/08/louisiana-congressmans-pharmacies-sold-1-5-million-opioids-to-towns-with-population-of-6000-people/

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Louisiana congressman’s pharmacies sold 1.5 million opioids to towns with population of 6,000 people

Rep. Ralph Abraham (R-LA) has been caught selling a huge number of opioid pills in two very small Louisiana towns in his district, scoring big profits.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/08/louisiana-congressmans-pharmacies-sold-1-5-million-opioids-to-towns-with-population-of-6000-people/

The perps who forced white to ingest these opioids should be brought to justice en mass, toot sweet.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    INSIDE THE DRUG INDUSTRY’S PLAN TO DEFEAT THE DEA

Faced with pressure to curtail su ious opioid shipments, an alliance fought back with every weapon at its disposal

How were drug companies able to weaken the federal government's most powerful enforcement weapon at the height of the crisis?

The industry enlisted members of Congress to limit the powers of the Drug Enforcement Administration.

It devised “tactics” to push back against the agency.

And it commissioned a “Crisis Playbook” to burnish its image and

blame the federal government for not doing enough to stop the epidemic.

In 2016, the drug companies convinced members of Congress and Obama administration officials

to rein in the DEA and force the agency to treat them as “partners” in efforts to solve the crisis.

The crowning achievement of the companies was a piece of legislation known as the “Marino bill,”

curbed the DEA’s ability to immediately suspend the operations of drug companies that failed to follow the law.

the full story has never been told

declined to be interviewed

Tom Marino (R-Pa.), who first proposed the bill;

former acting DEA administrator Chuck Rosenberg, whose agency surrendered to the pressure;

former attorney general Loretta E. Lynch, whose department did not stand in the way of the legislation; and,

finally, then-President Barack Obama, who signed it into law.

Beginning in 2006, the DEA went after drug distributors and pharmacies for failing to report su ious orders of millions of opioid pills that spilled into the black market.

Over the next decade, the

DEA brought two dozen enforcement cases and forced the companies to pay $500 million in fines.

Executives of the nation’s largest drug manufacturers and distributors were alarmed.

“The DEA is now hammering all of us,” Ann Berkey, then a senior vice president of McKesson Corp.,
    etc, etc

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/investigations/drug-industry-plan-to-defeat-dea/?noredirect=on&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

Just another example of the oligarchy corrupting govt to enable/enrich/protect itself,

which in this case enabled the deaths of 100Ks of Americans.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Oligarchy Strikes BAAACK.

the law, oligarchy rules, OK

Drug companies seek removal of judge in landmark opioid case

Drug industry lawyers facing more than 2,000 lawsuits over their alleged roles in the opioid epidemic

demanded Saturday that the federal judge overseeing the case step aside,

questioning his impartiality because he has consistently urged both sides to settle the case.

The request comes after a series of stinging rulings against the companies by
    U.S. District Judge Dan Polster in the historic trial slated to begin Oct. 21.

“Defendants do not bring this motion lightly,” the lawyers wrote in a filing this morning

on behalf of the some of the biggest drug distributors and retailers in the nation

but which did not include drug makers.

“Taken as a whole and viewed objectively, the record clearly demonstrates that recusal is necessary.”

The defense lawyers said Polster has overstepped his authority,

saying from the start that he wants the sides to settle the case

so that money for badly-needed drug treatment, overdose prevention and other services

could be sent quickly to communities hardest hit by the opioid epidemic.

https://beta.washingtonpost.com/heal...nl_most&wpmm=1

Can murderous, criminal BigPharma out-lawyer the Federal judiciary?

I'm guessing corporate Barr and/or SCOTUS s-in-robes will be on BigPharma's side

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Alarming number of heart infections tied to opioid epidemic

An alarming number of people nationwide are developing infections of either the heart's inner lining or valves, known as infective endocarditis, in large part, due to the current opioid epidemic.

This new trend predominantly affects

young, white, poor men who also have higher rates of HIV, hepa is C and alcohol abuse Trash's cult mob!

Infective endocarditis occurs when bacteria or fungi in the blood stream enter the heart's inner lining or valves.

One of the major risk factors for infective endocarditis is drug abuse.

"Infective endocarditis related to drug abuse is a nationwide epidemic,"

the prevalence ratio for drug-abuse-related heart infections nearly doubled in the United States, from 8% to 16%.

All geographic regions saw increases, and

the highest jump occurred in the Midwest

at nearly 5% per year.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...-ano091319.php

Whatzamatta with these red state kids?

Don't they know Trash has made their America Great Again?

Fantastic, well-funded public educations, affordable college, even affordable trade schools, plenty of good jobs with futures. Trash has provided it all.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Purdue Pharma, facing thousands of lawsuits and bankruptcy,

wants to pay ‘certain employees’ $34 million in bonuses

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/09/19/purdue-pharma-facing-thousands-lawsuits-bankruptcy-wants-pay-certain-employees-million-bonuses/?wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sacklers threaten to scrap opioid deal if they aren’t shielded from lawsuits

Sacklers seek "the benefit of bankruptcy without the burdens of bankruptcy."

Lawyers for OxyContin-maker Purdue Pharma filed a new complaint late Wednesday threatening that the company’s mega-rich owners,

the Sackler family, could pull out of a proposed
    multi-billion-dollar opioid settlement deal

if a bankruptcy judge doesn’t shield the family from outstanding state lawsuits.

Purdue’s lawyers argue that if the lawsuits continue,

the Sacklers will have to waste “hundreds of millions of dollars” on legal costs that could otherwise go to claimants in the settlement.

The family's lawyers added that in that event,

the family “may be unwilling—or unable—to make the billions of dollars of contributions” to the proposed settlement.

State attorneys general, however, argue that

the tactic is yet another move designed to shield the Sacklers and their ill-gotten wealth.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/09/sacklers-threaten-to-scrap-opioid-deal-if-they-arent-shielded-from-lawsuits/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sacklers gonna try to PR their way free

Purdue Hires PR Firm That Helped BP After Catastrophic 2010 Oil Spill

https://truthout.org/articles/purdue-hires-pr-firm-that-helped-bp-after-catastrophic-2010-oil-spill/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chilling report reveals how the DEA inflamed the opioid crisis

The DEA can’t justify why it authorized a 400%-plus increase in oxycodone production from 2002-2013

Even as fatal opioid overdoses surged dramatically across the country,

the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) authorized large increases in the production of painkillers,

The watchdog office described a DEA that was "slow to respond" to the opioid crisis, which has taken more than 400,000 lives over the past 20 years, according to government data.

"We found that the rate of opioid overdose deaths in the United States grew, on average, by 8 percent per year from 1999 through 2013 and by 71 percent per year from 2013 through 2017," the report said.

"Yet, from 2003 through 2013 DEA was authorizing manufacturers to produce substantially larger amounts of opioids."

The DEA, an arm of the Justice Department, is the federal agency that most directly oversees and regulates the production, distribution and administration of opioids.

It sets annual quotas for narcotics manufactured in the United States and investigates the illegal sales of prescription drugs.

Michael E. Horowitz, the inspector general, noted the agency authorized a greater than 400% increase in oxycodone production between 2002 and 2013 — despite evidence that opioids were being overprescribed and frequently misused.

https://www.salon.com/2019/10/06/chilling-report-shows-how-the-dea-inflamed-the-opioid-crisis/

but mj is Schedule I and kills nobody.

My guess is that the opioid lobbyists got to, even paid, DEA to allow 400% increase in oxycodone production

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rising heart infections tied to U.S. opioid epidemic

As the opioid epidemic continues in the U.S., more cases of an infection that damages the heart are being seen, researchers say.

Between 2002 and 2016, rates of infective endocarditis doubled,

with much of the increase occurring in young, poor, white men

who also tended to have higher rates of alcohol abuse, hepa is C and HIV, the study authors report in the Journal of the American Heart Association.

“Infective endocarditis is a very serious infection ... that can lead to heart failure, valve destruction, stroke and even death,”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...Health+News%29

DEA aided and abetted enrichment of Sackler family and other opioid mfrs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate the way they group all the "opiod" deaths together. Why not list the suicides separately? They do the same with gun deaths. 61% of gun deaths are suicides. then how many are illegal heroin/Fentanyl OD's? Why not use the REAL number for prescription drug deaths?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rising heart infections tied to U.S. opioid epidemic

As the opioid epidemic continues in the U.S., more cases of an infection that damages the heart are being seen, researchers say.

Between 2002 and 2016, rates of infective endocarditis doubled,

with much of the increase occurring in young, poor, white men

who also tended to have higher rates of alcohol abuse, hepa is C and HIV, the study authors report in the Journal of the American Heart Association.

“Infective endocarditis is a very serious infection ... that can lead to heart failure, valve destruction, stroke and even death,”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...Health+News%29

DEA aided and abetted enrichment of Sackler family and other opioid mfrs.

At what does personal responsibility ever come into play with anything for you boo?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate the way they group all the "opiod" deaths together. Why not list the suicides separately? They do the same with gun deaths. 61% of gun deaths are suicides. then how many are illegal heroin/Fentanyl OD's? Why not use the REAL number for prescription drug deaths?
    its annoying. Sadly as I've said in here before the Republican response to the crack epidemic was kind of racist in some ways and heartless but its true at the end of the day people need personal responsibility. There should definitely be programs to help these people but no one can help these people at the end of the day but themselves. i say racist because as soon as hillbilly white trash got hooked on opiates Republicans stopped lecturing drug users about personal responsibility.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information