Page 7 of 94 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    5. Violent crime rates tracked by "Right-to-Carry" (RTC) States vs. non-RTC. RTC states are significantly safer:

4. Compared to 25 other "First World" (OECD) countries, the United States has very few robberies.

3. Compared to all other United Nations' members, the U.S. murder rate is extremely low (and far lower if you pull out "gun-free" zones like Chicago and Washington, D.C.).

2. Gun ownership in the U.S. is literally off the charts, which validates Dr. John Lott: more guns yield less crime (or, as Heinlein put it, "An armed society is a polite society").

1. And, finally, for global homicide rates, the United States ranks on the low end of the spectrum. And, again, if "gun-free" zones like Chicago, Washington, D.C., and New York City were pulled from the data, the U.S. would be among the safest countries on Earth.

Bonus: From 2007-2010, if you wanted to avoid a mass-murder incident, domestic violence or general violent crime, you'd be far better off living in a right-to-carry state.

directorblue.blogspot.

Neat

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NRA/InfoWars Crew putting in overtime after a shooting per usual.

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Shall not be infringed guys

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shall not be infringed guys
    Muh militia

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    SHALL.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Huck

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    5. Violent crime rates tracked by "Right-to-Carry" (RTC) States vs. non-RTC. RTC states are significantly safer:

4. Compared to 25 other "First World" (OECD) countries, the United States has very few robberies.

3. Compared to all other United Nations' members, the U.S. murder rate is extremely low (and far lower if you pull out "gun-free" zones like Chicago and Washington, D.C.).

2. Gun ownership in the U.S. is literally off the charts, which validates Dr. John Lott: more guns yield less crime (or, as Heinlein put it, "An armed society is a polite society").

1. And, finally, for global homicide rates, the United States ranks on the low end of the spectrum. And, again, if "gun-free" zones like Chicago, Washington, D.C., and New York City were pulled from the data, the U.S. would be among the safest countries on Earth.

Bonus: From 2007-2010, if you wanted to avoid a mass-murder incident, domestic violence or general violent crime, you'd be far better off living in a right-to-carry state.

We're actually not on the "low end of the spectrum" concerning intentional homicide rate. We rank 94th out of 219 surveyed countries in that regard, which puts us in the top 42 percent, meaning our murder rate is well above average. Furthermore, we're the most violent "1st world country" (HDI >.850) by a good margin. I think that's an unacceptable standard to accept for the richest country in human history that has positioned itself as the proverbial shining light upon the hill. Our endeavor here shouldn't be to be less violent than Niger, it should be to be less violent than Norway.

The "bonus graph" has too much noise to be taken seriously and is arbitrarily broken up into 5 year periods to make a case. If you track the trend over the full ten years, there's little difference in the mass shooting rate between RTC and non-RTC states.

That said, "more gun control!" indeed simplifies the issue and probably will fail at getting our murder rate down to an acceptable first world level. As Spurraider hinted at, it'll take a multifaceted approach that addresses mental health care, the criminalization of petty, non-violent drug offenses, poverty, and reasonable gun control reform (I think 21 should be the minimum age for firearm ownership, as well as the minimum age to join the military. There's a mountain of evidence that the pre-frontal cortex, which regulates impulse control, mood, and long term planning, isn't fully developed until 25).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're actually not on the "low end of the spectrum" concerning intentional homicide rate. We rank 94th out of 219 surveyed countries in that regard, which puts us in the top 42 percent, meaning our murder rate is well above average. Furthermore, we're the most violent "1st world country" (HDI >.850) by a good margin. I think that's an unacceptable standard to accept for the richest country in human history that has positioned itself as the proverbial shining light upon the hill. Our endeavor here shouldn't be to be less violent than Niger, it should be to less violent than Norway.

The "bonus graph" has too much noise to be taken seriously and is arbitrarily broken up into 5 year periods to make a case. If you track the trend over the full ten years, there's little difference in the mass shooting rate between RTC and non-RTC states.

That said, "more gun control!" indeed simplifies the issue and probably will fail at getting our murder rate down to an acceptable first world level. As Spurraider hinted at, it'll take a multifaceted approach that addresses mental health care, the criminalization of petty, non-violent drug offenses, poverty, and reasonable gun control reform (I think 21 should be the minimum age for firearm ownership, as well as the minimum age to join the military. There's a mountain of evidence that the pre-frontal cortex, which regulates impulse control, mood, and long term planning, isn't fully developed until 25).
    I bet if you eliminated the gun free zones like Chicago, Washington, New York etc.. that rank and percentage rate would change drastically. I agree with everything else you said, and I read a similar study that the brain isn't completely developed until 25 years of age and things like prescription drugs even Cannabis can stunt that growth. Those graphs are pretty old...I will try to find something more recent.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    If raising the age to buy a gun to 21 was all people wanted to do then we could probably get that done, wouldn’t help the gun crime rates by very much but it might make people feel better. The problem is that no one on the left would be satisfied with that. It has to do with phallic symbols and penis envy. Feminists and their cuck allies hate gun ownership in its entirety. They want the state to be the bull in the relationship.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Trumpistas circling the wagons for what reason tonight?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Sheriff Israel*said*Cruz was armed with an AR-15 rifle and “countless magazines.”

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...chool-shooting

No way.....not an AR-15 rifle that mows down people but isn't an assault rifle.

ing

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Dude's triggered.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The mental health angle is so ing weak

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Sheriff Israel*said*Cruz was armed with an AR-15 rifle and “countless magazines.”

No way.....not an AR-15 rifle that mows down people but isn't am assault rifle.

ing
    Imagine if the ar-15 had a silencer on it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine if the ar-15 had a silencer on it.
    Yeah. Imagine if he didn't have an ar-15

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kimmel writer quotes every GOP lawmaker’s post-Florida ‘thoughts and prayers’ tweet — and how much money they took from the NRA

Bess Kalb
    @bessbell

In the 2015-2016 election cycle alone, GOP candidates took $17,385,437 from the NRA. https://twitter.com/GOPChairwoman/status/963891127169572865 …

Bess Kalb

@bessbell

This is NOT counting the $21 million given to President Trump.
    6:24 PM - Feb 14, 2018

Congressman Ken Buck
    @RepKenBuck

I'm devastated to hear about the tragedy in Florida. Praying today for the students and all those impacted.
    3:40 PM - Feb 14, 2018

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/02/kim...e+Raw+Story%29

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Damn, Republicans everywhere triggered hard. Gorka even went a minute without saying "Obamagate."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I bet if you eliminated the gun free zones like Chicago, Washington, New York etc.. that rank and percentage rate would change drastically. I agree with everything else you said, and I read a similar study that the brain isn't completely developed until 25 years of age and things like prescription drugs even Cannabis can stunt that growth. Those graphs are pretty old...I will try to find something more recent.
    New York's murder rate at 3.4 is well below the national average of 4.8. Chicago's murder is indeed high at 18, but it's actually the lowest it's been since 1985 (was there strict gun control in Chicago in 1985)? Like I said, pointing to guns/gun control as the catalyst for the high murder rates or arming more citizens (legally) as the solution to curb said murder rate oversimplifies the issue. During Prohibition, Chicago's murder rate was 15, and I doubt there was anything resembling modern leftist gun control in the city at the time. As you can see, the one constant factor in any violence stricken city is the fight over the illegal drug trade (from Juarez, Mexico to Chicago, Ill.) , the 1980s crack epidemic turned urban LA into Beirut. Murder rate in LA has fallen drastically since crack is no longer the problem it once was.

So again, the solution is multifold. Better mental health treatment that address troubled individuals who might potentially act out and that addresses addiction (how many people are killed in robberies by desperate addicts? Also, less addicts=less consumers of illicit drugs=less market share to kill each other over). Drug criminalization reform. Poverty reform. And gun control reform. Someone like Stephen Paddock shouldn't have had access to an arsenal. I'm sure he was mentally stable when he collected most of those guns, but the brain is a fragile thing (especially when you reach an advanced age where dementia can strike), so that's why I think routine mental health checkups for gun owners makes sense.

Thread Information