Page 35 of 67 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Did they actually agree to anything or did they agree to agree to something later like North Korea?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Trump

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Day started off with a smoking gun tape that immediately became a nothingburger

Ended with another W from Big Dog

Must be hard

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Must be hard
    wait till they find out the 12 billion for our food corporations is coming from the Food Stamps Fund

You cant vote if you cant eat

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://news.sky.com/story/donald-tr...e-war-11448891

all very vague.

US-EU tariffs are to be reduced, zeroed?

when? how?

cars? metals? what else?

so just a lot of vague words

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    President Donald Trump reached an agreement Wednesday with European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker aimed at averting a transatlantic trade war, easing tensions stoked by Trump’s threat to impose tariffs on car imports.
    The two sides agreed to expand European imports of U.S. liquified natural gas and soybeans and lower industrial tariffs on both sides, Trump said. The U.S. and European Union will “hold off on other tariffs” while negotiations proceed, Juncker said.

“We had a big day, very big,” Trump said at a joint statement with Juncker at the White House Wednesday. He hailed “a new phase” of trade relations.
    The two leaders also said they would work toward “zero” tariffs on industrial goods, according to Trump. He added that they would try to “resolve” steel and aluminum tariffs he imposed earlier this year and retaliatory duties the EU levied in response.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://news.sky.com/story/donald-tr...e-war-11448891

all very vague.

US-EU tariffs are to be reduced, zeroed?

when? how?

cars? metals? what else?

so just a lot of vague words
    quick ask don lemon boutons

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    China is digging in tbqh

Their first comeback punch put our farmers on their knees

Im sure they have lots of options on their table.

Not to mention once they resort to currency devaluation next year given our economy will be soft next year the Shillary s so called armaggedon could actually happen

This is far from over and I dont see it being an “easy” win

We will have many casualties

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    EU just blinked you can relax now.
    Lol. To trump fanboys like snakeboy blinking is the EU returning to the same negotiating position they had with Obama. Big dog

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Must be hard
    Were you celebrating the t-tip when the Obama admin was negotiating it? Because what was announced today is basically saying the Trump admin is going to pick up right where Barry left off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Must be hard
    what is the sound of one muppet clapping. So desperate for a win, to talk about anything other than Kompromat, collusion, stolen children, and lost jobs. You guys crack me up.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    From 2016:
    E.U. soybean production on the upswing
    http://www.world-grain.com/articles/..._on_the_u.aspx

Dunno. This stuff is fungible, and there is a global market, with one dominant buyer. The Chinese will not cave on this, by my reading. They don't have to.
    Read one article, that I'm curious the search criteria you used to find it, is now well versed in global soybean demand. Hard rule of thumb has usually been, sell Soybeans, store corn. A sold bean is a good bean. There's lots of sayings but basically your playing with fire holding onto beans when South America hits harvest time. This whole tariff thing has been going on when North American beans seasonly don't matter.

But hey, you found an article man. Kudos.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    EU just blinked you can relax now.
    that's an over egged gloss.

while a suspension of escalation and a promise to talk more is no doubt for the good, EU tariffs on steel, aluminum remain, and tariiffs on autos are notably excluded.

Win for Juncker without having to concede anything but future talks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [vacuous troll attempt #234]
    yawn.

I would be more shocked at this point if you had anything intelligent to say. As much as you look down your nose at boots, you are at the same level, but lazier. He is, for all his faults, pretty industrious.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    your take on the Trump-Juncker summit, RG?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Read one article, that I'm curious the search criteria you used to find it, is now well versed in global soybean demand. Hard rule of thumb has usually been, sell Soybeans, store corn. A sold bean is a good bean. There's lots of sayings but basically your playing with fire holding onto beans when South America hits harvest time. This whole tariff thing has been going on when North American beans seasonly don't matter.

But hey, you found an article man. Kudos.
    I understand economics and trade, but not the specifics of any given market, and won't pretend to have any kind of particular expertise on any given commodity, other than energy, which I am pretty familiar with.

You would seem to be very well versed in this, so I would generally defer to your level of knowledge when it comes to grain trading.

So, assuming:
    Chinese continue to limit US purchases, if not outright stop buying
    EU promises probably won't make up differences (you tell me if this is a reasonable assumption, seems so, given market size and population)
    and continued lower overall demand for US soy,

what happens?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    your take on the Trump-Juncker summit, RG?
    About the same as yours. A vague promise of continued talks, that will likely yield SOMETHING positive over the long run.

My guess though, is that something will not happen in time to forestall further escalation. Trump's actions/words have infuriated just about every government/population in Europe, to make them less than willing to make deals. This implies more escalation with neither side willing to back down.

I anticipate boycotts of US products, akin to what is happening in Canada. This will lead to lower overall demand for US goods in general. This is based on past surveys that have noted a link between perception of the US and aggregate demand for US goods.

The EU may promise to import more soy, but the farming lobby in most EU countries is pretty strong, and they stand to directly benefit from increased sales to China. I consider any promise to import more to be a rather weak one. This makes the odds that any purchase will be a token, to placate Trump, so he has something to talk about with his base, who will almost undoubtedly over-hype any achievement.

Surveys of Chinese and EU consumers indicate that even beyond any tariffs imposed, they will begin to boycott US goods, with any imbalance in demand/supply being likely made up by increasing Chinese/EU trade.

This imbalance will not help US trade deficits. We will "win" reductions in tariffs, but lose overall, as the world shifts demand to non-US goods/services, and this shift will likely be more "sticky", i.e. permanent.

Overall the guardian had an analysis that jibes with everything else I have been reading.
    https://www.theguardian.com/business...talks-analysis

I think that people inclined to support Republicans are almost certainly underestimating the amount of animus being generated, and that will have some RL consequences. The US will tilt into a recession at some point, and the actions being taken now will likely make that worse.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    I understand economics and trade, but not the specifics of any given market, and won't pretend to have any kind of particular expertise on any given commodity, other than energy, which I am pretty familiar with.

You would seem to be very well versed in this, so I would generally defer to your level of knowledge when it comes to grain trading.

So, assuming:
    Chinese continue to limit US purchases, if not outright stop buying
    EU promises probably won't make up differences (you tell me if this is a reasonable assumption, seems so, given market size and population)
    and continued lower overall demand for US soy,

what happens?
    China still buys American Soybeans. Third party buyer. It's a s game. China NEEDS protein. Either from ethanol DDG'S or Soybeans. One of the reason China is pushing hard for ethanol (e-10 mandate coming on next year?) Is the DDGS.

China had a huge tariff on DDG that essentially shut imports down that got lifted last fall/this spring.

Keeping Soybeans off the global market for a few months would be a death sentence to China's trade negotiations IMO.

There isn't going to be lower overall demand for US Soybeans. It's who is the middle man that's going to change. Soybean exports have not been bad at all, and they will continue to do well.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    About the same as yours. A vague promise of continued talks, that will likely yield SOMETHING positive over the long run.

My guess though, is that something will not happen in time to forestall further escalation. Trump's actions/words have infuriated just about every government/population in Europe, to make them less than willing to make deals. This implies more escalation with neither side willing to back down.

I anticipate boycotts of US products, akin to what is happening in Canada. This will lead to lower overall demand for US goods in general. This is based on past surveys that have noted a link between perception of the US and aggregate demand for US goods.

The EU may promise to import more soy, but the farming lobby in most EU countries is pretty strong, and they stand to directly benefit from increased sales to China. I consider any promise to import more to be a rather weak one. This makes the odds that any purchase will be a token, to placate Trump, so he has something to talk about with his base, who will almost undoubtedly over-hype any achievement.

Surveys of Chinese and EU consumers indicate that even beyond any tariffs imposed, they will begin to boycott US goods, with any imbalance in demand/supply being likely made up by increasing Chinese/EU trade.

This imbalance will not help US trade deficits. We will "win" reductions in tariffs, but lose overall, as the world shifts demand to non-US goods/services, and this shift will likely be more "sticky", i.e. permanent.

Overall the guardian had an analysis that jibes with everything else I have been reading.
    https://www.theguardian.com/business...talks-analysis

I think that people inclined to support Republicans are almost certainly underestimating the amount of animus being generated, and that will have some RL consequences. The US will tilt into a recession at some point, and the actions being taken now will likely make that worse.
    Agricultural products aren't like the that we import from China. There is always a finite amount every year. It's the reason that every country trys to have a strong govt farm program. You can't just fire up the boilers and run the factory 24/7. US soybeans are not going to be unsold or go bad, although that seems to be the sentiment.

Let's pretend your scenario plays out. World leaders black list Trump until he's out of office. New president would LIKELY have the rest of the world eager to make deals. Good cop/bad cop scenario, right?

Same end result.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This getting good.

:popcorn

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lou Dobbs is as far gone mentally as Trash

Kock Bros spending $100Ms to defend / elect Congress people who will do nothing, say nothing about Trash whom the Kock Bros supposedly disagree with.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 07-29-2018 at 08:14 PM.

Thread Information