Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The early victims of Trump's trade war

Cars and motorbikes

Food and drink

Other victims

Toymaker Hasbro is moving more production out of China, US conglomerate Honeywell wants to use more supply chain sources from countries outside China and home furnishing company RH expects to cut the amount of goods sourced from China

US equipment maker Caterpillar recently said strong demand had allowed it to hike prices to offset $100m-$200m in higher steel and aluminium costs.

The International Monetary Fund says an escalation of the -for-tat tariffs could shave 0.5% off global growth by 2020.

Separate releases recently showed growth in
    China's manufacturing sector slowing in July and

one measure of US consumer sentiment falling due to tariff concerns,

Morgan Stanley estimates that a full-blown escalation of the trade dispute could knock 0.81 percentage points off global gross domestic product.

This scenario would involve the US slapping 25% tariffs on all goods from both China and the EU, and them responding with similar measures.

The bank said most of the effect from tariff hikes on growth would probably be seen only in 2019.

Most of the impact - or almost 80% - would come through a disruption of domestic and international supply chains, the bank added.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45028014

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    sorry, that relates how?
    Clearly you didn't read the article he linked. You should have related it without reading it anyhow.......

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Coolness. Let us know how it goes.
    Didn't get the contract. Rats. I was really looking forward to the inside perspective on the tarriff tiff.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clearly you didn't read the article he linked. You should have related it without reading it anyhow.......
    Disagree. Relating China's market capitalization to DJT's trade policies assumes evidence not shown in the article.

How are the two related in your mind?

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    Disagree. Relating China's market capitalization to DJT's trade policies assumes evidence not shown in the article.

How are the two related in your mind?
    The article talks about the trade war being the cause of the slippage. You can spout off all you want about the accuracy of the article but you sound silly trying to discredit his posting the link based off of validation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the article doesn't provide any linkage, but just posits one by fiat.

you can't provide one, and neither apparently can TSA, but somehow I am the one who looks silly...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why y'all should swallow anything MSN says uncritically escapes...oh, right...they said something that can be construed as approval of DJT, so now we can just take their word for it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    behind the pose of rationality, pure boosterism.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CalPERS sold at the bottom of the market and lost 500 mil:

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    the article doesn't provide any linkage, but just posits one by fiat.

you can't provide one, and neither apparently can TSA, but somehow I am the one who looks silly...
    Why would I be providing any sort of link? You trying to get me involved in this shows how off base you are.

Again, call out the source instead of saying there article is unrelated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you're talking out your hat, just like the article. there's no refutation for hot air.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nucor and US Steel are blocking tariff relief for hundreds of US companies. One wonders whether the creation of monopoly power wasn't an intended effect.

WHITNEY CURTIS/GETTY

Two major steel firms with ties to the Trump administration have successfully blocked hundreds of requests from American companies to exempt themselves from President Trump’s massive tariffs, according to a Sunday report from the New York Times. The exemption process, the Times notes, was created to help domestic businesses survive under the crushing 25 percent steel tariff, which was put into place this March. Companies could apply for the exemption if they needed a product that wasn’t otherwise available in the United States—but American steel producers were also permitted to object. Since May, more than 20,000 applications have been submitted. The Times adds that Nucor and United States Steel, both of which have ties to the administration, have objected to more than 1,600 such applications in recent months and have not yet failed in their efforts

https://www.thedailybeast.com/major-...mptions-report

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    you're talking out your hat, just like the article. there's no refutation for hot air.
    I'm proud of you. You finally called out the article based on it's facts instead of it's relevance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what facts?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if there no facts are given tying the two things together, the relevance vanishes.

you're not as smart as you look.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    supposing for a moment the linkage is bona fide: if tariffs are hurting our largest export market, how will that fix the trade imbalance?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sorry, that relates how?
    Delicious red herring sandwhich.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love how bald assertions become "fact based" the moment any recognizable media outlet publishes them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    correlation in time or sequence isn't causation, but people never get tired of saying so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What can be asserted with no evidence, can be dismissed with no evidence.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump-aligned steel giants block hundreds of other American firms from tariff relief

the American manufacturers benefitting the most from Donald Trump's tariffs on steel and aluminum imports have deep ties to the Trump administration.

Even as the administration set up a system designed to lessen the impact of the tariffs on companies that use imported metal,

American steel giants close to top Trump advisers like Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross and trade adviser Peter Navarro have dominated the process.

The New York Times
    writes:

As the head of a private equity fund, Mr. Ross bought and operated several steel companies, which he later sold at a profit, and he sat on a steel company’s board of directors until his confirmation.

The United States trade representative, Robert Lighthizer,
    represented United States Steel and other steel manufacturers in private practice as a lawyer, and

so did his deputy, Jeffrey Gerrish.

Nucor spent $1 million
    to fund a do entary, “Death by China,” made by Peter Navarro, a Trump trade adviser, in 2011.

As luck would have it,

Nucor and United States Steel have unilaterally blocked the exemptions that many American companies like automakers and farm equipment manufacturers have sought.

To date, Nucor and United States Steel together have objected to 1,600 exemption requests and, of those that have been decided,

the two steel manufacturing behemoths have won every time.

Overall, American companies that use imported steel have filed for some 20,000 tariff exemptions and, by the end of July, the Commerce Department had rejected 639 of those.

Half of those denials came in cases where

United States Steel, Nucor or a third large steel maker, AK Steel Holding Corporation,

filed an objection, a New York Times analysis shows.

“This process was not designed to be successfully navigated” by manufacturers seeking exclusions, said Richard Chriss,

the president of the American Ins ute for International Steel,

which has
    sued to block the tariffs on cons utional grounds.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/8/6/1786299/-Trump-aligned-steel-giants-block-hundreds-of-other-American-firms-from-tariff-relief

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

'Tariffs Feed the Swamp': Wall Street Journal Issues Scathing Editorial Against Trump's Latest Recipe for 'Crony Capitalism and Corruption'

Trump has somehow given the Wall Street Journal editorial board and Paul Krugman something to agree about.

"Tariffs are taxes, which distort investment and limit growth," the editorial said in the piece.

"And like taxes, when tariffs are high they create a political incentive for exemptions and favoritism.

Behold the Commerce Department’s new and tortuous process for reviewing exemptions to steel and aluminum tariffs.

This is everything Republicans typically claim to hate."

"This is the worst thing about Trump trade policy I've read yet,"

tweeted liberal economist Paul Krugman, in rare agreement with the Journal's editorial board.

"Tariffs are one thing;

tariffs that are enforced selectively,

at the discretion of political appointees,

are much worse --

an open invitation to corruption."

the result is that tens of thousands of applications have been filed with the Commerce Department, to be reviewed by non-experts in the relevant fields.

And while the applications are supposed to be settled within three months, companies have already seen that deadline come and go with no response.

"This Commerce mess

illustrates that in addition to the harm tariffs do economically,

they also create new opportunities for crony capitalism and corruption.

Far from draining the swamp, tariffs feed the swamp," the board writes.

https://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/tariffs-feed-swamp-wall-street-journal-issues-scathing-editorial-against-trumps

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unrelated to tariffs I am seeing serious wage acceleration in skilled trades. You guys will need to get used to $100+ an hour for a average skilled plumber or AC guy to come to your house.
    i wouldnt mind paying that for services if i lived in a market where good houses can be had for 250k

Thread Information