Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FDA Approves Weight Loss Drug Qsymia

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved the diet drug Qsymia, the agency's latest move to give doctors and their patients more tools to fight excessive weight gain as obesity rates continue to bulge in the U.S. and around the world....
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/fda-app...ry?id=16797062
    Was dissapproved 2 years ago due to cardiac risk, impaired cognitive function, and birth defects but I guess now the FDA has realized that fat america would rather take these risks instead of eating healthy & exercising.

I find it pathetic that people will gobble these pills up but that didn't stop me from loading up on stock just before the decision. Tomorrow should be a great day for me.

above average height mavs>spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    probably kills your kidney and liver too

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

^ only good part of GTA4

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Well, I saw something in the news today. If it's the same thing I read about, the pill is a combination of two ingredients known of for years. One is an appe e suppressant, and the other makes the food you eat more satisfying. If I recall, it had an average 12+% fat loss over a years time.

Thing is. people don't always eat because of hunger or lack of satisfying food. For them it's an empty promise.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Well, I saw something in the news today. If it's the same thing I read about, the pill is a combination of two ingredients known of for years. One is an appe e suppressant, and the other makes the food you eat more satisfying. If I recall, it had an average 12+% fat loss over a years time.

Thing is, people don't always eat because of hunger or lack of satisfying food. For them it's an empty promise.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah it's a combo drug, from the article...

Qsymia is a combination of two FDA-approved drugs: phentermine, a stimulant related to the amphetamines that suppresses the appe e, and topiramate, a drug used to treat migraines and epilepsy that has weight-loss side effects

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meth will be cheaper.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Meth will be cheaper.
    LOL...

Wouldn't it be funny if meth had fewer side effects?

above average height mavs>spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I'd stay away from the poison guys

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/14/us/14florida.html

Legal Drugs Kill Far More Than Illegal, Florida Says
    TWITTER
    LINKEDIN
    SIGN IN TO E-MAIL OR SAVE THIS
    PRINT
    REPRINTS

By DAMIEN CAVE
    Published: June 14, 2008
    MIAMI — From “Scarface” to “Miami Vice,” Florida’s drug problem has been portrayed as the story of a single narcotic: cocaine. But for Floridians, prescription drugs are increasingly a far more lethal habit.

An analysis of autopsies in 2007 released this week by the Florida Medical Examiners Commission found that the rate of deaths caused by prescription drugs was three times the rate of deaths caused by all illicit drugs combined.

Law enforcement officials said that the shift toward prescription-drug abuse, which began here about eight years ago, showed no sign of letting up and that the state must do more to control it.

“You have health care providers involved, you have doctor shoppers, and then there are crimes like robbing drug shipments,” said Jeff Beasley, a drug intelligence inspector for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, which co-sponsored the study. “There is a mul ude of ways to get these drugs, and that’s what makes things complicated.”

The report’s findings track with similar studies by the federal Drug Enforcement Administration, which has found that roughly seven million Americans are abusing prescription drugs. If accurate, that would be an increase of 80 percent in six years and more than the total abusing cocaine, heroin, hallucinogens, Ecstasy and inhalants.

The Florida report analyzed 168,900 deaths statewide. Cocaine, heroin and all methamphetamines caused 989 deaths, it found, while legal opioids — strong painkillers in brand-name drugs like Vicodin and OxyContin — caused 2,328.

Drugs with benzodiazepine, mainly depressants like Valium and Xanax, led to 743 deaths. Alcohol was the most commonly occurring drug, appearing in the bodies of 4,179 of the dead and judged the cause of death of 466 — fewer than cocaine (843) but more than methamphetamine (25) and marijuana (0).

The study also found that while the number of people who died with heroin in their bodies increased 14 percent in 2007, to 110, deaths related to the opioid oxycodone increased 36 percent, to 1,253.

Florida scrutinizes drug-related deaths more closely than do other states, and so there is little basis for comparison with them.

It has also witnessed several highly publicized cases in recent years that have highlighted the problem. Only last year, an accidental prescription drug overdose killed Anna Nicole Smith in Broward County.

Still, the state has lagged in enforcement. Thirty-eight other states have approved prescription drug monitoring programs that track sales. Florida lawmakers have repeatedly considered similar legislation, but privacy concerns have kept it from passing.

As a result, federal, state and local law enforcement officials say, Florida has become a source of prescription drugs that are illegally sold across the country.

“The monitoring plan is our priority effort, but that is not enough,” William H. Janes, the Florida director of drug control, said in a statement accompanying the study. He said Florida was also looking at ways to curb illegal Internet sales and to encourage doctors and pharmacists to identify potential abusers.

Some local police departments have taken a more novel approach.

In Broward County on May 31, deputies completed a “drug takeback” in which $5 Wal-Mart, CVS or Walgreens gift cards were distributed to 150 people who cleaned out their medicine cabinets and turned in unused drugs in an effort to keep them out of young people’s hands.

“The abuse has reached epidemic proportions,” said Lisa McElhaney, a sergeant in the pharmaceutical drug diversion unit of the Broward County Sheriff’s Office. “It’s just explosive.”

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    America has been convinced, hypnotized by BigPharma's and BigFood's $100B+/year marketing that taking their solves problems. It's nothing but old timey 19th century snake oil.

As with BigFood, it's all about YOUR Benjamins, $B of them, getting into their pockets, not about your health. BigFood makes you sick and BigPharma doesn't make you unsick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thats what the pharmacutical lobby gets you.

2nd Verse Same as the 1st Oh, Gee!!'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    here's a wonder drug: eat nutritional meals, exercise 4 to 5 times a week, get 7 to 8 hours of sleep a night, and use alcohol in moderation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    here's a wonder drug: eat nutritional meals, exercise 4 to 5 times a week, get 7 to 8 hours of sleep a night, and use alcohol in moderation.
    I don't do any of that...(well I don't drink very much any more) and yesterday I just officially crossed the threshold from obese to merely overweight (according to the BMI index) though I am pretty sure that I would not have been considered obese even 10 lbs ago since I have a wide frame.

Edit: To be fair I almost do all of that. I eat whatever I want (as long as I stay under 2k calories), ride bike 2-3 times a week, and get 5-6 hours of sleep. LOL, I am just being a .
    Last edited by Drachen; 07-18-2012 at 09:53 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't do any of that...(well I don't drink very much any more) and yesterday I just officially crossed the threshold from obese to merely overweight (according to the BMI index) though I am pretty sure that I would not have been considered obese even 10 lbs ago since I have a wide frame.

Edit: To be fair I almost do all of that. I eat whatever I want (as long as I stay under 2k calories), ride bike 2-3 times a week, and get 5-6 hours of sleep. LOL, I am just being a .
    cheers on the weight loss and exercise. jeers on the being a .

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well, that is part of the reason that my weight said obese, but my body didn't look it.

BAZING!

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    *rimshot*

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    cheers on the weight loss and exercise. jeers on the being a .
    Thank you, and Thank you. 35 lbs in 4 months (had a two week plateau in there). I am now 5'10" 208. I have 28 more lbs to go to reach my goal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    good. everybody should strive to be healthy, not necessarily perfect-looking, just healthy and active.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't believe BMI is still considered valid even though it is wildly inaccurate if you have any significant amount of muscle mass.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    good. everybody should strive to be healthy, not necessarily perfect-looking, just healthy and active.
    and a .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    mavericks fans have that part covered by virtue of being mavs fans

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't believe BMI is still considered valid even though it is wildly inaccurate if you have any significant amount of muscle mass.
    Almost nobody has "significant muscle mass".

The other myth I hear from fat ladies is they have "big bones".

(no, silly lady, you're fat because you eat too much, eat badly)

BMI is not precise, but "wildly inaccurate" due to the above two items isn't why.

BMI is useful because it's generally "good enough"

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    mavericks fans have that part covered by virtue of being mavs fans

Billy Bob
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    America has been convinced, hypnotized by BigPharma's and BigFood's $100B+/year marketing that taking their solves problems. It's nothing but old timey 19th century snake oil.

As with BigFood, it's all about YOUR Benjamins, $B of them, getting into their pockets, not about your health. BigFood makes you sick and BigPharma doesn't make you unsick.
    The only way to lose weight and get into shape is to diet and exercise. The whole works! Diet, Cardio, weight lifting. in that order!

Thread Information