Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The Golden Goddess TheCultOfPersonality's Avatar
    My Team
    Ole Miss Rebels
    Post Count
    These traps that Virginia is using aren't working.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Lyles was a beast

My Team
    Ole Miss Rebels
    Post Count
    Virginia
    Blown out by a 16 seed
    Struggling to get to 50 points against a 16 seed
    Those ty traps

you're a phony Holden_Caulfield's Avatar
    My Team
    Cal Bears
    Post Count
    Lol Virginia #1 overall seed

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Boise State Broncos
    Post Count
    March Madness > the NBA playoffs, forever. Too bad regular season college basketball is so ty by comparison.

Post Count
    ACC is always overseeded. Always. Tony Bennett can't coach his way out of a paper bag once in the tournament.

My Team
    Ole Miss Rebels
    Post Count
    The worst part for Virginia is this wasn't even a choke. UMBC was just simply the far superior team.

Post Count
    Wahoowahahaha

My Team
    Arizona State Sun Devils
    Post Count
    I had Virginia losing to Kansas State yet I was still giving them too much credit

My Team
    Boise State Broncos
    Post Count
    I guess I'm the only one who feels bad for Virginia. Tony Bennett is a class act. Pitino or Rat Face deserved this, not him.

Post Count
    It makes more sense that it would happen to a team like Virginia or Villanova as a 1 seed rather than a Duke or Kentucky. Duke and Kentucky as a 1 seed generally would have multiple five star NBA lottery type players. Virginia and Villanova have had success in part because they keep kids 3-4 years, develop three star kids into really good college players within a system. But the difference in talent between a 1 and 16 might not be quite as mammoth. Still really surprising but the Virginia, Villanova, Xavier 1 seeds talent wise would appear to be as fragile as any for this type of upset.

It would have been so much sweeter had it happened to Ratface or Calipari.

My Team
    Maryland Terrapins
    Post Count
    Disastrous first round for me (took a lot of upset chances that didn't pan out), but at the end of the day I still have 6/8 Elite 8 teams and 3/4 Final Four ones--including both NCG opponents. The Virginia loss is only crippling for those who had UVA winning it all. Other than that I'm guessing it screwed the majority of bettors equally

My Team
    Maryland Terrapins
    Post Count
    I got North Carolina over Duke, 82-76. Final Four is NC, Duke, Virginia, and Texas Tech.
    I had UVA, Villanova, UNC, and finally Sparty to win it all.

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    It makes more sense that it would happen to a team like Virginia or Villanova as a 1 seed rather than a Duke or Kentucky. Duke and Kentucky as a 1 seed generally would have multiple five star NBA lottery type players. Virginia and Villanova have had success in part because they keep kids 3-4 years, develop three star kids into really good college players within a system. But the difference in talent between a 1 and 16 might not be quite as mammoth. Still really surprising but the Virginia, Villanova, Xavier 1 seeds talent wise would appear to be as fragile as any for this type of upset.It would have been so much sweeter had it happened to Ratface or Calipari.
    yeah I definitely agree with all of this. You knew it would happen some time, and I figured it would be a team like Wichita State or Gonzaga who cruised through a weak conference with only 2 or 3 losses overall. Like you said, they also would have a roster full of decent upperclassmen, who are just well coached and have a good system. There's an enormous amount of pressure on the 1 seed. I can't think of anything in college or pro sports that's talked about as a greater situational upset, and they bring it up every year. The bottom line was that somebody was just going to choke and try to do too much in a situation where the 16 seed still has a small lead late in the 2nd half. Somebody in the UVA press conference basically admitted that, and said when they were down 5 they were trying to make home run plays so they wouldn't make history. It's just a lot harder to choke when you're Duke/Kentucky and you have players like Anthony Davis, Demarcus Cousins, or Jahlil Okafor who the other team physically can't match up against.

My Team
    Boise State Broncos
    Post Count
    I'd say it's the system more than the players in Virginia's case. They just play way too slow, which keeps inferior opponents in games and makes it far more difficult for them to keep up when an opponent has a hot shooting night.

My Team
    Ole Miss Rebels
    Post Count
    Houston choking at the line came back to haunt them. A Michigan prayer gets answered.

Post Count
    Crazy game. Crazy ending. Houston dominated the game from a physical standpoint but never built much of a lead. Surprised they didn’t put some pressure on the inbounder. A deflection or off target pass, the game's over.

My Team
    Boise State Broncos
    Post Count
    Houston gave us all a preview of what the Rockets are about to do in the playoffs, tbh.

My Team
    Mississippi State Bulldogs
    Post Count
    March Madness > the NBA playoffs, forever. Too bad regular season college basketball is so ty by comparison.
    March Madness is a weird tournament. It's the only sporting event I can think of that continually gets worse the further it goes along.

First 2 days are phenomenal. Then a steady decline all the way to the Nat'l Championship.

There is nothing like looking at the top of the TV and saying to yourself, "Well that's a close game with 2 minutes to go. I think I'll flip the channel over to that game." You don't even care what the two teams playing are.

My Team
    Ole Miss Rebels
    Post Count
    Ball looked like it was off of Michigan State.

My Team
    Ole Miss Rebels
    Post Count
    Didn't matter anyway, Michigan State still sucks

My Team
    Ole Miss Rebels
    Post Count
    Battle just choked.

My Team
    Ole Miss Rebels
    Post Count
    So Michigan State ended the game missing 14 straight shots. Possibly the biggest choke in the tournament.

My Team
    Arizona State Sun Devils
    Post Count
    Fun game

Post Count
    March Madness is a weird tournament. It's the only sporting event I can think of that continually gets worse the further it goes along.

First 2 days are phenomenal. Then a steady decline all the way to the Nat'l Championship.

There is nothing like looking at the top of the TV and saying to yourself, "Well that's a close game with 2 minutes to go. I think I'll flip the channel over to that game." You don't even care what the two teams playing are.
    I think basically the selection committee sucks at seeding teams. They seed at least one conference higher every year than they should, and take other teams that they shouldn't. The first days are thrilling because of upsets, but the upsets come as much because the committee sucks at what they do. It's partially an illusion, partially suckiness.

Thread Information