San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a lot of sherlocks with incredible theories here
    Thanks for clearing this up

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not giving a Super Max offer to anyone who hasn’t played a whole freaking year. To me his injury sounds chronic and if he does play how many games can you count on him to play before it flares up and then he misses time or season. games?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Before Pop kissed and made up with LaMarcus. That happened for a reason. I think they knew at that point that there were serious problems, and that they needed LMA to carry the team this year. This is all based on observations, but it makes sense. Why else go from dumping LMA to apologizing to him in a span of a couple of weeks?

A lot of people don’t know that the Spurs and the other three former ABA franchises only receive 6/7ths of the TV contract revenue that the other 26 teams get. The other 1/7th from each team goes to the former owners of the StL Spirits as consideration for them folding their franchise and not pursuing entry into the NBA. When that deal was signed, TV money wasn’t much. The league wasn’t popular at all. The NBA Finals were shown tape delayed. As the TV contract has grown bigger and bigger, so has the gap between what SA makes, and those other 26 teams make. That’s why they can’t afford Kawhi SuperMax deal, when a franchise like Sacto gives one to DMC. It makes our 20 year run of excellence even more amazing. We did it with essentially one hand tied behind our backs.
    What do you mean that the former ABA teams only get 6/7ths of the league revenue? You mean the other 26 teams get the fulll amount, but the 3 former ABA teams are paying 1/7th of their revenue to the STL Spirits?

Thanks for also saying when you thought the Spurs may have told Kawhi they can't afford the Supermax. I know it's all conjecture, but it's still a possible theory.
    Last edited by Ice009; 03-30-2018 at 10:25 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi has shown that he is not a franchise player, not a good one anyway. He's a top five player in the league, but a franchise player is one who sets the tone for your entire organization. He shows up to practice, or he's on the bench during games consistently when he's injured, he goes to team meetings/film, he communicates with teammates, and he doesn't let the team become distracted by his bull . If that means fielding questions from the media, that's what it takes. This guy has ghosted the team, according to Tony and Manu, two cornerstones of the franchise who have the team first in mind. They gave everything to the organization so if you're going to trust anyone's word on it, it would be theirs. Just trade him and be done with it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is no way in we told our best player, a duperstar and top 5 player in the league when healthy, that we can’t afford to give him a supermax. That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. We’re not the Kings. Spurs aren’t that stupif

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is no way in we told our best player, a duperstar and top 5 player in the league when healthy, that we can’t afford to give him a supermax. That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. We’re not the Kings. Spurs aren’t that stupif
    this i agree with haha

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Before Pop kissed and made up with LaMarcus. That happened for a reason. I think they knew at that point that there were serious problems, and that they needed LMA to carry the team this year. This is all based on observations, but it makes sense. Why else go from dumping LMA to apologizing to him in a span of a couple of weeks?

A lot of people don’t know that the Spurs and the other three former ABA franchises only receive 6/7ths of the TV contract revenue that the other 26 teams get. The other 1/7th from each team goes to the former owners of the StL Spirits as consideration for them folding their franchise and not pursuing entry into the NBA. When that deal was signed, TV money wasn’t much. The league wasn’t popular at all. The NBA Finals were shown tape delayed. As the TV contract has grown bigger and bigger, so has the gap between what SA makes, and those other 26 teams make. That’s why they can’t afford Kawhi SuperMax deal, when a franchise like Sacto gives one to DMC. It makes our 20 year run of excellence even more amazing. We did it with essentially one hand tied behind our backs.
    I did some research and found out the NBA in 2014 reached a deal with the Silnas family the former owners of the Spirit franchise in which they paid them a lump sum of 500 million dollars to end the original deal they had with the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I did some research and found out the NBA in 2014 reached a deal with the Silnas family the former owners of the Spirit franchise in which they paid them a lump sum of 500 million dollars to end the original deal they had with the NBA.
    Thanks for the find.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow. That is a big chuck of change that they received. What was the reason for the deal in the first place? Why did they have to reach a deal with them? Did the NBA and other ABA teams not want them in the NBA?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow. That is a big chuck of change that they received. What was the reason for the deal in the first place? Why did they have to reach a deal with them? Did the NBA and other ABA teams not want them in the NBA?
    From what I have read back in 1976 the ABA only had 6 remaining ABA franchises. The NBA decided that they were only going to allow 4 out of the 6 franchises to enter the NBA which were the Spurs,Pacers,Nets,Nuggets. The NBA reached a settlement with the owner of the Kentucky Colonels to shut down his team which was a settlement of 3.3 million. To shut down the other franchise which was the Spirit the NBA negotiating a deal with the Silna family in which they would get 1/7 of the TV revenue of 4 former ABA franchises. From what I have read the NBA figured back then the TV money would never be a great and actually thought they had ripped off the Silna family instead of having to pay them millions. I have also read the last several years the Silna family started suing the NBA for hundreds of millions dollars because they felt they should get revenue money from league pass subscriptions and streaming video. That was the final straw and what caused the NBA to reach a settlement with the Silna family outside of court.

What I found interesting was in 1982 the NBA tried to reach a settlement with this family for 5 million dollars but the family wanted 8 million so the NBA ended negotiations. It's insane thinking that the NBA could have ended this problem 30 some years earlier just for 8 million versus having to pay 500 million today.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From what I have read back in 1976 the ABA only had 6 remaining ABA franchises. The NBA decided that they were only going to allow 4 out of the 6 franchises to enter the NBA which were the Spurs,Pacers,Nets,Nuggets. The NBA reached a settlement with the owner of the Kentucky Colonels to shut down his team which was a settlement of 3.3 million. To shut down the other franchise which was the Spirit the NBA negotiating a deal with the Silna family in which they would get 1/7 of the TV revenue of 4 former ABA franchises. From what I have read the NBA figured back then the TV money would never be a great and actually thought they had ripped off the Silna family instead of having to pay them millions. I have also read the last several years the Silna family started suing the NBA for hundreds of millions dollars because they felt they should get revenue money from league pass subscriptions and streaming video. That was the final straw and what caused the NBA to reach a settlement with the Silna family outside of court.

What I found interesting was in 1982 the NBA tried to reach a settlement with this family for 5 million dollars but the family wanted 8 million so the NBA ended negotiations. It's insane thinking that the NBA could have ended this problem 30 some years earlier just for 8 million versus having to pay 500 million today.
    That's very interesting. Thanks for posting it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do you mean that the former ABA teams only get 6/7ths of the league revenue? You mean the other 26 teams get the fulll amount, but the 3 former ABA teams are paying 1/7th of their revenue to the STL Spirits?

Thanks for also saying when you thought the Spurs may have told Kawhi they can't afford the Supermax. I know it's all conjecture, but it's still a possible theory.
    All four former ABA teams, SA, IND, DEN, and BKN, get only 6/7 of the television money that the other 26 teams get. That other 1/7 from each of the four teams goes to the family that owned the Spirits.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s not over. Oh, and that $500M came from the four former ABA franchises, not the league. Think that didn’t put a bite on the Spurs cash flow?

In January 2014, a conditional settlement agreement between the NBA, the former ABA clubs and the Silnas was announced.[24][14][25] As part of the deal, the Silnas are reported to be receiving a $500 million upfront payment from the former ABA teams.[21][13] In return, the former ABA teams will get majority stake in the Spirits of St. Louis Basketball Club, L.P., which will retain control of a portion of the TV revenue streams of the former ABA teams, with the option to purchase the remaining stake held by the Silnas in the future.[24][26][21][19] Also, the Silnas will drop their litigation against the league seeking a share of additional media revenue streams, with the NBA agreeing to grant some of the disputed funds to the Spirits.[25][24][21] The deal must still receive court approval.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly my thinking when they re signed LMA...and that strange board with LMA that appeared in SA. The insight on the Spurs not being able to afford the Supermax is quite logical as a step into what ended up happening...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs will offer the supermax to Kawhi. I don’t like what Kawhi did, but the guy is the best 2-way player in the league, top 5 player. That doesn’t happen everyday especially in a small market like San Antonio. Pops and RC will put their acts together to protect anymore damage and sign his extension come summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Profiling at its finest. I’m glad your girl is not a cop.
    Me too.

However, I would say that police' racial profiling is worse...

You give some ideas...I'd like to see her in a sexy cop custome

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's very interesting. Thanks for posting it.
    Agree. Very interesting. I ignore what exstatic and daslicer posted about former ABA teams and the former/current deals. Thanks!

My Girl's a Hooper keithington1's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm gonna lose a little respect for Kawhi if he doesn't play for the rest of the season. His family mainly. He/ They did all of this for the supermax. Maybe it's his family in his ear trying to secure wealth for the whole family. No way is leg is that bad. Still love Kawhi tho, and he belongs in a Spurs jersey for life.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They shouldn't reward a player that sat out the entire season with the supermax, just offer the regular max , if he doesn't take it just trade him next season. Kawhi averaged 70 games/season before this one, he was never that healthy to begin with, things will only get worse as he ages.

There's some Brandon Roy vibes tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm gonna lose a little respect for Kawhi if he doesn't play for the rest of the season. His family mainly. He/ They did all of this for the supermax. Maybe it's his family in his ear trying to secure wealth for the whole family. No way is leg is that bad. Still love Kawhi tho, and he belongs in a Spurs jersey for life.
    how old are u? u realize this makes no sense, right? actually playing pretty much secures the supermax...how could he POSSIBLY be sitting out an entire year, to get the supermax? that actually lowers his value...smh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Kawhi doesn't want to end up like IT. I don't know about you but I'm sure the Spurs will offer him the supermax. Why play hardball and lose your superstar? I don't think Kawhi is that hurt but is wary of what happened to TP. Let's just say MJ would be playing if he had the same injury. To me it's a little weak but he is still my favorite player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KL is still hurting. The Spurs know this, even if if the Spurs medical team has "cleared him to play." At no point have we heard KL/camp ask to be traded or PATFO looking to trade him. If KL was just "faking it" because he wants off the Spurs--the Spurs would have accommodated his request prior to the trade deadline.

Bottom line: KL is not playing because he's hurt and not because he wants off the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Kawhi doesn't want to end up like IT. I don't know about you but I'm sure the Spurs will offer him the supermax. Why play hardball and lose your superstar? I don't think Kawhi is that hurt but is wary of what happened to TP. Let's just say MJ would be playing if he had the same injury. To me it's a little weak but he is still my favorite player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KL is still hurting. The Spurs know this, even if if the Spurs medical team has "cleared him to play." At no point have we heard KL/camp ask to be traded or PATFO looking to trade him. If KL was just "faking it" because he wants off the Spurs--the Spurs would have accommodated his request prior to the trade deadline.

Bottom line: KL is not playing because he's hurt and not because he wants off the team.
    my theory is Kawhi is not hurt enough to miss the playoffs. His family is being cautious so that they can secure the supermax.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KL is playing the Spurs & has been for a while IMO. That team meeting was a statement—by the whole organization, not just TP & Manu. Those guys have been sacrificing money to win their entire careers. Also, IMO anything coming out in the news that says otherwise is Kawhi’s team trying shed it in a different light/damage control.

Pop def didn’t see this coming w/ KL. To be fair, not sure how much of it is him or his “team”/uncle.

I think it’s RIDICULOUS how mistrusting KL/his team are of the Spurs though. The Spurs’ bread & butter has been taking guys that were/are looked over & giving them careers/lives they wouldn’t have otherwise had. In almost every way it’s been a very pro-player organization. The list is too long, & it also includes Kawhi. Anybody honestly think Kawhi is where he’s at if he got drafted by another team? NO.

Just looking at it from the outside, I think it’s unfortunate he got his uncle to be his agent. I think there’s a reason a lot of players stick w/ agents. It’s one thing to seek out advice from family members, another to basically give them the reigns to your career. KL obviously has a close relationship to his uncle, not going to go there.

But it’s apparent that KL is highly mistrusting of an organization that treats its players very well. And has been for a while.

At this point I wouldn’t mind if he left. Tired of this bull . Been watching the Spurs for 20 years. Watch them be overly cautious bringing players back from injury. Sitting players out as a preventative measure. Watch them take FINE WORTHY measures to protect their players’ health. Even to the chagrin of many fans.

Then “Oh, I want a second opinion.” Then they clear him too & he’s still sitting games out. & he ain’t even on the bench to support the guys playing.

this guy. GTFO already & don’t let the door hit your pussy on the way out.

Thread Information