Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pension plans have been ing california in the ass and continue to be a huge albatross
    private and govt pensions for 10Ms of people have or will be proven to be a huge scam, with the pension providers having already and will be violating the pension contracts, terms without penalty.

now if a Human-American violated a contract, watch the law come down on him like a ton of bricks, up to and beyond death (college loans).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd rather be homeless in Hawaii than have a $35k a year job and home in Mississippi tbh.
    This.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't speak for Mississippi because I don't know much about the state tbh therefore I cant condemn it.
    Not knowing never stopped you before.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL, my bad. $1.6 Billion
    1.6Bn with a good chunk put in a reserve fund. State's balance sheet better off.

California is doing exactly what it should when economic times are good. Hopefully it keeps it up, because budget shortfalls make everything else worse, as the state has discovered.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Moreover to his "red state policies are failing" nonsense, 13 of the 15 most fiscally struggling states are...*GASP*...blue states.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Moreover to his "red state policies are failing" nonsense, 13 of the 15 most fiscally struggling states are...*GASP*...blue states.
    Inside a Private Prison: Blood, Suicide and Poorly Paid Guards
    JACKSON, Miss. — On the witness stand and under pressure, Frank Shaw, the warden of the East Mississippi Correctional Facility, could not guarantee that the prison was capable of performing its most basic function.

Asked if the guards were supposed to keep inmates in their cells, he said, wearily, “They do their best.”

According to evidence and testimony at a federal civil rights trial, far worse things were happening at the prison than inmates strolling around during a lockdown: A mentally ill man on suicide watch hanged himself, gang members were allowed to beat other prisoners, and those whose cries for medical attention were ignored resorted to setting fires in their cells.

So many shackled men have recounted instances of extraordinary violence and neglect in the prison that the judge has complained of exhaustion.

The case, which has received little attention beyond the local news media, provides a rare glimpse into the cloistered world of privately operated prisons, at a time when the number of state inmates in private facilities is increasing and the Trump administration has indicated that it will expand their use.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/03/u...son-abuse.html

Red states that have led in privatized prisons have become inhuman holes.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd rather be homeless in Hawaii than have a $35k a year job and home in Mississippi tbh.
    If you mean a home that's free and clear, give me Mississippi. I will alway choose having a home/job, and I could live on $35k a year if I don't have to pay mortgage. My long-time tenants retired and went to Alabama (they are Cubans) - said CHEAP cost of living (they had a log cabin built) and no $2k+ Miami rent.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you mean a home that's free and clear, give me Mississippi. I will alway choose having a home/job, and I could live on $35k a year if I don't have to pay mortgage. My long-time tenants retired and went to Alabama (they are Cubans) - said CHEAP cost of living (they had a log cabin built) and no $2k+ Miami rent.

I want to guess that was hyperbole, but if you'd rather be broke than working class, you are using ridiculous hyperbole or might be re ed. Being a bum is still being a bum, the vast majority of the homed treat the homeless like garbage. That doesn't change because of pretty beaches, it's probably harder being homeless in Hawaii than anywhere in the country as it's so damn expensive there.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    5 of the 17 "below average" and "bottom five" states for fiscal condition are red states.

You consider Florida flipped Red for the last election, as did Ohio and only 2 of the top 20 fiscally responsible states are blue.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry, three blue states in the top 20. Such a winning team they are.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO, Florida is doing a good job. Education wise - Scott signed into law school choice everywhere in the state (even across county lines) and full Bright Futures tuition (covers state university for 4 years). Property homestead assessment is capped at 3%. State tax at 6% (except for these foolish Miami Dade County politicians with their extra 1% for MetroRail going nowhere and (public) Jackson Memorial Hospital) and an excellent job with Hurricane Irma (sans that nursing home where seniors died but I think that some law's been passed to help with nursing homes/generators). And on the ballot - no new tax without 2/3 legislature approval - this should easily pass. Our state pension plan is not in bad shape 84% funded - #7.

And yes, the good financial situation will probably continue in part for NOT expanding Obamacare Medicaid. I wonder how many of those states on that list is in/going to be in trouble because of that law - states started paying 5% in 2017 increasing to 10% in 2020.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shocking. States with small populations that are benefitting from the fracking boom are doing well.

Not really the "look at how gooder the red policies" are slam dunk you think it is.
    Last edited by RandomGuy; 04-04-2018 at 10:04 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cucho, Chris, TSA, etc are all pretty stupid, ignorant s. slapping them is so it's easy it's no fun

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's another tactic in Trash/Sessions/Repugs executing political vendettas on CA

ICE arrests farmworkers, sparking fears in the Central Valley over immigrants and the economy

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...s=mcnewsletter

Any such huge ICE sweeps in Confederate / red states?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.mercatus.org/statefiscalrankings

Good rankings criteria IMO.

They outline the problem of unfunded pension liabilities rather well.

Top-performing states tend to exhibit fiscal discipline in the form of having high levels of cash, maintaining revenues that exceed expenses, and keeping debt levels low relative to resident income.
    Kansas' tax cuts hurt it badly in this ranking.

The magical thinking around tax cuts will not help, and the showcase states like Oklahoma and Kansas are good examples.

Lastly, it suffers from the "noise" effect. You can simplify things too much, and the chart is a good example of something that is useful in considering fiscal position but bad at linking that to a party's specific policies.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.mercatus.org/statefiscalrankings

Good rankings criteria IMO.

They outline the problem of unfunded pension liabilities rather well.

Kansas' tax cuts hurt it badly in this ranking.

The magical thinking around tax cuts will not help, and the showcase states like Oklahoma and Kansas are good examples.

Lastly, it suffers from the "noise" effect. You can simplify things too much, and the chart is a good example of something that is useful in considering fiscal position but bad at linking that to a party's specific policies.
    KS and OK make the headlines, but Louisiana is also a financial hole from Repug misgovernance.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shocking. States with small populations that are benefitting from the fracking boom are doing well.

Not really the "look at how gooder the red policies" are slam dunk you think it is.

Never said it was. It does disprove your "red states are DOOMED" rhetoric you and fellow DoomsDayer Boots preach. The blue states are low performing, period. Bottom of the barrel low performing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cucho, Chris, TSA, etc are all pretty stupid, ignorant s. slapping them is so it's easy it's no fun

LOL, yeah, you're the voice of reason that everyone takes serious and so grounded to reality.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    Lots of fracking done in South Dakota, RG?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never said it was. It does disprove your "red states are DOOMED" rhetoric you and fellow DoomsDayer Boots preach. The blue states are low performing, period. Bottom of the barrel low performing.
    Didn't say red states are doomed, merely that Republican policy solutions are abject failures.

Your happy fun chart doesn't show "low performing" it shows a measure of fiscal discipline, which is vastly different than economic growth.

Kansas is probably one of the better examples of this, and the most clear. Republican policies such as trickle-down and private prisons have failed, miserably.

Republican policies such as private prisons are not only failures, but morally evil. Look up the "kids for cash" scandal (prison companies kickbacks for judges sentencing juveniles), and tell me we need to have a profit motive for prisons.

Republican "free market is the only solution, period" preferred policies, fail, time and time again.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't say red states are doomed, merely that Republican policy solutions are abject failures.

Your happy fun chart doesn't show "low performing" it shows a measure of fiscal discipline, which is vastly different than economic growth.

Kansas is probably one of the better examples of this, and the most clear. Republican policies such as trickle-down and private prisons have failed, miserably.

Republican policies such as private prisons are not only failures, but morally evil. Look up the "kids for cash" scandal (prison companies kickbacks for judges sentencing juveniles), and tell me we need to have a profit motive for prisons.

Republican "free market is the only solution, period" preferred policies, fail, time and time again.

My "happy fun" chart is what you link to for criteria. Either way, Liberal policy is tanking blue states into fiscal irresponsibility because they are failing miserably. Way to potatoe on this, fella.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stay in the two-man huddle with Boots and tell us how the world is ending today, tomorrow and 5 months from now because the big bad Red Boogeymen...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    8 of the top 9 states (only #2 ND) did NOT do Obamacare Medicaid expansion. They will probably hold on to their top spots in the future as the Medicaid expansion states are going to feel increasingly more financial pain as their portion of Medicaid increases.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lots of fracking done in South Dakota, RG?
    Most of it is in North Dakota. Why?

Thread Information