Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We might be better off abolishing the whole department than keeping it with her in charge.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What is the blue team argument against charter schools?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    for-profit charter schools have been numerous enough and around long enough to provide a mountain of evidence that they don't perform any better than public schools, often much worse, and lot of them have gone bankrupt, screwing the kids in charter schools, while sucking taxpayer $$$ from public schools

teacher pay is tier, teachers are tier, "pay peanuts, get monkeys"

First charter school teacher strike suspended after union wins concessions in Chicago

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2018/12/11/first-charter-school-teacher-strike-suspended-after-union-wins-concessions-chicago/?utm_term=.35100131c884

Billionaires are pushing for-profit charter schools, which is the dead giveaway that they suck, are MEANT to suck, meant to damage public schools and public school teacher benefits.

Just another way the oligarchy tries amass more Capital by fleecing public funds, and keeping people dumbed down.

If we know how to make charter public schools excel, then why can we make non-charter schools excel?

As with every ing thing in America, it's all about $$$, not about non-$$$ outcomes or damage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually I was asking for a response from a rational poster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it doesn't work why are public schools following the charter/magnet school model?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it doesn't work why are public schools following the charter/magnet school model?
    No link plus fallacy

Very rational

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't particularly have a problem with charter/magnet schools, however, I'm also unaware that they address an actual problem?

Magnet schools specifically were created to address racial segregation problems, although as that has diminished, they've focused on catering to specialization (which, IMO, it's not a bad thing). I wouldn't actually mind this converted to full blown trade schools.

Charter schools go to the premise that a privately run enterprise will be more efficient than a government run one, especially with looser regulations, and, again, I'm not sure that premise really holds true when the actual funding come from government. While it's true that this new middle man has an incentive to produce good academic results in order to continue to have a gravy train, it's still a gravy train, and an additional layer that effectively make the efficiency argument very debatable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No link plus fallacy

Very rational
    Off the top of my head SAISD has Fox Tech 3000 kids in magnet/charter programs from 4th grade to 12th. NEISD and NISD all have magnet/charter programs. Blake you just showed your stupid again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol "off the top of my head"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol "off the top of my head"
    Prove me wrong, dumbass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prove me wrong, dumbass.
    No, I'll just say you're probably wrong and leave it there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, I'll just say you're probably wrong and leave it there.

You really are an idiot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You really are an idiot.
    No, you are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't believe the local public schools have their own charter/magnet schools? , my daughter went to one of NEISDs (International School of the Americas). They do exist, bozo.
    Last edited by CosmicCowboy; 12-16-2018 at 02:25 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't believe the local public schools have their own charter/magnet schools? , my daughter went to one of NEISDs 10 years ago (International School of the Americas). They do exist, bozo.
    Lol "charter/magnet"

There's no serious discussion here until you can get the facts and terminology straight, idiot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look up the definition of charter school, idiot. It's a public school the kids go to by choice at no cost to them. Magnet schools qualify under the broader definition.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look up the definition of charter school, idiot. It's a public school the kids go to by choice at no cost to them. Magnet schools qualify under the broader definition.
    NEISD doesn't have the charter schools you're talking about. They have magnet schools.

Now you're gonna try to argue about these details to win the internet instead of going back to your original question/argument.

You're the idiot

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NEISD doesn't have the charter schools you're talking about. They have magnet schools.

Now you're gonna try to argue about these details to win the internet instead of going back to your original question/argument.

You're the idiot
    You appear to be the one trying to win the internet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You appear to be the one trying to win the internet.
    Uh huh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Profiteering education at tax payer expense is utterly shameless.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Profiteering education at tax payer expense is utterly shameless.
    billionaires have no shame, no ethics, no morals when amassing Capital is the goal

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What is the blue team argument against charter schools?
    because jon oliver had an episode about them

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fed up and not taking it anymore

Thousands of LAUSD teachers march downtown as union moves closer to calling first strike in nearly 30 years

possible strike that L.A. educators have threatened if the district doesn’t meet demands that include

retroactive raises,

smaller class sizes and

more nurses and counselors.

“Amidst the wealth of Los Angeles, we should not have class sizes of 45 students,”

Teachers in L.A. Unified earn $44,000 to $86,000 a year depending on their education and experience

L.A. Unified says the average teacher salary is $75,000, which reflects the district’s older, more experienced workforce.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-teachers-march-20181215-story.html#nws=mcnewsletter

and billionaires have been pushing hard to elect school managers that are pro-charter school

=======================

As always, CA takes the national lead

California to End For-Profit Charter Schools

https://lasentinel.net/california-to...r-schools.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In Florida, charter schools are privatively-run, publicly funded (by the state - not at county level). Miami-Dade County had on its ballot this past November a property tax raise for teachers' salary and more security. MDCPS heavily promoted it and NEGLECTED to inform parents that this money would not be going to charter schools (of which 20% of the counties' students attend).

As a parent, I find my ds' charter school to be very flexible and willing to put resources toward students' academics (instead of administrative costs like Facebook Workplace - which has got to be the most useless (and no doubt - expensive) software ever. For example, ds' college prep teacher was so impressed by ds' SAT prep books that he (in November) requested and was granted copies of these prep books (changed curriculum mid-semester). That would never happen in a public school which are as slow as molasses and very difficult to ins ute ANY change. Even the administrators send their kids to charter schools - just more efficient, flexible, pays their teachers more (but no pension). The result is simply a better product. One of the most sought-after charter schools is Archimedean charters - K-12 - my dd's best friend attended from its beginnings as a fledging program out of FIU about 17 years ago - the compe ion is so fierce that even sibling advantage doesn't always get you in.

I believe the money should follow the student - much like Canada and Finland? where student/parent can choose Catholic school, Jewish school, public, etc. Public school spends too much money on retiree health benefits and pensions - before the students. But, as always, buyer beware - check out schools/score/other parents before deciding on where to send your kids. How's that for choice - unlike the traditional public school where you are bound by geographic boundaries.

BTW, I highly recommend the following for SAT prep:

https://www.amazon.com/College-Panda...ords=panda+sat

https://www.amazon.com/College-Panda...ords=panda+sat

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "privatively-run, publicly funded"

... with nearly their entire budgets out-sourced to for-profit companies

Thread Information