Page 17 of 491 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's an asshole. Bush league crap the last year. Now it wasn't because of some mysterious slight someone in the spurs did. Its because Spurs weren't close to winning . Give me a break. WCF with him playing isn't close to winning ...
    So mad

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well Jabari is not going to Canada....

it's funny, he was just on the Dunc'd On Podcast released today, and his whole Spurs-hating schtick had turned around a lot. He was kissing Pop's ass in a way that was uncomfortable for the first 30 minutes. Eventually he got into his "Spurs have to adapt to players because they run the league" rant, but he was unusually positive about the Spurs. At the end he spoke about getting his credentials renewed and such in regards to getting ready for the upcoming season. I feel bad for fans who would listen to the show thinking they got a good hour of info, because Jabari was as context-free and lacking good info as I would have expected from McDougal.

I've thought about subscribing to The Athletic even though I don't read much because the media and blogboys don't have much to offer me with their lack of context and lack of insight. But I was thinking of doing it because I would like to see Sports media have a wider variety of opportunities to make a living. The fall of traditional media has been rough on sports coverage.

But if Jabari gets on The Athletic and is covering the Spurs beat, then I can rest easy not giving them money because Jabari is bottom of the barrel when it comes to covering the Spurs, only one step above McDougal and below the likes of the other Spurs blogboys.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What is the "The Athletic"?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What is the "The Athletic"?
    It's a subscriber-only online sportswriting hub, kind of like SPORT magazine 30 years ago or SI but with lots of regional or city specific writers, promoted often as better journalism with either or more long-form stuff or stats stuff, depends on who's trying to promote it. An attempt to be a 'netflix' of sports journalism.

Venture capital funded, probably out of business in a few years.

https://thebiglead.com/2018/06/04/th...ore-to-endure/

If they're paying Jabari, their quality threshold for well informed, interesting writing is very poor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With all due respect, why is this still in the Spurs forum?
    i get that everyone wants to be 'over it' and a lot of us are still bitter at the way things went down but lets admit, it's interesting to see the drama unfold on some other poor in team.

yeah you could have it downstairs but that place has basically zero traffic. this was a big enough deal to warrant at least a single thread in the main forum

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want him to play well in Toronto then leave for the Lakers. Sign some enormous deal with Lakers then suck either by injury or loss of athleticism. He will be hated by Spurs, Raptors, and Lakers fan.
    I want him to play just well enough to secure us the best pick from Toronto, then explode into flames like a Spinal Tap drummer never to be seen again.

Barring that, I hope he goes to the Clippers. Anyone that willingly goes to the Clippers gets what they deserve.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i get that everyone wants to be 'over it' and a lot of us are still bitter at the way things went down but lets admit, it's interesting to see the drama unfold on some other poor in team.

yeah you could have it downstairs but that place has basically zero traffic. this was a big enough deal to warrant at least a single thread in the main forum
    I don't think it's interesting nor do I think there's drama. Even if there was, who gaf what uncle lets nephew do with his time? IDK maybe it's just me that doesn't consider got deserving of even being in this part of the forum.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want him to play just well enough to secure us the best pick from Toronto, then explode into flames like a Spinal Tap drummer never to be seen again.

Barring that, I hope he goes to the Clippers. Anyone that willingly goes to the Clippers gets what they deserve.
    Every word of this.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I agree. I would definitely hope it would be the 21st pick

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think it's interesting nor do I think there's drama. Even if there was, who gaf what uncle lets nephew do with his time? IDK maybe it's just me that doesn't consider got deserving of even being in this part of the forum.
    sure, i think it is though. the fans in toronto are gonna hate kawhi by year's end

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a subscriber-only online sportswriting hub, kind of like SPORT magazine 30 years ago or SI but with lots of regional or city specific writers, promoted often as better journalism with either or more long-form stuff or stats stuff, depends on who's trying to promote it. An attempt to be a 'netflix' of sports journalism.

Venture capital funded, probably out of business in a few years.

https://thebiglead.com/2018/06/04/th...ore-to-endure/

If they're paying Jabari, their quality threshold for well informed, interesting writing is very poor.
    ive been holding off on subscribing, but will likely cave sooner than later. their football coverage is pretty good, they have guys that do good film review, etc.

not sure if i'd subscribe there if basketball was my primary reason tho

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is this thread still being revived? this piece of . This is Spurstalk, not talk, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because it still confusing a hurtful. Reading all these stories about him on how he is healthy and is a gym junkie. Yet the guy was never around our team last season; considering it was Manu likely last season, TP was recovering from a big injury, ex teammate dies in car crash, and the coach's wife dies during the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because it still confusing a hurtful. Reading all these stories about him on how he is healthy and is a gym junkie. Yet the guy was never around our team last season; considering it was Manu likely last season, TP was recovering from a big injury, ex teammate dies in car crash, and the coach's wife dies during the playoffs.
    Yep. moves all around. And I don't even care why, tbh. He vacated the season for all intents and purposes. Then deserted his teammates so much so that they had to convene a team meeting to call his -ass out. Then for the final diss, he trashed the team, and PATFO especially, on his way out. No respect for him as a person whatsoever. None.

A first class belt, that guy earned.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Why is this thread still being revived? this piece of . This is Spurstalk, not talk, tbh.
    Son-figure is not a .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at TimmyBuckets continuously bumping the thread by complaining that it's still here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    YGWHI...oh you were talking about Jabari? My mistake.
    it's funny, he was just on the Dunc'd On Podcast released today, and his whole Spurs-hating schtick had turned around a lot. He was kissing Pop's ass in a way that was uncomfortable for the first 30 minutes. Eventually he got into his "Spurs have to adapt to players because they run the league" rant, but he was unusually positive about the Spurs. At the end he spoke about getting his credentials renewed and such in regards to getting ready for the upcoming season. I feel bad for fans who would listen to the show thinking they got a good hour of info, because Jabari was as context-free and lacking good info as I would have expected from McDougal.
    If they're paying Jabari, their quality threshold for well informed, interesting writing is very poor
    I guess most fans here will never get this...Jabari Young has always picked players' side.

When LeBron left CLE/MIA, when LMA left Portland...When LMA played poorly in 2017, fans roasted Jabari on Tw because he was the only one saying Aldridge was still better than Blake and any other PF in the league, when fans kept complaining about LMA's sign, Jabari told them they should wait...He was right.

When Jabari says the Spurs should adapt to new generations, he believes it.

In March, before players/coach comments, Jabari was the first to talk about how a franchise could alienate/lose a player. No one wanted to hear him.

Players trust him and talk with him in a way that other SA reporters only can dream. Why? Because he's real. He believes this league should be a players' league over owners, he truly believes in players' unity movement.

Why do you think that Dame tweeted it? Players love Jabari.
    Last edited by YGWHI; 09-19-2018 at 08:59 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess most fans here will never get this...Jabari Young has always picked players' side.

When LeBron left CLE/MIA, when LMA left Portland...When LMA played poorly in 2017, fans roasted Jabari on Tw because he was the only one saying Aldridge was still better than Blake and any other PF in the league, when fans kept complaining about LMA's sign, Jabari told them they should wait...He was right.

In March, before players/coach comments, Jabari was the first to talk about how a franchise could alienate/lose a player. No one wanted to hear him.

Players trust him and talk with him in a way that other SA reporters only can dream. Why? Because he's real. He believes this league should be a players' league over owners, he truly believes in players' unity movement.

You keep doing that. you'll go blind.

Seriously, you really believe it's OK to start forcing your way off of a team with TWO ING YEARS left on your deal? Because that's when this started, in August of '17 when his 'group' took over his rehab, and moved it to NYC.

This isn't a guy leaving in FA, it's one that ed out on his team and organization.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So blindly kissing up to super star players is his way of staying relevant. This should not be a player's league. It should be a nice combination. This league and the way basketball is being played is TERRIBLE. Bunch of ball hogging no ball movement, selfish-play. Spurs aren't perfect but I'm glad they didn't give into Uncle Dennis. He as well as Kawhi obviously had to go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can you'll ban anything Kawhi related in the Spurs forum??

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don't care about what side he's on, he's worthless on giving any basketball related information. There's a reason he was getting negative reviews from non-spurs fans for his Dunc'd On appearance: compared to every other team preview guest, Jabari gave the least detailed and most obvious answers to everything except what I outlined.

People compared it to a First Take appearance: bland hot takes without any nuance or insight. "Pop's a great coach", "Players run the league", "Rudy Gay can score 19 points a game next year". McDougal is no better, , he's worse.

Just one example:. I think Jabari claimed that the Spurs went big last year and it didn't work. But he didn't explain how they couldn't really go big or stay big when the only other big, Joffrey, was so awful that Pop couldn't choose to be big because of the hard staggering he had to do when starting Pau and LMA. Joffrey was so awful I think he had over 15 active DNP-CDs and about the same number of games under 5 minutes. Over 30 games where Pop had decided Joffrey was too ty to play unless it was absolute garbage time.

Compared to this year with Poeltl, there could be a huge difference in whether Pop goes big. It's not something people who didn't follow the Spurs would necessarily know about. They might think, "Poeltl is good, he could play in the regular rotation" but wouldn't comprehend how much of an upgrade it is from last year to this.

When asked about players who could decline this year, and offered Pau as an example by the host, Jabari just blathered on about something like 'I spoke to Pau at season's end and he still thinks he can play' and 'Pau is still one of the smartest guys'. Basically just vague TV show trash, that anyone who didn't watch a single game could say.

What could change with Pau's role without the need to stagger him and LMA so much? Could he even be moved to the bench with Manu's absence to try to get more playmaking of any sort into that unit? What will his minutes be like and why? Or does he need to start to add spacing from the center position? What were his season splits like? What does that suggest about next year? . These things listeners didn't really get.

He barely mentioned Patty Mills, didn't inform people about how last year was arguably his worst year since his rookie campaign, didn't get into anything with his contract or comments or weight or defensive slippage or anything. Just talked about how Mills could be in the lineup 'when they need scoring' or something like that.

Basically it was a 5 minute ESPN show segment breakdown for something like PtI spread over an hour.

He's just not useful to anyone who wants to be well informed about what's up on the court.
    Last edited by objective; 09-19-2018 at 04:59 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll add that stats, advanced stats, splits, lineup data, etc etc aren't something that Jabari or Jeff McDonald have any use for.

That's how they can make appearances and tweets and write and turn Spurs fans off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Clippers have two max contract slots available in July, and are emerging as a front-runner for Toronto's All-NBA forward Kawhi Leonard when he becomes a free agent in July, league sources said.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ew-york-knicks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information