Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hypothetical: If you had prime Duncan and Robinson in today's NBA, since big guys that don't play the perimeter that much are not a thing anymore, would you trade one of them to surround the other with three point shooters or do you force the league to deal with Twin Towers?

Discuss

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prime Robinson could play on the perimeter defensively well enough to bend the league. They'd be better together, but they'd have to both work on shooting threes.

Taking just the talents without the names and being forced to choose, I think Robinson would be the better four-out big in today's era. Prime Admiral was some mix between what Giannis is and what Bam hopes to become offensively. He could absolutely still dominate the game as a high-usage play-making center. Tim is good enough to overcome it, but the post-ups he likes aren't seen as efficient shots, so he'd have to do more three-point shooting to make up for it. He'd still be like Embiid without the crazy though. Both would be hands down the best big in the league.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hypothetical: If you had prime Duncan and Robinson in today's NBA, since big guys that don't play the perimeter that much are not a thing anymore, would you trade one of them to surround the other with three point shooters or do you force the league to deal with Twin Towers?

Discuss
    no. Robinson could cover on the perimeter. He was like a small forward in a 7 foot, 29 inch Waist, 17 inch bicep body. they would create such mismatches on the offensive end that the opponent would have to try to play big ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prime Robinson might actually be better in today's NBA than he was in the 90s, and that's saying a lot.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Robinson would have to develop a 3 point shot but he would be able to do it. He already had a great mid range shot so he would have been able to get a 3 point shot. Keep Duncan in the post and have Robinson operate from the perimeter on the offensive end.

Both would still be great on defense since they had great lateral movement and could switch quickly on rotations.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both would be lucky to make an nba roster in today’s nba imho.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both would be lucky to make an nba roster in today’s nba imho.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You keep the twin towers and surround them with snipers. Would be deadly tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Non-issue. They would have forced other teams to play big.

Also, some might have forgotten, but prime Duncan, before his injuries, was quite athletic and mobile. He would have absolutely no problems playing in today's NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    both in their prime were super mobile. Robinson would be better than Giannis in this league with its current playing style. Plus Duncan can actually shoot 3s

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In their primes for 10 years.. That's about 7 rings.. Just put Timmy on the block since nobody plays post D anymore and he's going for 50 a night..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    remember when pop rolled out drob/duncan/perdue lineup...good times

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I used to infuriate Lakers fans by saying that Tim or David at 6’8” would be All Star SFs, but Shaq would be Bo Outlaw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In their primes for 10 years.. That's about 7 rings.. Just put Timmy on the block since nobody plays post D anymore and he's going for 50 a night..
    And he’d give up 75 points worth of threes on the other end tbh. Unplayable in today’s nba.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Non-issue. They would have forced other teams to play big.

Also, some might have forgotten, but prime Duncan, before his injuries, was quite athletic and mobile. He would have absolutely no problems playing in today's NBA.
    No they wouldn’t. There’s no such thing as forcing other teams to play big in today’s nba.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And he’d give up 75 points worth of threes on the other end tbh. Unplayable in today’s nba.
    So every great big man over the last 75 years is complete is that right? Oh yeah and by the way let’s completely overlook how nobody is allowed to play defense anymore. Change the rules back to a time when you allowed to play defense and tell me what’s up. I understand why the NBA did it because fans wanted more scoring, but these mother ers are getting elbowed in the stomach and people are getting thrown out of the game..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No they wouldn’t. There’s no such thing as forcing other teams to play big in today’s nba.
    Because the Golden State Warriors ruined the NBA in a lot of ways by doing nothing but shooting ing three-point shots. Nobody possesses the skill set to dominate down low anymore.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because the Golden State Warriors ruined the NBA in a lot of ways by doing nothing but shooting ing three-point shots. Nobody possesses the skill set to dominate down low anymore.
    Agreed. That's my biggest argument is today's bigs don't know how to post up properly and learn the back to basket game. Posting up today is just backing down somebody once and doing an ugly fade away. Jokic is the only current big that actually understands how to play the back to the basket game and has the positioning,footwork, and counters down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. That's my biggest argument is today's bigs don't know how to post up properly and learn the back to basket game. Posting up today is just backing down somebody once and doing an ugly fade away. Jokic is the only current big that actually understands how to play the back to the basket game and has the positioning,footwork, and counters down.
    Exactly. For those that say it wouldn’t work, who the even has the skill set of a Tim Duncan or a Hakeem Olajuwon? Absolutely nobody. Golden State started jacking up half-court shots and every asshole followed suit.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. For those that say it wouldn’t work, who the even has the skill set of a Tim Duncan or a Hakeem Olajuwon? Absolutely nobody. Golden State started jacking up half-court shots and every asshole followed suit.
    It could take 10-20 years for that trend to reverse. Once another Duncan-Olajuwon-Jabbar type of player enters the league that's when the trend will reverse.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prime Robinson could play on the perimeter defensively well enough to bend the league. They'd be better together, but they'd have to both work on shooting threes.

Taking just the talents without the names and being forced to choose, I think Robinson would be the better four-out big in today's era. Prime Admiral was some mix between what Giannis is and what Bam hopes to become offensively. He could absolutely still dominate the game as a high-usage play-making center. Tim is good enough to overcome it, but the post-ups he likes aren't seen as efficient shots, so he'd have to do more three-point shooting to make up for it. He'd still be like Embiid without the crazy though. Both would be hands down the best big in the league.
    Totally agree with this

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You only have 1 ball, the other one has to shoot the three to be useful on offense. Even if they are both great players they can't utilize both of their skills at the same time, one is relegated to a below average three point shooter on offense. On defense only one can protect the rim, so your'e forcing another out of their comfort zone guarding the perimeter.

You double team the post player , sag off the other , then you live with the consequence of a perimeter shot of a great back to the basket player. Or you pack the paint , and hope for a shoot-out, you would probably higher paid perimeter players to outscore their 3 other guys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TBG featured 2 bigs that didn't shoot 3s. Duncan/Robinson is a direct upgrade to Splitter/Duncan. Surround with 3 point shooters and you're fine.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really laugh at some of the comments in here thinking Tim and David can be stop by the midgets of today double teaming them, its as if they have never seen double teaming in their whole life. If LaMarcus and the Lopez brothers can train to shoot 3s at a decent clip what is stopping David and Tim from doing it? David is one of the best shooting big man of his time and Tim has shown he could do it. They just did not put in the time to do it during their time as it is not something that is required of them. If we look back to the 2016/17 series with Houstons where they are pumping 3s, if LaMarcus, Gasol and David Lee combined a 73mins per game and the Spurs win that series 4-2 there is now reason to believe that Prime David and Tim (especially before his injuries) is unable to compete. In fact with their speed and length they could easily deny the shooters from shooting 3 and force them to either face a great interior defender or shoot long 2 while the other recover to guard the bigman. In fact they would be gobbling up the rebounds that the Spurs would probably have much more possession than the other team.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well the argument is if you can trade one for a perimeter would it be better than playing both at the same time. Based on espn greatest of all time, close to David is Harden and Kawhi. Who would win a 7 game series David and Duncan or Harden/Kawhi and Duncan , i think the latter. I think the MIA vs MIL series is already proving that.

Thread Information