Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stangind jump and max vert are not bad but average. I think Watanabe will need to add some bulk to suceed in the league. He's pretty thin actually.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stangind jump and max vert are not bad but average. I think Watanabe will need to add some bulk to suceed in the league. He's pretty thin actually.
    Max vert is actually around 37 inches. He's nursing a minor ankle injury. I believe he said he's close to 100% in the interviews. Too much bulk would affect his quickness though which is his main advantage.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Found another highlight video showcasing his strengths (defense + versatility). Might want to turn down the sound for this one

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he has a little saric to his game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Draft Workouts: Yuta Watanabe

Former George Washington Star Attempting to Become Second Japanese-Born Player to Play in NBA

Yuta Watanabe is far from a household name in America. In fact, only the most ardent college basketball fans might know the 6-9 guard, who spent four years in relative anonymity playing for a George Washington team that never finished better than fifth in the Atlantic 10.
    But in his home country of Japan, Watanabe is a really big deal. How big?
    His nickname is "The Chosen One."

When he worked out for the Wizards last month, "a swath of reporters" from Japan were on hand to track his every move.
    There were no Japanese reporters present at his pre-draft workout for the Pacers on Wednesday morning, but make no mistake, they are watching him closely.
    Watanabe is attempting to become just the second Japanese-born player in NBA history. 5-9 point guard Yuta Tabuse was the first, though he appeared in just four games for the Phoenix Suns in 2004.

"A lot of people care about what I'm doing," Watanabe said on Wednesday. "And hopefully I can make them happy."

While he likely won't be a first-round pick in next week's NBA Draft, Watanabe has the physical tools to make it in the NBA.
    At the recent NBA Global Camp, he was measured at 6-9 with a 6-10 wingspan and recorded a 36.5-inch vertical jump.
    Despite his size, Watanabe played primarily the guard position in college. He averaged 16.3 points, 6.1 rebounds, 1.6 assists, and 1.6 blocks per game as a senior, while shooting 36.4 percent from 3-point range and 80.7 percent from the free throw line.
    His size and athleticism allowed him to be a menace on the defensive end and he was voted the Atlantic 10's Defensive Player of the Year as a senior.
    With those measurables, Watanabe would seem to have all the tools to succeed in the modern NBA, which places a high priority on players who can knock down shots and guard multiple positions.

"My strength is my versatility, both offensively and defensively," Watanabe said Wednesday. "I can dribble, I can shoot, I can pass. On the defensive end, I can guard 1-4."

Still, Watanabe admitted that he must get stronger to be able to play heavy minutes in the NBA. He weighed in at just 191.6 pounds at the NBA Global Camp.
    Watanabe has represented his home country in international compe ion for a number of years, including Olympic qualifying in the summer of 2016. But four years ago, he made a bold decision to travel across the Pacific Ocean and enroll in college. He was just the fourth Japanese-born student athlete to play NCAA Division I men's basketball, according to George Washington athletics.

"When I came here, I couldn't speak any English," Watanabe said. "That was challenging, but I enjoyed the last four years. As a person (and) as a player, I think I developed a lot."

Watanabe is hopeful that his experience playing against NCAA compe ion has made him better prepared to play in the NBA. He has followed the league for years and lists Kobe Bryant as one of his basketball idols.

"The NBA has been my dream since I was a kid," he said. "...I'm going to do whatever it takes and we'll see what happens."

Pop took his brain back. xellos88330's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This kid intrigues me a bit. I think he may be worth a closer look. I don't see superstar, but a reliable role player willing to do the little things. These days, the Spurs really need guys like that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could totally see GS drafting him and then everybody acting like he was always a great prospect. I like what I see, and I've learned to trust the OP's scouting. I like his fire and willingness to take big shots. Hate his inclination to step inside and take an off-balanced two. But what can you do? 49 isn't too high.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the news that Kawhi wants out, Spurs need forwards who are elite defenders and can play both ends of the floor. Know anyone that might fit the bill? Shot selection can be improved but the important thing is that he's got all the fundamentals down pat unlike an Andre Roberson who can play defense too but shoots his free throws at lower than 40%.

Recently worked out for the Suns where he tied the record for the most full-court laps in 3 minutes (the infamous 'three-minute' drill).

Source: https://www.nba.com/suns/draft/2018-...e-14-2018#gref

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm in!

Team Yuta

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    #96 on Stepien writer Hoy's big board

https://www.thestepien.com/2018/06/1...018-big-board/

Watanabe has excellent size for a wing player at 6-foot-9 with a 6-foot-10 wingspan and was named Atlantic 10 Defensive Player of the Year last season. He also has an intriguing offensive skillset, able to put the ball on the floor and pass a bit with some solid shooting ability. He’s never shot the ball all that well from 3-point range, but he shot above 80 percent from the free throw line during 3 out of his 4 seasons at George Washington. Watanabe is skinny and on the older side, so it wouldn’t be surprising if he never materializes into anything, but big wings who can defend and shoot are always interesting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well he went undrafted, see if he joins Spurs SL.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he is on the Nets if not mistaken.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking pretty good in summer league

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We lost K-Y, Green, Parker, Anderson, Paul, Costello
    We added DeR, Walker, Cunigham, Jacob, Belli

Hillard I think might still be on a two way contract not sure we need him with all the guards we have now. I wouldn’t mind him and Metu getting two way contracts
    Last edited by BackHome; 08-03-2018 at 05:24 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We lost K-Y, Green, Parker, Anderson, Paul, Costello
    We added DeR, Walker, Cunigham, Jacob, Belli

Hillard I think might still be on a two way contract not sure we need him with all the guards we have now. I wouldn’t mind him and Metu getting two way contracts
    Watanabe already signed a two way contract with Memphis.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Had a pretty good summer league. Showed a lot of promise. Disappointed the Spurs didn't at least take a look at him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope he plays well. I’m also disappointing The Spurs didn’t try to get him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watanabe made a clutch shot in a preseason game against the Pacers. Displayed some nice handles and shooting touch. A few blocks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Japanese media followed him to Memphis and he had an area specially dedicated for his interviews to his local Japanese audience. It gave the Grizz some buzz in preseason and I am sure the franchise benefits from the international fandom.

He looked intriguing and he’s on a 2 way deal so perhaps he will play a few NBA games this year. The Grizzlies like him a lot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watanabe is playing well in the Gleague. Looks like an NBA player.
    https://gleague.nba.com/games/20181121/FWNMHU/ 32 pts, 6/10 on 3s, 4 blocks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watanabe is playing well in the Gleague. Looks like an NBA player.
    https://gleague.nba.com/games/20181121/FWNMHU/ 32 pts, 6/10 on 3s, 4 blocks.
    Three point shooting and defense. What the Spurs desperately need. Really wished they at least signed him to a two way deal.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can trade for 2 way contracts (although you need to match the value), and he'd be the only actual SF on the team... Can anyone think of a good trade? Would the Grizz accept one of our two-way guys and cash?

Thread Information