My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    as related to Texas

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Experts warn California of a disaster 'larger than any in world history.' It's not an earthquake.
    A new study says that as the Earth warms, a massive California flood gets more likely — one that would swamp Los Angeles, displace millions and cause historic damage.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...s/10308979002/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Experts warn California of a disaster 'larger than any in world history.' It's not an earthquake.
    A new study says that as the Earth warms, a massive California flood gets more likely — one that would swamp Los Angeles, displace millions and cause historic damage.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...s/10308979002/
    bring it

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd never heard of California’s Great Flood of 1862. Do you really want 10 feet of rain in a month and a half?

If these ARkStorm's occur in Cali every 150-200 years maybe we'll get to see one, timing is right. Would be cool to watch and lol at the libs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd never heard of California’s Great Flood of 1862. Do you really want 10 feet of rain in a month and a half?

If these ARkStorm's occur in Cali every 150-200 years maybe we'll get to see one, timing is right. Would be cool to watch and lol at the libs.
    I couldn't care less. Plus, it's not like I get to choose. We're also not in 1862 anymore, tbh, there was no drainage or anything like that back then.

And if that nukes a few houses/neighborhoods and have to build up again, bring it. Big you to the NIMBYs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I couldn't care less. Plus, it's not like I get to choose. We're also not in 1862 anymore, tbh, there was no drainage or anything like that back then.

And if that nukes a few houses/neighborhoods and have to build up again, bring it. Big you to the NIMBYs.
    According to the study, a similar flood now would displace 5 million to 10 million people, cut off the state’s major freeways for perhaps weeks or months with massive economic damage, and submerge major Central Valley cities as well as parts of Los Angeles.

You're denying the climate science.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According to the study, a similar flood now would displace 5 million to 10 million people, cut off the state’s major freeways for perhaps weeks or months with massive economic damage, and submerge major Central Valley cities as well as parts of Los Angeles.

You're denying the climate science.
    Mostly in Sacramento and inland. If they all move to Utah, it'll be better for California long term

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So was the flood of 1862 weather or climate change?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So was the flood of 1862 weather or climate change?
    pre-industrial era, can't pin it on carbon

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Though if you ask Qhris, it was probably a CIA program from the deep state funded by the Rothschild (even though the CIA didn't exist before 1947).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pre-industrial era, can't pin it on carbon
    If the exact amount of rainfall in 2023 falls that fell in 1862 will it be weather or climate change?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^^ devil's advocate for the dreckeffekt, open minded to the last!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the exact amount of rainfall in 2023 falls that fell in 1862 will it be weather or climate change?
    We certainly have the tools to look into this much more scientifically now. I don't think we have that from 1862.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chinook/Coho runs, CA native tribes threatened by water diversion

On Aug. 17, the Shasta River Water Association sent a letter to the Division of Water Rights Deputy Director Erik Ekdahl, informing the agency of plans to defy the curtailment order through exceptions listed by the order.

“The Shasta River Water Association has chosen to follow the suggested curtailment of 15% on the Shasta River,” the association said in its letter. “We will start pumping to supply water to livestock as the weather is over 90 degrees per the suggestion. We will also follow the suggestion to fill ponds for fire suppression and attempt to water the tree base to reduce fire hazards to the community and our families.”

The association closed its letter by saying it "looks forward to working with the numerous agencies in effort to protect the health of the river. At this time, we are choosing to protect the health of livestock, wildlife and families.”
    https://www.courthousenews.com/north...t-water-usage/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Klamath Irrigation District bows up to regulators

Tucker also sees the situation as a test of whether the state can keep water in rivers as the climate continues to dry. “I think if these guys get away with it here, next thing you know, farmers and ranchers are just going to ignore state agencies and federal agencies when they try to regulate,” said Tucker.

And that’s what nearly happened in southern Oregon on Monday. As reported by Capital Press, the Klamath Irrigation District announced plans to defy the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation’s orders to halt water deliveries to farmers in the region.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

LOL all those libs in the central valley

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What does that mean for the country’s food supply?

This is the big question. I don’t want to be flippant, but people don’t understand the food-water nexus. Do we try to bring more water to the southern high plains, to Arizona, to California, because if the food system’s optimized, maybe that’s the cheapest thing to do? Or does agriculture move to where the water is? Does it migrate north and east? It’s not just food production. What about the workers? Transportation? If we were to move all of our agriculture to northern California, into Idaho, into North Dakota over the next decade, that’s a major upheaval for millions and millions of people who work in the ag industry.

It’s really interconnected, isn’t it? The nation essentially expanded West beginning in the 19th century in order to build a food system that could support East Coast growth. The Homestead Act, the expansion of the railroads, was partially to put a system in place to bring stock back to the meat houses in Chicago and to expand farming to supply the urban growth in the East.

I don’t think a lot of people really realize that, right? When I go to the grocery store in Saskatoon, my berries are coming from Watsonville, California. The lettuce is coming from Salinas, California.
    https://www.propublica.org/article/c...ay-famiglietti

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Water wars. It’s an idea that gets batted around a whole bunch. Once, negotiating water use more than a century ago, California and Arizona amassed armed state guard troops on opposite banks of the Colorado River. Is this hyperbole or reality for the future?

Well, it’s already happening. Florida and Georgia were in court as was Tennessee. There’s the dispute between Texas and New Mexico. Even within California they’re still arguing environment versus agriculture, farmers versus fish, north versus south. Sadly, we’re at a point in our history where people are not afraid to express their extreme points of view in ways that are violent. That’s the trajectory that we’re on. When you put those things together, especially in the southern half or the southwestern United States, I think it’s more of a tinderbox than it ever has been.

That’s hopeful.

You’re not going to get any hope out of me. The best you’re going to get out of me is we can manage our way through.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mexico has overdeveloped their water supply,” Hinojosa said. “They’re farming desert land. They increased their acreage with water that should have gone to the US. And it was US companies doing it.”

“It’s gonna get real interesting,” he said, leaning back into his leather chair.
    https://www.texasobserver.org/rio-gr...ward-disaster/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only simpletons take a single data point and handwave. Used to be extreme weather events were the outliers not that they never happened. The actuarial data from the past 75 years is plain as is the tracking of data points.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DoEs cLiMatE cHanGe eXisT?!?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't deny that climate change exists but I also believe a lot of normal weather is blamed on climate change. Bad hurricanes, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't deny that climate change exists but I also believe a lot of normal weather is blamed on climate change. Bad hurricanes, etc.
    not in this thread. extraordinary, long lasting drought is the theme.

a hurricane along the Rio Grande would be very welcome, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Dallas-Fort Worth region in particular is pinning its hopes on several new reservoirs — including the recently completed Bois d’Arc Lake in Fannin County, which is still “waiting on rain” to fill up.

Two counties to the east, plans to dam the Sulphur River and flood thousands of acres for the benefit of growing North Texas cities have alarmed local residents whose homes and land could be swallowed by a new reservoir.
    https://www.texastribune.org/2022/10...limate-change/

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Couldn't possibly have downstream/unintended effects

Thread Information