Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    drill baby drill

“Our research has shown that the groundwater in the lower basin has been disappearing nearly seven times faster than the combined water losses from Lakes Powell and Mead,” said Jay Famiglietti, a hydrology professor and executive director of the University of Saskatchewan’s Global Ins ute for Water Security. “Groundwater losses of that magnitude are literally an existential threat to desert cities like Phoenix and Tucson.”
    https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/n...izona-2701985/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds bad

The Great Salt Lake in Utah is facing “unprecedented danger,” experts say, as it has fallen to an alarmingly low level amid a climate change-fueled megadrought that’s tightening its grip in the West.

Less than two weeks away from Utah’s 2023 legislative session, nearly three dozen scientists and conservationists released a dire report that calls on the state’s lawmakers to take “emergency measures” to save the Great Salt Lake before drains to nil.

Without a “dramatic increase” in inflow by 2024, experts warn the lake is set to disappear in the next five years.
    The Great Salt Lake, plagued by excessive water use and a worsening climate crisis, has dropped to record-low levels two years in a row. The lake is now 19 feet below its natural average level and has entered “uncharted territory” after losing 73% of its water and exposing 60% of its lakebed, the report notes.

“The lake’s ecosystem is not only on the edge of collapse. It is collapsing,” Benjamin Abbott, a professor of ecology at Brigham Young University and lead author of the report, told CNN. “It’s honestly jaw-dropping and totally disarming to see how much of the lake is gone. The lake is mostly lakebed right now.”
    https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/06/us/gr...ate/index.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mind bogglingly dumb, just wildly guessing what to do instead of conserving water.

Alfalfa accounts for ~68% of water drawn from the Great Salt Lake. Saudi Arabia banned it in 2018 -- they grow their supply in the US now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As far as these recent rains helping, yes of course they did.
    Thought the article said barely tho. Urgently need about 10 more rains like this and that was just to go up a small level.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is there a word or idiom that describes the slow approach of a big problem everyone sees, while doing nothing to stop it?

Summers marked by roiling, poisonous clouds sweeping in off the lake is something that “of course worries me”, says Mendenhall. A host of respiratory, cardiac and cancer-related problems could be stirred through the city’s 200,000-strong population, which is part of a broader string of urban and suburban development of 2.8 million people wedged between the lake and the Wasatch mountain range in Utah.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...climate-crisis

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is there a word or idiom that describes the slow approach of a big problem everyone sees, while doing nothing to stop it?

You can put a frog in boiling water and it will attempt to escape. Put a frog in water brought to a boil and it will die oblivious.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can put a frog in boiling water and it will attempt to escape. Put a frog in water brought to a boil and it will die oblivious.
    Not a bad analogy, but the Great Salt Lake *could* dry up in about 5 years. Barring a biblical flood, that burner is on high.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is there a word or idiom that describes the slow approach of a big problem everyone sees, while doing nothing to stop it?https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...climate-crisis
    the big problem is extremely profitable for the oligarchy causing the big problem, the same oligarchy owns and operates with Untouchable power, so the people who will suffer from the big problem are powerless

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the big problem is extremely profitable for the oligarchy causing the big problem, the same oligarchy owns and operates with Untouchable power, so the people who will suffer from the big problem are powerless
    untouchable power you say. the putatively powerless masses. it's almost like the privileges of ownership crowd everything else out for you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    are you an owner, boutons?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Arizona officials announced Thursday the state will no longer grant certifications for new developments within the Phoenix area, as groundwater rapidly disappears amid years of water overuse and climate change-driven drought.

A new study showed that the groundwater supporting the Phoenix area likely can’t meet additional development demand in the coming century, officials said at a news conference. Gov. Katie Hobbs and the state’s top water officials outlined the results of the study looking at groundwater demand within the Phoenix metro area, which is regulated by a state law that tries to ensure Arizona’s housing developments, businesses and farms are not using more groundwater than is being replaced.

The study found that around 4% of the area’s demand for groundwater, close to 4.9 million acre-feet, cannot be met over the next 100 years under current conditions – a huge shortage that will have significant implications for housing developments in the coming years in the booming Phoenix metro area, which has led the nation in population growth.

State officials said the announcement wouldn’t impact developments that have already been approved. However, developers that are seeking to build new construction will have to demonstrate they can provide an “assured water supply” for 100 years using water from a source that is not local groundwater.
    https://edition.cnn.com/2023/06/01/u...ate/index.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Las Vegas is next.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And then Salt Lake City.

It will start to hit Texas in the 2040’s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I still can't pick a winner for this one, one has yet to emerge.

Thread Information