Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What’s happening could be seen as the slow death of an era of easy living, the unwinding of a nearly 100-year-old series of multi-state compacts (collectively called “The Law of the River”) that’s been widely viewed as too permissive. Over-reliance on the Colorado River has helped pave the way for rapid population growth across the region, from Southern California to Denver, which may now, ironically, begin to pose a threat to those same cities.

For many reasons, Arizona is last in line for the Colorado River’s water, and the state is already preparing for the mandatory restrictions that could be less than two years away. The latest official projections from the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, the federal agency that manages the Colorado River system, shows that Lake Mead is likely to dip below the critical threshold of 1,075 feet above sea level late next year. That could trigger the first official “call on the river” — a legally-mandated cutback for certain users aimed at avoiding an all-out free-for-all.
    https://grist.org/article/the-water-...n-8-americans/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Users of Colorado River water below Lake Mead — including the cities of Phoenix, Los Angeles, Las Vegas (collectively referred to as the “lower basin”) — rely on the reservoir as a lifeline. The people in the lower basin exist partly at the mercy of what happens in the upper basin, an area encompassing the snowcapped peaks of Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, and northern New Mexico, the source region of the river.

Big water users in the upper basin — Salt Lake City, Denver, Albuquerque, among others — are also getting nervous because snowpack in the Rockies has been dwindling, and there’s no physical way for them to store the water they depend on. There are no big reservoirs in the Rockies.

In recent weeks, tensions are rising after states in the upper basin sent a strongly worded letter to one of the river’s biggest users, the Central Arizona Water Conservation District, or CAWCD, which supplies water to Tucson and Phoenix. The upper basin states accused the utility of manipulating the complex system that governs Lake Mead in order to get more water. The Arizona utility denied the charges.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Southwest is pretty ed. Low water means severe water restriction, AND lower electricity generation.

US govt should be pouring $Bs into water desal "moon shots", but of course the oligarchy wants to own all the water, like they want to own all the food, and then shake down humans who want to live.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Southwest is pretty ed. Low water means severe water restriction, AND lower electricity generation.

US govt should be pouring $Bs into water desal "moon shots", but of course the oligarchy wants to own all the water, like they want to own all the food, and then shake down humans who want to live.
    And ing BigAmusment charging the out of Human Americans just to go down a slide or wade in a tide pool.
    Schlitterbahn uses more water a day than most major cities.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Occupy Schlitterbahn!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Occupy Schlitterbahn!
    San Padre Island SB failed, for sale, it's all yours.

Then there's the kid decapitated at SB, SB people indicted for criminal manslaughter.

A "Verrückt" year for SB.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count

Of course.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Federal water managers wanted a deal to sign at the annual Colorado River Water Users Association conference beginning Wednesday in Las Vegas, and threatened earlier this year to impose unspecified measures from Washington if a voluntary drought contingency plan wasn’t reached.

However, Bureau of Reclamation Commissioner Brenda Burman is signaling that the agency that controls the levers on the river is willing to wait. She is scheduled to talk to the conference on Thursday.

“Reclamation remains cautiously optimistic that the parties will find a path forward,” the bureau said in a statement on Friday, “because finding a consensus deal recognizing the risks of continuing drought and the benefits of a drought contingency plan is in each state’s best interest.”

Colorado River water supports about 40 million people and millions of acres of farmland in the U.S. and Mexico.

After 19 years of drought and increasing demand, federal water managers project a 52 percent chance that the river’s biggest reservoir, Lake Mead behind Hoover Dam, will fall low enough to trigger cutbacks under agreements governing the system.
    https://www.apnews.com/c23e15b5a22b4b73920ff5bd8fc65821

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    San Padre Island SB failed, for sale, it's all yours.

Then there's the kid decapitated at SB, SB people indicted for criminal manslaughter.

A "Verrückt" year for SB.
    Schlitterbahn is ed and un able.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    US West prepares for possible 1st water shortage declaration

The man-made lakes that store water supplying millions of people in the U.S. West and Mexico are projected to shrink to historic lows in the coming months, dropping to levels that could trigger the federal government’s first-ever official shortage declaration and prompt cuts in Arizona and Nevada.

The U.S. Bureau of Reclamation released 24-month projections this week forecasting that less Colorado River water will cascade down from the Rocky Mountains through Lake Powell and Lake Mead and into the arid deserts of the U.S. Southwest and the Gulf of California. Water levels in the two lakes are expected to plummet low enough for the agency to declare an official shortage for the first time, threatening the supply of Colorado River water that growing cities and farms rely on.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah this mega-drought sucks. Probably only going to get worse unless we get lucky.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

August 7, 2000

August 9, 2021

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Fire up all those desalination plants they built a way's back. Can you imagine it? tee, hee.

Or, have a water pipeline from the water area's to the unwatered areas. WW3 would result.

Or, best yet:::close all the golf courses, the car washes and stop planting produce in the deserts and irrigating them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since oil is piped thousands of miles, cannot water also?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure. Idk what the cost per barrel would be tho.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    San antonio is already piping it hundreds of miles.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SAWS Vista Ridge pipeline is 142 miles long

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Canyon Lake that provides most of the water for Boerne, New Braunfels, San Marcos, Buda, etc will suffer the same fate in your lifetimes.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Canyon Lake that provides most of the water for Boerne, New Braunfels, San Marcos, Buda, etc will suffer the same fate in your lifetimes.
    Why do you say that?

We're in a region that gets recharged with flooding events regularly even during megadroughts

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LA Times --

"On average, Californians reduced water use by just 1.8% statewide during July, compared with the same month last year."

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank goodness we aren't doing anything about this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do you say that?

We're in a region that gets recharged with flooding events regularly even during megadroughts
    Because GBRA continues to add pipelines and expand its pumping of Canyon/Dunlop as people continue to flood the area. They continue to pump it lower and lower. Its one of the fastest growing areas in the US.

Thread Information