Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Props to Darth Pelican for mentioning this.

When I first heard about it, I thought that it had to be a joke. Then when I saw that it was real, I thought there was no way it wouldn't suck.

But I'm 6 episodes in (out of 10 I think) and it's been a fun watch. Definitely cheesy but in a way that makes it funny and nostalgic.

8/10 with the caveat that I don't know how this would play to someone who didn't see the original one.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Chicago Bulls
    How old are you again?

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Ralph Maccio's face has considerably expanded in size and shape
    I didn't even think it was the same actor

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    He's now a Karate Man

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I wouldn't be surprised if he puffed up a little bit for the role so he can show some weight loss during his training.

But maybe I'm overthinking it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The crane kick was a staple of my childhood arsenal

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The crane kick was a staple of my childhood arsenal
    It's not defensible.

Hey...are you in for FF this year?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It's not defensible.

It will probably be a game time decision

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It will probably be a game time decision
    aight

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It was better than expected tbh. I'll watch season two (it has already been renewed). My biggest gripe is that it relies too heavily on coincidence to move the plot along. Other than that, there is some cheesiness you'd expect. I think Daniel and Johnny getting drunk and looking up Ali's facebook page was my favorite scene.

I thought the short episodes were a bit weird at first, but it works. The show didn't over stay its welcome.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It was better than expected tbh. I'll watch season two (it has already been renewed). My biggest gripe is that it relies too heavily on coincidence to move the plot along. Other than that, there is some cheesiness you'd expect. I think Daniel and Johnny getting drunk and looking up Ali's facebook page was my favorite scene.

I thought the short episodes were a bit weird at first, but it works. The show didn't over stay its welcome.
    Yeah on the coincidences. But since I'm already suspending reality, it's not too much to overlook.

My favorite was the spin kick to the Boba tea.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    It's not defensible.

You have to sweep the leg before your opponent can raise arms

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You have to sweep the leg before your opponent can raise arms
    You don't get "not defensible".

You're in the stance from the beginning. You just hop over the attempted sweep. Then pivot hop and wait for the opponent to stand back up.
    Then....KAPOWEE

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Definitely cheesy but in a way that makes it funny and nostalgic.
    Next review!

I'm too old for cheesy shows these days. nostalgia.

Besides, I was never a fan of the kid karate movies. They sucked.

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    College
    LSU Tigers

When I first heard about it, I thought that it had to be a joke. Then when I saw that it was real, I thought there was no way it wouldn't suck.

But I'm 6 episodes in (out of 10 I think) and it's been a fun watch. Definitely cheesy but in a way that makes it funny and nostalgic.

8/10 with the caveat that I don't know how this would play to someone who didn't see the original one.
    I'm glad you're enjoying it. I agree with the 8/10 rating. I love the 30 minute episode format as well; it keeps the show moving at a fast pace without any particular scene or subplot dragging too slowly. I also like how Johnny is now painted as the good guy most of the time and Daniel is now the y asshole.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    College
    LSU Tigers

"I bet that guy is an asshole" (referring to her husband)

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Next review!

I'm too old for cheesy shows these days. nostalgia.

Besides, I was never a fan of the kid karate movies. They sucked.

Lol. I know this one isn't for everybody.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm glad you're enjoying it. I agree with the 8/10 rating. I love the 30 minute episode format as well; it keeps the show moving at a fast pace without any particular scene or subplot dragging too slowly. I also like how Johnny is now painted as the good guy most of the time and Daniel is now the y asshole.
    It's just what I needed. I've watched so many police and crime noir series that they start to run together. I agree about the 30 minute length. It's perfect for this show.

Yeah on the role reversal. Also the fact that Johnny didn't just turn around in one episode. And giving his backstory as well.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    You don't get "not defensible".

You're in the stance from the beginning. You just hop over the attempted sweep. Then pivot hop and wait for the opponent to stand back up.
    Then....KAPOWEE
    You're right. I watched the clip and he is in the stance from the get-go. It's better than bo Jackson super tecmo bowl.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    College
    LSU Tigers

Damn, that final scene in season 2 and the Cruel Summer cover was good stuff.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Damn, that final scene in season 2 and the Cruel Summer cover was good stuff.
    Oh . I wasn’t even aware Season 2 was out. As soon as the Spurs are out of the playoffs, I’ll be checking it out.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Oh . I wasn’t even aware Season 2 was out. As soon as the Spurs are out of the playoffs, I’ll be checking it out.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    How old are you again?
    This a forum that revels in Marvel movies.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I actually see them both painted as completely sympathetic characters. It is easier for me to connect to Johnny's situation than Daniel's for simple economic reasons. Daniel does sometimes behave like a y asshole, but I think that like Johnny, he has been struggling to connect to what is important to him and to be taken seriously by people around him. He seems to have respect on the surface, but a lot of people are openly disrespectful of his passion for karate (i.e. asserting it is a sales gimmick or his gi is a "costume"). Through their rivalry, they are able to grow as individuals and become more authentic, actualized versions of themselves.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Pretty good series, tbh. Has that cheesy 80s action movie vibe like the actors (mostly Zabka aka Johnny) never moved on from Karate Kid. I'm a bit worried they'll abandon that moral gray area of who is the real good guy between Johnny and Daniel, tbh.

This pretty much sums up the series

Thread Information