Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Having first watched MJ at his peak, I never thought anyone could match him or surpass him. LeBron didn't revolutionize basketball or have his raw athleticism and isn't as clutch but he certainly belongs on the Mount Rushmore of greatest players ever.

I haven't seen a player will a team to victory and lofty heights since MJ. And LeBron was a Batman that needed no Robin, unlike Jordan who never won a playoff series without Scottie.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dad Killer was better at his peak and has a better resume(due to cir stances), but he was missing the playoffs with the Wizards in even worse Eastern conferences while LeBron is making the Finals with Jeff Green as his 2nd best player

Jordan may not even have been the best player on those Wizards teams, too..pathetic..

Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Forget the Wizards. What LeBron is doing is better because of his supporting cast.

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dad Killer was better at his peak and has a better resume(due to cir stances), but he was missing the playoffs with the Wizards in even worse Eastern conferences while LeBron is making the Finals with Jeff Green as his 2nd best player

Jordan may not even have been the best player on those Wizards teams, too..pathetic..
    Yeah, you can't compare the Wizards years because even Jordan admitted he was pretty much just playing for fun by that point. Definitely not for money in any case. Not to mention, he was 39-40 by then which is a LOT different from Lebron being 33.

I believe Larry Hughes () was his best teammate in the Wizards years. There really wasn't anyone who could shoot on those Wizards teams, either. And... Jordan was 39-40. Playing for exhibition. Not really comparable.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, you can't compare the Wizards years because even Jordan admitted he was pretty much just playing for fun by that point. Definitely not for money in any case. Not to mention, he was 39-40 by then which is a LOT different from Lebron being 33.

I believe Larry Hughes () was his best teammate in the Wizards years. There really wasn't anyone who could shoot on those Wizards teams, either. And... Jordan was 39-40. Playing for exhibition. Not really comparable.
    Current LeBron is the equivalent of Wizards Jordan from a mileage perspective..

Veteran
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    It’s called recency bias

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lebron didn't quit in the middle of his career and was left for dead by his dad, not the other way around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s called recency bias
    Just the opposite actually. Who did we compare Mike to and how long did we hold on to that benchmark before we let Mike in? Dr J? What the did he ever do anywhere close to Lebron?

Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Oh would you guys stop and stick to basketball. Jordan was probably a s bag. I'm talking strictly on the court.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    this ty argument again

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    DK didn't "revolutionize" anything other than marketing. He modeled his game after David Thompson, Jerry West and Dr. J - but especially Thompson, his favorite player growing up. His stans act like he invented the sport or something.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this ty argument again
    Why is it a ty argument?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Correct, because Jordan had UNC, almost 2 years off to play baseball, and his final retirement from compe ive basketball in '98.

But age in years does matter more than mileage, analytics and health scientists will say.

Veteran
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    I have to say though, Lebron should get credit for his dedication to stay in amazing shape throughout his career. In a career filled with achievements, the most remarkable is that he has never been seriously hurt. He exceeded past the typical NBA lifespan.

Jordan was known as a cigar aficionado, regularly drinks alcohol and stays up late to gamble.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DK didn't "revolutionize" anything other than marketing. He modeled his game after David Thompson, Jerry West and Dr. J - but especially Thompson, his favorite player growing up. His stans act like he invented the sport or something.
    David Thompson, lol... one of the best scrubs in an era of scrubs where nobody really cared about basketball.

Post Wilt, Russell, Willis Reed... pre-Magic and Bird... is widely considered the dark age of basketball. Isoball, drugs, empty seats, and TV blackouts. Oh, and Carter regime stagflation.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Why is it a ty argument?
    Because after a certain point, regardless of minutes played, age is just the biggest factor...

trying to equate a 33yo Lebron still in his prime to a 40yo MJ coming out of retirement

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have to say though, Lebron should get credit for his dedication to stay in amazing shape throughout his career. In a career filled with achievements, the most remarkable is that he has never been seriously hurt. He exceeded past the typical NBA lifespan.

Jordan was known as a cigar aficionado, regularly drinks alcohol and stays up late to gamble.
    Jordan has always smoked, drank, chewed tobacco, and hung out with exotic women. He's an old school soul.

Lebron is a basketball god, dedicated to himself and basketball and his legacy beyond anything else. It absorbs 99% of his life. I firmly believe he doesn't take steroids, drugs beyond the ever-occasional joint, tobacco, or much alcohol. He cares about himself long-term too much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lebron didn't quit in the middle of his career and was left for dead by his dad, not the other way around.
    agreed

Lebron is the goat due to longevity

People will always bring up the 6/6 vs. 3/8 or whatever, perhaps 3/9 this year, but he has carried not just his team but the entire Eastern Conference this generation, without him Silver would have merged the conferences already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What’s funny about this debate is the media is still run by much older fans that all saw Michael Jordan play, and a lot of them are very much blinded by the nostalgia of when he played and who he played against. Younger fans that never saw him play will basically say that LeBron is the best of all time. Because he was on top for so many years. They really don’t know anything about Michael Jordan.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What’s funny about this debate is the media is still run by much older fans that all saw Michael Jordan play, and a lot of them are very much blinded by the nostalgia of when he played and who he played against. Younger fans that never saw him play will basically say that LeBron is the best of all time. Because he was on top for so many years. They really don’t know anything about Michael Jordan.
    Realistically, trolling aside, comparing players in completely different eras is pretty stupid IMO..different rules, style, compe ion, cir stances..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ True. No one passes anyone.

Jordan will still be the icon for greatness. Tomorrow, no one will say "you're the Lebron James of.." as an indication of greatness. Mike's name is synonymous with elite level greatness, and Lebron might one day have that said about him but it will be long after he retires. Either way it says nothing about how good either player is or was. It just says their play was far above anyone else in the game. It also matters how they position themselves in business to take advantage of it. Nike had a lot to do with Mike's fame.

Veteran
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Jordan has always smoked, drank, chewed tobacco, and hung out with exotic women. He's an old school soul.

Lebron is a basketball god, dedicated to himself and basketball and his legacy beyond anything else. It absorbs 99% of his life. I firmly believe he doesn't take steroids, drugs beyond the ever-occasional joint, tobacco, or much alcohol. He cares about himself long-term too much.
    Yeah, that's probably one of the most overlooked trait in his career. You can nitpick but it's dishonest to take away his body of work.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

jordan's only advantage at this point is his ability to sell overpriced sneakers to inner city kids other than that lebron pretty much destroys mike in all categories on and off the court.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    agreed

Lebron is the goat due to longevity

People will always bring up the 6/6 vs. 3/8 or whatever, perhaps 3/9 this year, but he has carried not just his team but the entire Eastern Conference this generation, without him Silver would have merged the conferences already.
    That stat matters but it's mostly cir stantial. Lakers lost 15 times in the Finals. Jerry West lost 9 Finals. You have to get there to lose.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Realistically, trolling aside, comparing players in completely different eras is pretty stupid IMO..different rules, style, compe ion, cir stances..
    I feel the same way. Whenever I hear about why Michael Jordan is the best of all time people like that trolling clown skip constantly say he won six championships and never lost in the finals. But statistically speaking Chamberlain dominated his particular era like nobody ever in history. But his team during his prime was pretty bad. It was the Wilt show. So if Michael Jordan was playing on those exact same teams how many championships does he produce? Probably not that many. So yes comparing the different times is ridiculous.

Thread Information