Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    EDIT LE: PG + C together led teams do not win. As a combination traditional PG and a traditional C aren't the best ways to build a team.

My team

PG: Shaun Livingston
    SG: Jimmy Butler
    SF: Kevin Durant
    PF: Kawhi Leonard
    C: Chris Bosh

My team would beat any team that had any of the following point guards (choose 1) AND any of the following centres (choose 1)
    PG: Steve Nash, Chris Paul, John Stockton, Tony Parker, Steph Curry
    C: Shaquille O'Neal, Dwight Howard, Yao Ming, Kareem, Vlade, Brook Lopez

You can have any 3 other players in the history of the world, and you'd still lose.

Why? Basketball is a game of mismatches. Anomalies on the court (aka small PGs and big C's) have areas of the court where they cannot defend.

Offensively, I can take advantage of players like 'Shaq' by 1) Putting a big man like Chris Bosh in the corner 3 to draw out 'Shaq', and by forcing a switch on the pick and roll to similarly draw out 'Shaq'. I can take advantage of players like 'Nash' by 1) Posting up my PG Sean Livingston, and by forcing a switch on the pick and roll to let anyone else on my team post up 'Nash'.

Defensively, the only advantage players like Chris Paul, Nash, Stockton have is the pick and roll. They force you to switch, to help, etc and use their passing ability to kick to the corner three or find the roll man. If you have my lineup, I would never have to switch and never have to help. No threes or layups created by setting a pick for Stockton or Nash or Paul.

Rebounding: The ball can bounce towards any area of the court on a missed shot. I need all 5 of my players to be good on the boards.

Fast Break: You can't have only 1 player being able to lead the break and having to hand the ball to this PG every time. You also cannot have a fast break with only 3 or 4 players able to run and have your C walking up the court.

Basketball is all about spacing and mismatches. Having 5 players who can stand anywhere on the court and score and can stand anywhere on the court and defend that area is where the NBA is going. Building a team of 6'7 players with a 7'3 wingspans that have adequate dribbling, passing, shooting, and can defend is the key.

In the advanced stats NBA, any weakness can be exploited. It is important that all 5 players can defend all areas and can score in all areas. Traditional PGs and Cs fail at this miserably.

Spurs get this. Kawhi Leonard, Davis Bertans, Austin Daye, Jean Charles Livio, Danny Green, Boris Diaw are all examples of where this is going. Teams drafting Jimmer Fredette, Cody Zeller, Greg Oden, Derrick Rose, Ricky Rubio, Alex Lin just do not understand how to build a team. Teams like the Clippers and Memphis (Paul - Blake - Jordan) and (Conley - Randolph - Gasol) have zero chance to win a le. Both are strong at PG and C and weak on versatility.
    Last edited by Gino-Step; 03-23-2014 at 08:23 PM.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    is it possible that we haven't seen a PG led team win a le because its been decades since the best player in the league was a pg? there isn't something inherently wrong with the point guard position...

Banned
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Yeah going with Chris Bosh over Prime Shaq is a good option.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Magic Johnson does not count as PG. He's like LeBron / Shaun Livingston by my definition. He's actually huge. My point is geared towards the fact that you cannot have a tiny guy that can be abused or a big stiff that can be abused. Key is versatility to avoid mismatches.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Comparing Magic and LeBron to Shaun ing Livingston

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since 2004:

1 + 4/5 combinations lose
    Brook Lopez + Deron Williams
    Dwight Howard + Nash
    Blake + Paul
    Amare + Nash
    Bogut + Curry
    Yao + Francis
    Ilgauskas + LeBron

2-3-4 combinations win.
    Wade + LeBron + Bosh
    Harden + Durant + Ibaka
    Stephenson + George + West
    Ginobili/Green + Kawhi + Splitter/Diaw
    Ginobili + Bowen + Duncan (mobile version)
    Ray Allen + Paul Pierce + Kevin Garnett
    Kobe + Odom + Pau
    Hamilton + Tayshaun + Rasheed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What the ing ??

Hope you're not srs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Btw Spurs won a le in 2007 with Duncan playing C and their PG winning a Finals MVP

/thread

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Comparing Magic and LeBron to Shaun ing Livingston
    Um... yea... They are all 6'7-6'9. Livingston in that sense is much closer to Magic than Nash, Stockton, Chris Paul etc. My point is all about mismatches.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chris Paul/Michael Jordan/LeBron James/Dirk Nowitzki/Shaquille O'Neal

You really think your ty team is going to stop that?

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Um... yea... They are all 6'7-6'9. Livingston in that sense is much closer to Magic than Nash, Stockton, Chris Paul etc. My point is all about mismatches.
    I don't care how big he is, Livingston - an okay role player who is coming off one of the most greusome knee injuries in NBA history - is not a bigger mismatch than Nash, Stockton, or CP3

And if you want to talk about mismatches, prime Shaq was a mismatch for pretty much everybody - but he was a center, so he doesn't fit in to your terrible take

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Btw Spurs won a le in 2007 with Duncan playing C and their PG winning a Finals MVP

/thread
    To be fair, Duncan was the real Finals MVP that year, Enrique just padded stats against Boobie Gibson

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shaq would average 70ppg with Chris ing Bosh guarding him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be fair, Duncan was the real Finals MVP that year, Enrique just padded stats against Boobie Gibson
    Agreed tbh but since then it's pretty clear to non-Manu and Enrique hater Spurfans that this is a PG/C led team imo

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Shaq would average 70ppg with Chris ing Bosh guarding him
    Kobe would have to pass the ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kobe would have to pass the ball.
    tbh that's why I picked you to be on my team He said I had to pick from the legendary PGs and Cs he listed and then any other 3 players in the history of the world

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't care how big he is, Livingston - an okay role player who is coming off one of the most greusome knee injuries in NBA history - is not a bigger mismatch than Nash, Stockton, or CP3

And if you want to talk about mismatches, prime Shaq was a mismatch for pretty much everybody - but he was a center, so he doesn't fit in to your terrible take
    Klay Thompson and LeBron James stops Tony Parker.
    Danny Green and Kawhi Leonard stops Steph Curry.

Chris Bosh and LeBron at the 4/5 spot forces one of Tim Duncan and Tiago Splitter to sit down.
    Steph Curry coming off the pick and roll forces Tim Duncan to sit down. Freaking Game 6 forces Tim Duncan to sit down. Think about that!

There is not a thing you can do to render Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler, Kevin Durant, Sean Livingston, or Chris Bosh useless. That's my point.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Center led teams don't win championships?

Shaq
    Hakim
    Robinson (Who was a beast in his last season)

Just to name a few. Ya'll s is losing yourself over this small ball bs, only Lebron and Wade can make that work.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Center led teams don't win championships?

Shaq
    Hakim
    Robinson (Who was a beast in his last season)

Just to name a few. Ya'll s is losing yourself over this small ball bs, only Lebron and Wade can make that work.
    Come on son, the Spurs were led by Duncan, even though Robinson was still servicable, he didn't lead them anywhere except to an anal destruction by Hakeem.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Come on son, the Spurs were led by Duncan, even though Robinson was still servicable, he didn't lead them anywhere except to an anal destruction by Hakeem.
    But the point of the thread is re ed. Everyone knows PG led teams suck ass and Center led teams do win championships. However, the current model of the NBA is soft pussies that run up and down fast and draw fouls.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I purposefully did not include Hakeem because he's 6'9 and mobile as .

Today's NBA is all about mismatches. You can put Shaq in a bad position. Imagine him having to guard Steph Curry off a dribble pick and roll. I'd much rather have Tiago Splitter or Hakeem in that defensive situation for example.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you forget that prime Shaq is a mismatch for your entire team? He would score the ball on every single possession.

My Team
    Orlando Magic
    Post Count
    I understand the OP's point but he's relying on jump shooting to win games, while the opposing team is relying on much higher percentage dunks and layups. If you don't double Shaq, he scores every trip. You get a team shooting 70% and you're not going to beat them with jumpshooting.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    There is not a thing you can do to render Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler, Kevin Durant, Sean Livingston, or Chris Bosh useless. That's my point.
    Leonard, Butler, and Livingston are nowhere near go-to scorers and Bosh is soft and inconsistent.... opposing teams can just let Durant get his and shut down everyone else....

Your take is re ed, deal with it

Thread Information