My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Woj saying it's unlikely the Spurs trade Kawhi to the Lakers

https://streamable.com/wsuns

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sort of...if he doesn't extend with the team he gets traded to, then his next contract as a free agent would be about $140MM...I believe (someone correct me on this) he'll leave around $40MM on the table under that scenario (in addition to the $40MM he would have lost on the SuperMax)...so how much of a loaner would he really be?
    It goes from $219M to $188M over 5 years, or $31M. From there it goes down to $139M over 4 year max contract if he doesn't re-sign.

So in essence it's $80M, spread out over 1 fewer year by $31M (for supermax) and $49M (and for max) respectively

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let’s wait for Kawhi to choke his uncle with his gigantic hands when he realizes this

SA fan since 03 playoffs spursparker9's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't tell if that gif is for Kawhi not being dealt to the Lakers or him still staying in SA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldrdige didn’t leave small market, not good enough Portland, to be in small market, even worse team San Antonio. He’ want out too
    I thought we had a chance at Lebron to compete for a ring, instead we’ll be competing with the Suns and Kings

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yeah it seems highly unlikely.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Correct me if this is wrong but didn't Kawhi injure himself.
    Now he is mad, potentially $80 million mad because the team was uncomfortable by that.

He lost trust the Front Office and now he might get sent to Sactown with Divac in charge or Philly which just fired its president because he was using burner accounts on twitter to leak sensitive information about the organization. Or the Lakers where he will be hounded by the media and bombarded by LaVar Ball questions all day, every day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn man I want to believe all this ain’t true and that he’s still the Kawhi we thought he was

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let’s wait for Kawhi to choke his uncle with his gigantic hands when he realizes this
    Lol. You might be on to something. Woj reporting even at this late hour that Spurs and Leonard may still find a solution. No way I keep that fool. No ing way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, this is a power move by Kawhi's camp to extract the supermax from the Spurs. The Spurs won't trade him. The way I see it, the two most likely scenarios are:

1. The Spurs have face-to-face meeting with him and give him the supermax his camp has wanted all along.
    2. They play out the season, keep him on the team for another year, then offer him the supermax next summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

jk that autistic

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He lost trust the Front Office and now he might get sent to Sactown with Divac in charge or Philly which just fired its president because he was using burner accounts on twitter to leak sensitive information about the organization. Or the Lakers where he will be hounded by the media and bombarded by LaVar Ball questions all day, every day.
    That's what you get when you're not willing to take a paycut in SA. You dont mess with Pop. "Take less Kawhi, or you will play for those scrubs"

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It goes from $219M to $188M over 5 years, or $31M. From there it goes down to $139M over 4 year max contract if he doesn't re-sign.

So in essence it's $80M, spread out over 1 fewer year by $31M (for supermax) and $49M (and for max) respectively
    Thanks for those numbers. So how much of a loaner would Kawhi really be? Would he walk away from $49 after losing out on $31? Does he really think he'll recoup all that foregone income?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DPG doin the Lords work on twitter...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

jk that autistic

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for those numbers. So how much of a loaner would Kawhi really be? Would he walk away from $49 after losing out on $31? Does he really think he'll recoup all that foregone income?
    If we sent him to NBA ?? I think he would walk away from that extra year and $49M. Dwight Howard did. Lol, I just realized that in the case of DHoward, NBA = Lakers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, this is a desperate move by Kawhi's camp to extract the supermax from the Spurs. However, the Spurs will trade him.
    Fixed.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, this is a power move by Kawhi's camp to extract the supermax from the Spurs. The Spurs won't trade him. The way I see it, the two most likely scenarios are:

1. The Spurs have face-to-face meeting with him and give him the supermax his camp has wanted all along.
    2. They play out the season, keep him on the team for another year, then offer him the supermax next summer.
    This is just so much amateur hour on Kawhi's part...if the Supermax is off the table, then still work it out so that you still get the maximum amount you can from the franchise that's nurtured you...not antagonize the person holding the money bag...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we sent him to NBA ?? I think he would walk away from that extra year and $49M. Dwight Howard did. Lol, I just realized that in the case of DHoward, NBA = Lakers.
    That'd be something. Waste away another year of your prime (after already sitting out one year) in NBA , and then end up losing $80MM of guaranteed money. It's as if his agent doesn't know how all this works at all...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

And if he does not qualify for the supermax next year?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That'd be something. Waste away another year of your prime (after already sitting out one year) in NBA , and then end up losing $80MM of guaranteed money. It's as if his agent doesn't know how all this works at all...
    Bingo. It's why there's evidently some backtracking going on as we speak.

I actually wouldn't be shocked if they work something out. Kawhi and his camp just realized there are actual adults in the room. They thought they were going to force a supermax with boorish behavior. Like a 4 year old girl (source: I've got one).

Instead, they ran into a gotdamn brick wall of PATFO. If I'm them I trade this fool. No way do I deal with the represenentation Kawhi is trying to roll with. Not after this . No ing way.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bingo. It's why there's evidently some backtracking going on as we speak.

I actually wouldn't be shocked if they work something out. Kawhi and his camp just realized there are actual adults in the room. They thought they were going to force a supermax with boorish behavior. Like a 4 year old girl (source: I've got one).

Instead, they ran into a gotdamn brick wall of PATFO. If I'm them I trade this fool. No way do I deal with the represenentation Kawhi is trying to roll with. Not after this . No ing way.
    Right? How do you work with this for the next 4-5 years, particularly if he's your best player taking up the biggest chunk of your salary cap? It's way too much risk, I would think. In some ways this feels quite a bit like the Jonathan Simmons mess last summer--who also had an agent who had no idea what he was doing.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At the end of the day it reminds Spurs fans that there will always be only one Tim Duncan. He was the ultimate teammate and was never jealous of the success of his teammates. Pop was in tears at Tim’s retirement because he knew would never be the same.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vivek and Divac seems like the type of guys who'd trade the 2nd overall pick for 1 year superstar rental..

Thread Information