Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he is still available, this guy would fill in our roster quite nicely. A young core of athletic guys to rebuild with. Put Poetlige at center, Duren at PF, Keldon, Vassel and Murray. I think we will be awesome and competing at the top in two seasons.

What do yall think?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...n-duren-1.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Duren is even close to a PF, but he's certainly someone the team has to look at if they do pick at 9. He's insanely developed for a guy who's still so young and raw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duren doesn’t play power forward. If you draft him to be the backup center/future starter that’s fine but the team would score 90 points a game having him and Poetl in the starting lineup.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like him. I’d even move up to 7 for him. Poodle would have to go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the question is what are the team needs that can't be addressed with a later pick or via free agency? And I keep coming to the conclusion that center isn't one of them.

For one, there's Poeltl, who I think is a better than average center. But it's a fact that he's one year removed from free agency, so it would make sense to add to the center depth. Even so, I believe you're likely to find a reasonable alternative somewhere in the 20s or later... say Mark Williams, Walker Kessler, Koloko, Kamagate, etc. two or more will likely fall to the mid 20s, you may even find one available come the Lakers' 2nd rounder. Also, there's the free agency and trade route, where I believe a decent replacement could be had without breaking the bank or giving up significant assets.

On the other hand, we're starving for long, athletic, versatile forwards with two way potential, like Eason or Sochan. Those are MUCH harder to find latter in the draft or to address via free agency, and there's significantly more opportunity to play them: at SF in a big line up, as center in a small ball lineup... in the modern game there's always room for those, whereas a traditional center often finds itself out of place in certain situations. There are also big, skilled forwards with all around playmaking and scoring potential like Jovic that should be considered.

In conclusion, even though there's no denying Duren is physically a beast and very young, skill wise he's extremely raw and his offensive game is limited to alley oops and put backs. So unless you're confident he'll develop some kind of offensive game or that he's going to become an DPOY kind of player, I think the first pick would be much better spent addressing other needs than center.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The hole at PF is why the Spurs drafted Samanic, tried to sign Morris, and signed Lyles later that offseason. Too bad Samanic didn't have the personality/at ude to stick around, Morris ed out, and Lyles just wasn't good enough.

With three firsts the Spurs have to swing for another one if they don't jump into the top 4.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duren can't play the 4. If they're drafting for pure fit, I'd say Sochan. They generally go with who they think best available is, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why the does Spurstalk think every 5 can play 4

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like him. I’d even move up to 7 for him. Poodle would have to go.
    I actually believe we'll revisit that possible trade with Poetl around draft night.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the question is what are the team needs that can't be addressed with a later pick or via free agency? And I keep coming to the conclusion that center isn't one of them.

For one, there's Poeltl, who I think is a better than average center. But it's a fact that he's one year removed from free agency, so it would make sense to add to the center depth. Even so, I believe you're likely to find a reasonable alternative somewhere in the 20s or later... say Mark Williams, Walker Kessler, Koloko, Kamagate, etc. two or more will likely fall to the mid 20s, you may even find one available come the Lakers' 2nd rounder. Also, there's the free agency and trade route, where I believe a decent replacement could be had without breaking the bank or giving up significant assets.

On the other hand, we're starving for long, athletic, versatile forwards with two way potential, like Eason or Sochan. Those are MUCH harder to find latter in the draft or to address via free agency, and there's significantly more opportunity to play them: at SF in a big line up, as center in a small ball lineup... in the modern game there's always room for those, whereas a traditional center often finds itself out of place in certain situations. There are also big, skilled forwards with all around playmaking and scoring potential like Jovic that should be considered.

In conclusion, even though there's no denying Duren is physically a beast and very young, skill wise he's extremely raw and his offensive game is limited to alley oops and put backs. So unless you're confident he'll develop some kind of offensive game or that he's going to become an DPOY kind of player, I think the first pick would be much better spent addressing other needs than center.
    Unless we jump to the top 4, your scenario would have us settling at both front court positions. Here’s what we need:

The summer of the Jalens. Sign Smith, draft Duren, and put him on the development track. He can apprentice behind Zollins for a year or two after we move Poeltl for assets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless we jump to the top 4, your scenario would have us settling at both front court positions. Here’s what we need:

The summer of the Jalens. Sign Smith, draft Duren, and put him on the development track. He can apprentice behind Zollins for a year or two after we move Poeltl for assets.
    Sochan can play the 3 and the 4, he's team oriented, super smart and unselfish, excellent on defense, good passer, and if he keeps improving his shot he's a player that will find a place on any team, at any time. Jalen Smith I mentioned already, he's very young and has plenty of promise, getting him would be drafting a lottery pick without having to waste two years developing him. I think he'd be a very welcome addition. I'm just not that high on Duren, he seems way too raw... I prefer more skilled players. But I can see the appeal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    alot more better talent than duren at spurs first expected pick

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pass on Duren. He doesn’t even dunk with his left hand. Develop a jump shot? He has to develop a left-handed lay-up. He’d make us long for Poeltl’s extensive scoring repertoire in no time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What about Sochan, Jovic, and Eason in the first round.....would that be a good draft or a poor one?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What about Sochan, Jovic, and Eason in the first round.....would that be a good draft or a poor one?
    If we don't get a top 4 pick, I don't think we could do any better than that. In fact, I don't think we can do that... I'd settle for 2 of those 3.

My Girl's a Hooper keithington1's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duren and Liddell would be nice in the starting lineup.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duren is probably 6'10 for Center
    Liddell is 6'7 for PF

I thought we wanted to get bigger at positions?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duren is probably 6'10 for Center
    Liddell is 6'7 for PF

I thought we wanted to get bigger at positions?
    Lidell is 6-5.5', but he plays bigger. He's not my first option, but in the 20s he's not a bad pickup at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m trying to read his body language on this training session. Sometimes he’s lost or disinterested (towards the end when he’s asked to do a fake and reverse layup).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why the does Spurstalk think every 5 can play 4
    This is super weird. It seems some people haven't watched actual basketball for 15 years.

On Duren. He's an interesting project because of his NBA body but it's very difficult for us armchair GMs to evaluate whether he could develop the NBA skills required in order to be worth a lottery pick. He has a lot of holes in his game currently, but he has age on his side. Must be one of the most difficult players for scouts to project in this year's draft. He's also definitely not 6'11, maybe 6'9, maybe.

He has shown a lot of flashes - a semblance of a jump shot, court vision and passing, etc. but he does seem a bit slow footed to be a good switchable defender on the perimeter. Now, there are archetypes of this kind who were bad at it but developed such as Robert Williams, but this is where us message board scouts have no way to be able to project that other than guesswork. His jump shot doesn't seem broken or weird but he barely shoots, he has a little bit of a right hook shot around the rim but he completely lacks a left hand. Like at all. He uses his right hand only regardless of where he is around the rim. His passing is intriguing and it might be his swing skill but again he's not had enough opportunities in Memphis to show enough of it. His rebounding and rim protection will translate, but he can still be foul prone, which is normal for young bigs.

I think his ceiling is a Bam Adebayo type but his floor is your average minimum contract rim running athlete and this is quite the range for a lottery pick. Spurs generally scout well though, so I'd be happy if they actually draft him but I doubt they would. It's a very weak draft anyway, so who knows, but I'd prefer someone more skilled.
    Last edited by BG_Spurs_Fan; 04-15-2022 at 08:02 AM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you haven't watched a game in decades to suggest that front court.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know why people said duren is 6'9

I just read 10 scouting reports( google : duren scouting report). The lowest is 6'9 1/2 in one site but other than that it's 6'10 Or 6'11 plus the 7'5 Wingspan.

He definitely has the size and the body of a modern C.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you haven't watched a game in decades to suggest that front court.
    Everyone whining about the Spurs not having size up front...............so there, you will have size now. We have plenty of wings, so why not go bigger. Spurs will not be able to grab Jabari Smith or Chet, so who is the next fit? Banchero? He will be gone to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone whining about the Spurs not having size up front...............so there, you will have size now. We have plenty of wings, so why not go bigger. Spurs will not be able to grab Jabari Smith or Chet, so who is the next fit? Banchero? He will be gone to.
    The difference between those guys and Duren is that Duren can’t shoot and isn’t as quick on the perimeter. If you play Duren with a non-shooting center, that’s ugly basketball nowadays.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The difference between those guys and Duren is that Duren can’t shoot and isn’t as quick on the perimeter. If you play Duren with a non-shooting center, that’s ugly basketball nowadays.
    You talking about this guy?

Awards
    2021-22 AAC All-Freshman
    2021-22 AAC Rookie of the Year
    2021-22 All-AAC - 1st Team
    2021-22 Wooden Award - Preseason
    2022 All-AAC Tournament

Thread Information