Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was legit pissed that Minny took Diop but Metu looks good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's listed at 6'11 tho??
    cause players usually have shoes on

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would have preferred to gamble on Kulboka or Antetokounmpo as projects. Low risk, high reward at the 2nd round.

Very happy with Walker though, I see a bit of Bradley Beal and a little Victor Oladipo in him.

Should try out Haas and McCoy, both undrafted Center that can clog the lane.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    cause players usually have shoes on
    Measured 6'9-1/2" with shoes on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unique name hey, let's call him the Black Jaguar!!!!

Those moves he displayed were fairly advanced. On one play he pump faked and drove from the line to the charge line and hit a floater. On another he brought the ball up the floor and saw an open shooter in the corner and hit him for an open look.

He also looked like he had good touch around the rim and good post skill, including a play where he spun baseline and hit a turn around jumper.

Duncan could definitely help his development, with his post game, setting [illegal] screens and rim protection. Really solid pick and not too old, just turned 21 three months ago.

Never tell me the odds- Kuestmaster's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Cheetos Metoo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those moves he displayed were fairly advanced. On one play he pump faked and drove from the line to the charge line and hit a floater. On another he brought the ball up the floor and saw an open shooter in the corner and hit him for an open look.

He also looked like he had good touch around the rim and good post skill, including a play where he spun baseline and hit a turn around jumper.

Duncan could definitely help his development, with his post game, setting [illegal] screens and rim protection. Really solid pick and not too old, just turned 21 three months ago.
    I had the opposite reaction. I didn't really like what I saw. Dude is a power-forward, even in the modern game, and I think his skill level is still way too raw for him to succeed there. I loved his willingness to use his athleticism, but I don't think he's all that great of an athlete. He can shoot, but only out to like 20 feet, which is pretty useless unless he's elite at it. He can handle the ball, but I don't think he can do so at an NBA level, especially for a perimeter-oriented PF. I don't think is handles are better than Joff's for example, and no one here would think that was one of Lauvergne's strength. He's a smart dude by all accounts, and that seems to be the case on the court too. But his age is a concern. He's less developed than I'd like for a guy who will be 22 soon.

Obviously, he still has a ceiling, and working out what he can do best in the pros and giving him a plan on how to fit that role is key to his success. I'm just not sure what that would be. I do feel, however, that SA needs to bring in a new five, even if (and I hope this happens) they sign Metu to a real contract. Metu just isn't a five and should only play there spot minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I'd be interested to know if Kawhi watched the draft or if Uncle Robertson had his TV watching turned off so Kawhi could go to bed.

The team has no depth at the back up 5, so unless he looks like total trash in SL & training camp, I think he'll make the 17 man roster.

Didn't realize he lack height and the wingspan needed to play center at the NBA level, so he likely be a developmental PF/(occasionally)C. Still I like the athleticism he displays and that is more than I can say of Anderson, Joff or Costello. Who I hope don't return, TBH.

Now, actual minutes on the NBA team is a completely different story.....
    Last edited by J_Paco; 06-22-2018 at 02:35 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I had the opposite reaction. I didn't really like what I saw. Dude is a power-forward, even in the modern game, and I think his skill level is still way too raw for him to succeed there. I loved his willingness to use his athleticism, but I don't think he's all that great of an athlete. He can shoot, but only out to like 20 feet, which is pretty useless unless he's elite at it. He can handle the ball, but I don't think he can do so at an NBA level, especially for a perimeter-oriented PF. I don't think is handles are better than Joff's for example, and no one here would think that was one of Lauvergne's strength. He's a smart dude by all accounts, and that seems to be the case on the court too. But his age is a concern. He's less developed than I'd like for a guy who will be 22 soon.

Obviously, he still has a ceiling, and working out what he can do best in the pros and giving him a plan on how to fit that role is key to his success. I'm just not sure what that would be. I do feel, however, that SA needs to bring in a new five, even if (and I hope this happens) they sign Metu to a real contract. Metu just isn't a five and should only play there spot minutes.
    I agree with the fact that he's raw a the time but he's just 21 and could develop his skills..... imo he's a good athlete, above average after seeing all his athlethics tests during the combine so he has the tools, we just have to make him better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with the fact that he's raw a the time but he's just 21 and could develop his skills..... imo he's a good athlete, above average after seeing all his athlethics tests during the combine so he has the tools, we just have to make him better.
    I think he's a fine athlete, the most athletic big on the team right now. But he's not an athlete like Walker is. He's definitely not too old to develop his skills. But he's too old to just assume his skills will develop as he ages. I also think you have to ask yourself if you want to "waste time" trying to develop his perimeter skills if you want him to be a small-ball, roll-man center. And you have to ask yourself if you want him focusing on his post moves (which really need work) when he doesn't have NBA range as a spot-up guy? Just so many questions. I want that dude living LMA's house. Aldridge can help him work on some skills and bulk up (LMA came into the league as combo-forward)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he's a fine athlete, the most athletic big on the team right now. But he's not an athlete like Walker is. He's definitely not too old to develop his skills. But he's too old to just assume his skills will develop as he ages. I also think you have to ask yourself if you want to "waste time" trying to develop his perimeter skills if you want him to be a small-ball, roll-man center. And you have to ask yourself if you want him focusing on his post moves (which really need work) when he doesn't have NBA range as a spot-up guy? Just so many questions. I want that dude living LMA's house. Aldridge can help him work on some skills and bulk up (LMA came into the league as combo-forward)
    Totally agree

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reminds me skal labissiere from the kings or a very poor man's john collins...

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    6'8.5" without shoes is fine for a backup C in todays NBA.. makes him about your regular 6'10" by NBA standards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So we got poor man's Donovan Mitc and Clint Capela in this draft? I'll take it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    48 was Diop. And yeah, I really liked him. Many of he had him as a possibility for 18th, tbh.
    47th not 48th, yea. Mykhailiuk would be too high at 18. He's probably a weak defender and likely mainly just a spot-up shooter despite some flashes of athleticism.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they keep him mostly at PF and set him up with back door and alley oops like Houston does with Capella I would be very happy. If you look at Capella he really started to show his strength when he had a PG who could get him easy dunks and good sets. lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Metu is a center in the NBA. And I don't think he lacks athleticism.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    #Metu or Metu World Peace, Ron is that really you?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Classic 2nd round pick. Athletic but raw and maybe undersized. Play overseas or In Austin and iffy to make or stay on an NBA roster.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. If you're talking to me, I was referencing a different player though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "He got suspended for punching a player in the groin and has developed a reputation of being a bit reckless in that regard"

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/chimezie-metu
    great news

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like the pick. I'll like it even better if we sign him to a two way contract and see if we can develop him this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don't know about all of that. I think he can develop into a good 5 man, particularly on defense, one of his scouting strengths was his ability to block and alter shots. It sounds also like he is also mobile enough to potentially hedge or switch out on the perimeter, in time.

Athletically; he has the highest max vert of any 4 or 5 in this year's draft, at 36 inches (7 inches better than his no step jump, suggesting that he's an explosive leaper) which is what I've seen in his video's.

The defensive side is where Metu's impact is the most consistent right now, as he blocked 3.2 shots per 40 minutes, pace adjusted. Metu does a good job of maintaining verticality to prevent himself from picking up unnecessary fouls around the basket, although he still has difficulty staying out of foul trouble due to touch fouls on the perimeter. Metu seems like he has the type of build that his standing reach should be more in line with his height than his wingspan is, as his slender shoulders do him no service with the latter.

That will help his chances if indeed the case, and he has excellent timing, a superb second jump, and shows good pursuit as a weakside shot blocker off the ball. Metu's defensive contributions aren't just limited to altering shots around the rim, however, as he moves his feet exceptionally well for a player his size, something that not only allows him to defend either frontcourt position, but also helps defend the pick and roll, allowing him to hedge and recover on pick and rolls or just flat-out switch defensive assignments, traits that are extremely valued at the next level. His instincts on the perimeter still need some work, and he can get caught being overly aggressive in his rotations and be prone to mistakes, but the defensive base is intriguing, to say the least. - Source:
    ?http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...ie-Metu-72494/ ©DraftExpress

Offensively, I think he's shown enough to suggest that he could at least become a decent 3pt shooter (went 12/40 last season, 30 %, a couple of made 3's away from shooting an above average clip) though the Spurs haven't exactly been proactive in letting big- save for Pau- shoot out there.

He might only end up being a pick and pop type of big but that's fine, if he's good at it, Metu also looks like he could be a lob threat on rolls to the basket and apparently has good hands-which helps.

Metu has solid handles but that should only be used to counter closeouts- pump-fake, put it on the floor and beat his man off the dribble, to the basket. He looks like he has a floater-like shot within a few feet of the rim and a decent post game.

I think the hope is that he develops into a upper or lower middle-class version of Serge Ibaka and I don't think that's insane. It tends to take athletic big's longer to develop into useful players (Dedmon, Chandler, McGee, Ibaka- depending on if you think he's six years older than his listed age like the rumors) He's barely 21, even if it takes him 3 years to put it together, he'll be only 24 then.

On a side note, I am curious to see if they try to give him a DeJuan Blair type deal (4 year deal, each year non-guaranteed but will be an unrestricted free agent at 25).

That would be a pretty good idea, in my opinion. Spurs shouldn't have a roster crunch this season with at least 10 players back (Parker [probably back], Murray, Mills, Green, Anderson [probably back], Bertans (probably back), LMA, Walker, White, Pau)

with Manu (retirement), Forbes (trash), Joff (apparently opting out), Paul (non-guarantee), and Gay (ring chasing) still up in the air with 3 or 4 of the 5 probably gone. Even if they bring Milutinov over; they would still have an open roster spot, or two, open.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He has the highest max vert of any 4 or 5 at the combine (36 inches)

Walker has a 40 inch max vert in addition to his 6'10 1/2 wing span

Thread Information