Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow. He can move his feet on defense.
    Did you not see him keep up with Klay Thompson in PO's? Aren't you the same guy who said Kyle Anderson>Brandon Ingram?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are right and frankly the general comment I reference wasn't made by you so I apologize for confusion. Last night a few fans made a similar comment but going completely the other way. How 4 year deals don't make sense, how it was best to preserve space for next summer, how The Spurs are likely getting forwards back in trade for Kawhi, basically concluding that a 4 year deal for Kyle didn't make sense and that he didn't fit The timeline of a team that was in a crisis and getting players back likely playing his position (an assumption)

Looking back on this, you used almost similar words but concluded different.

The only difference is the amount in the respective contracts that's all.
    It’s all good. I wanted SA to match Kyle. Im ok that they didn’t - it’s not going to cripple SA or anything, but I preferred that they did.

I agree about contracts being short but that is more for the players that are older (Rudy, Danny, Beli). If they are younger like Kyle/Davis as long as they aren’t egregious I’m fine with longer deals.

This and Kyle’s deal would have both been tradeable. I’m still waiting to see the details because if it’s anything less than fully guaranteed then its a no brainer contract. Even if it is guaranteed it’s still just fine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Content with this, it's a small and movable contract and it's possible that not all of it is guaranteed. He has room for improvement and Spurs really need shooting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray/White
    Patty/Beli
    ?????/Danny
    Gay/Bertans
    LMA/Pau

That's essentially your 10man rotation (assuming Manu retires which is likely). It would make sense if Kawhi wasnt such a huge pussy but the fit is definitely murky with whatever you get back for him.

I guess Ingram or Covington make sense but damn that's a 8th-10th seed team tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey, he’s the best piece we got in the trade for George Hill...
    That's sad mosdef... Get the humor though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spur fans don't seem to understand how today's contracts work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm surprised a team hasn't asked more for him. Long, athletic, can shoot, and has decent lateral quickness. All this points to Derrick White getting significant minutes to me significantly more if Manu retires.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd feel a lot better about that roster if Kawhi wasn't a POS and they were able to trade Murray/Danny/1st for Kemba Walker tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's sad mosdef... Get the humor though.
    Given the way Hill’s game has fallen off it might be a draw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of yall acting like this is 20 mil a year lol its 5 and maybe even partially guaranteed. And then...everyone hated kyle because he was so reluctant to shoot yet, Bertans is the opposite of that and is still not wanted... lol

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    Good deal. I like it. Welcome back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Players with similar contracts - Glenn Robinson III, Kyle Singler, Patrick Patterson, etc.

Bertans will be good value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s all good. I wanted SA to match Kyle. Im ok that they didn’t - it’s not going to cripple SA or anything, but I preferred that they did.

I agree about contracts being short but that is more for the players that are older (Rudy, Danny, Beli). If they are younger like Kyle/Davis as long as they aren’t egregious I’m fine with longer deals.

This and Kyle’s deal would have both been tradeable. I’m still waiting to see the details because if it’s anything less than fully guaranteed then its a no brainer contract. Even if it is guaranteed it’s still just fine.
    Roger.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Davis, a lot better than throwing double that money at a non-shooter like Fathead tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray/White
    Patty/Beli
    ?????/Danny
    Gay/Bertans
    LMA/Pau

That's essentially your 10man rotation (assuming Manu retires which is likely). It would make sense if Kawhi wasnt such a huge pussy but the fit is definitely murky with whatever you get back for him.

I guess Ingram or Covington make sense but damn that's a 8th-10th seed team tbh...
    Well ya dude, losing Kawhi sucks and any team would take a blow. But, you can already see what SA is doing. They have Lonnie, White, Murray so they are building on the fly with youth around LMA.

All the other deals besides the young guys are 1 or 2 year. They project to have some serious cap space next year even if they don’t trade Mills.

I don’t know any team that could lose a Kawhi level player and still be more than a 8th to 10th seed. , OKC lost KD and still had Russ/PG and they weren’t any better and their cap situation, like HOU’s, is absolutely horrific.

People really need to do a reality check (not just you). I mean, I get it, this is a tough time, but SA was still a WCF when Kawhi wasn’t a b*tch and are in such a better spot than nearly every other team despite losing their superstar out of no where.

They actually already have some promising youth despite winning so much (HOU has none, NO has none, OKC has some), they are in a great spot cap wise moving forward to adjust/rebuild (HOU and OKC are totally boned, GS is boned) and they still have a chance to get some additional assets for Kawhi.

It’s not ideal but I honestly have no idea how people can be upset with SA overall. They aren’t perfect but if you compare them to damn near everyone else they look a of a lot more competent IMO.

Pau/Mills sucked and were bad decisions but even those were born out of loyalty and opportunity trying to win big for Kawhi/Lma. They came up empty while still adding youth and being really good, but even their bad (which to me, Pau/Mills are the only LEGIT gripes) was due to them trying to take the big swings that all of us asked them to do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd rather have Kyle than this bum tbh
    For nearly 2.5 times the price? No thanks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of yall acting like this is 20 mil a year lol its 5 and maybe even partially guaranteed. And then...everyone hated kyle because he was so reluctant to shoot yet, Bertans is the opposite of that and is still not wanted... lol
    Precisely. $5M a year for a player of Bertans' quality is a steal now, and will be even moreso in the third or fourth year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree, I think one of them was seen as a good defender (and secondary playmaker), and the other as a shooter, I think with Bertans signing and Bellinelli returning, Forbes is out, Anderson replacement is not yet on the team (or will be Blossomgame for its defensive potential)
    I also expect additional players to be signed. Blossomgame is a candidate. There may be others. Only the uncertainty with Kawhi makes me wonder if they are getting players back and want to keep some spots open.

I may be among the few who still thinks Kawhi doesn't get traded, but we'll see.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    85% of this board is re ed...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was expecting DB to a 3pt ace, but he hasn't cracked 40% yet

His 3G% dropped by 2%+ from 16-17 to 17-18

At very best he's avg at rebounds, shotblocker, defender, iow, not a hustler.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well ya dude, losing Kawhi sucks and any team would take a blow. But, you can already see what SA is doing. They have Lonnie, White, Murray so they are building on the fly with youth around LMA.

All the other deals besides the young guys are 1 or 2 year. They project to have some serious cap space next year even if they don’t trade Mills.

I don’t know any team that could lose a Kawhi level player and still be more than a 8th to 10th seed. , OKC lost KD and still had Russ/PG and they weren’t any better and their cap situation, like HOU’s, is absolutely horrific.

People really need to do a reality check (not just you). I mean, I get it, this is a tough time, but SA was still a WCF when Kawhi wasn’t a b*tch and are in such a better spot than nearly every other team despite losing their superstar out of no where.

They actually already have some promising youth despite winning so much (HOU has none, NO has none, OKC has some), they are in a great spot cap wise moving forward to adjust/rebuild (HOU and OKC are totally boned, GS is boned) and they still have a chance to get some additional assets for Kawhi.

It’s not ideal but I honestly have no idea how people can be upset with SA overall. They aren’t perfect but if you compare them to damn near everyone else they look a of a lot more competent IMO.

Pau/Mills sucked and were bad decisions but even those were born out of loyalty and opportunity trying to win big for Kawhi/Lma. They came up empty while still adding youth and being really good, but even their bad (which to me, Pau/Mills are the only LEGIT gripes) was due to them trying to take the big swings that all of us asked them to do.
    Deep, I'm with you on all fronts. I'm not upset at SA since Kawhi being one of the biggest es in sports history is not something you can really plan for...

I was more lamenting the fact that they'd still be good enough to be an 8th-10th seed instead of completely bottoming out like i'd want them to....and that's not really a realistic scenario since Pop isn't coaching a tanking team

I've been pretty damn happy with all the non-Kawhi related moves this offseason (drafting Lonnie, letting TP/Kyle walk, getting shooters like Beli/Bertans...) if you're looking at it with a lens of the FO being put in an impossible situation with the Kawhi saga v. not completely blowing it up...

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    85% of this board is re ed...
    Stop posting and that percentage will go down a ton.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray/White
    Patty/Beli
    ?????/Danny
    Gay/Bertans
    LMA/Pau

They will be fine.

It depends on how much improvement you get from Murray, and how White will be playing. I think white is an improvement over Forbes and Tony. They might get better production from their guards. Losing Manu will hurt, that's why Pop got Marco. (Not happy about that but whatever)

Your have to guess how Bertans would perform for a full season.

It's possible in the Kawhi trade you are getting a better player than Kyle to start. Have to take into account that Kawhi only played 9 games all last season and yo your team started Kyle. Depending on what you get from that spot is how many wins you add to last season.

Without Kawhi it's fought to feel optimistic, but have to see how the guards have progressed and what the Spurs get back for Kawhi.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why have like 3 or 4 people in this thread said Bertans is long?
    Height (w/o shoes): 6'9"
    Height (w/ shoes): 6'10.5"
    Wingspan: 6'10.25"
    were his 2011 hoop summit measurements. If anything that is short. Signing is Ok, but if choosing between him and Kyle, I would have chosen matching Kyle.
    consider:
    https://www.boxscoregeeks.com/player...64&season=2017

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stop posting and that percentage will go down a ton.

Thread Information