Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ya know, for a while i had cut the front office some slack for the bertans debacle because they couldn't control morris reneging on a deal.

but the only reason they were in that position where they had to move bertans to open up the MLE was because they first stupidly went out and sign demarre who cant even ing play. even in the worst case if morris reneged the way he did, we at least still would have had (and likely underutilized) bertans. that still falls on the FO for signing a guy that cant crack the rotation with MLE funds
    100% accurate

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Randomly popped up on my YT feed:

Holy the range, the ability to shoot off a dead run on set plays, stepbacks, fadeaways, pullups, the lightning quick release. We basically had a 6-11 Klay Thompson and Poop spent all of last year limiting him to 20 mpg and running plays to get looks for his pets Wombat and Forms instead. What a colossal failure by PATFO to have not realized what they had on their hands. I take solace in the fact that he'd still be underutilized and taking a backseat to Wombat and Forms if PATFO hadn't given him away.

I'm not even sure Morris is a clear cut better player at this point and Carroll sure as isn't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Randomly popped up on my YT feed:

Holy the range, the ability to shoot off a dead run on set plays, stepbacks, fadeaways, pullups, the lightning quick release. We basically had a 6-11 Klay Thompson and Poop spent all of last year limiting him to 20 mpg and running plays to get looks for his pets Wombat and Forms instead. What a colossal failure by PATFO to have not realized what they had on their hands. I take solace in the fact that he'd still be underutilized and taking a backseat to Wombat and Forms if PATFO hadn't given him away.

I'm not even sure Morris is a clear cut better player at this point and Carroll sure as isn't.
    yeah it's a pity how things panned out in regard to davis getting the boot from satx. it's the same ol' story though of no playing time and stick you in the corner strategy by pop. as much as i love pop he has major flaws when it comes to playing younger players even if he sees their upside.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Definitely one of the spurs fo biggest blunders in terms of development

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Given the direction the team is going in then next 2-3 year, do you honestly think the spurs would have paid the 18m per year starting next summer that it will take to keep him?

Obviously, F Markus Morris. But this also felt like another George Hill situation where the team loved the person but was hesitant to give the big pay day.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Given the direction the team is going in then next 2-3 year, do you honestly think the spurs would have paid the 18m per year starting next summer that it will take to keep him?

Obviously, F Markus Morris. But this also felt like another George Hill situation where the team loved the person but was hesitant to give the big pay day.

Nope. The Spurs would have paid Hill, without a doubt. They loved Kawhi more, and sending Hill was the only way to get him.

This time, they wanted both Carroll and Morris. They knew that they needed the entire MLE to be able to sign Morris (they thought). So they couldn't use any of their MLE to sign Carroll. They sent Bertans to the Wiz for a trade exception, which they used to sign Carroll, specifically so that they would have the whole MLE left for Morris. That's the long and short of it.

If they had kept Bertans, they would have still had the entire MLE open for Morris, so long as they didn't sign Carroll. They shipped Bertans for Carroll, who they don't even play. Colossal up.

You could say that they were worried about what they would have to pay to keep Bertans after this year. But the alternative was letting him walk for nothing, right? Well they shipped him out and got...nothing. Because a player that never gets on the floor is nothing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another up in a long list of them since 2017.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Another up in a long list of them since 2017.
    Brian Wright joined the Spurs in 2016. No coincidence that the Spurs have made nothing but bad moves ever since. Remember, Wright was responsible for the garbage haul we got back in the Kawhi trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brian Wright joined the Spurs in 2016. No coincidence that the Spurs have made nothing but bad moves ever since. Remember, Wright was responsible for the garbage haul we got back in the Kawhi trade.
    Oh, geez, how much did Pop pay you to post that? Lol The person responsible for the Leonard trade is Gregg Popovich, with a little help from Buford.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope. The Spurs would have paid Hill, without a doubt. They loved Kawhi more, and sending Hill was the only way to get him.

This time, they wanted both Carroll and Morris. They knew that they needed the entire MLE to be able to sign Morris (they thought). So they couldn't use any of their MLE to sign Carroll. They sent Bertans to the Wiz for a trade exception, which they used to sign Carroll, specifically so that they would have the whole MLE left for Morris. That's the long and short of it.

If they had kept Bertans, they would have still had the entire MLE open for Morris, so long as they didn't sign Carroll. They shipped Bertans for Carroll, who they don't even play. Colossal up.

You could say that they were worried about what they would have to pay to keep Bertans after this year. But the alternative was letting him walk for nothing, right? Well they shipped him out and got...nothing. Because a player that never gets on the floor is nothing.
    Hindsight is always 2020. We can easily be looking at scenario where the desired/intended transaction, you know, actually became the transaction everyone bargained for before Morris’s made reneging.

And, then i think it’s a much closer call. On the spurs Morris is closer to what he was on The Celtics than on the putrid Knicks. As for Bert, even with it being a contract year and he being on chucking team with low pressure, I don’t think anyone saw this coming last summer. Good for him; he deserves to get paid!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking at Bertans shoot now is like looking at happy dog off his leash doing wtf ever an when wtf ever it wants. Way to go Spurs, way to go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always said he was a SHOOTING forward but Popovich play him at the 4 position as "spacer" PF. He played the SF all his career in Europe. One more thing everybody in the NBA will notice soon: he's not a bad defender when he matches with opp SFs or even big SGs. He's too weak to guard big man or real power forwards and he's not the presence you need to protect the rim as primary helper in a penetration but he's quite good rotating and helping out coming from the perimeter. Because he's very fast for his size and length and he can move his feet quickly and jump.

One of the most clear cases of playing somebody in the wrong position I've ever seen. He should be our starting SF next to DeRozan and Murray insted of Forbes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always said he was a SHOOTING forward but Popovich play him at the 4 position as "spacer" PF. He played the SF all his career in Europe. One more thing everybody in the NBA will notice soon: he's not a bad defender when he matches with opp SFs or even big SGs. He's too weak to guard big man or real power forwards and he's not the presence you need to protect the rim as primary helper in a penetration but he's quite good rotating and helping out coming from the perimeter. Because he's very fast for his size and length and he can move his feet quickly and jump.

One of the most clear cases of playing somebody in the wrong position I've ever seen. He should be our starting SF next to DeRozan and Murray insted of Forbes.
    Many of us have been here saying the exact same thing. Pop tends to go against common sense many times.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He comes across to me as a modern day Detlef Shrempf. Same height and similar game except he has a quicker release.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Pop just loves to play players out of position. I was confused when he said he sees him as a PF rather than an SF when Bertans first got here, considering he played SF in Europe and players in the NBA have even more size. Davis also defended Z-Bo quite well in that 2017 Grizzlies series. Crazy that Pop wanted to ship him out just cause he couldn't guard Milsap

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Many of us have been here saying the exact same thing. Pop tends to go against common sense many times.

The thing about Pop playing guys out of position is, sometimes it works, sometimes it fails.

The problem Pop has is not acknowledging when it has failed, and returning the player to their most comfortable, best position for the betterment of the player AND the team. He stubbornly does a huge disservice by continuing the square peg round hole thingy.

He at ude is if it doesn’t work, it’s because YOU are useless and can’t figure it out (ie Bertans constantly in the doghouse).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

https://www.nba.com/video/2020/01/10...medium=twitter
    Last edited by ace3g; 01-10-2020 at 08:26 PM.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop just loves to play players out of position. I was confused when he said he sees him as a PF rather than an SF when Bertans first got here, considering he played SF in Europe and players in the NBA have even more size. Davis also defended Z-Bo quite well in that 2017 Grizzlies series. Crazy that Pop wanted to ship him out just cause he couldn't guard Milsap

It made me wonder if Pop had even watched video of him.

Bertans and Bourousis played off each other very well. A buddy of mine swears that Bourousis wanted to come to the NBA, and the Spurs in particular, and the Spurs could have had him at a reasonable price. Didn't make as much sense with Bertans being a PF, but the pair of them could have made a big difference.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would be criminal if he doesn't get invited this year. Then again it was criminal that he wasn't invited last year. He was leading the league in 3PT% heading into the all-star game last year, IIRC.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    invited to 3 point contest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    invited to 3 point contest.
    Link?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    i don't think they've made it known publicly yet.

Thread Information