Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    He came to MLS when he was 26. He had already won a Superliga championship in Argentina and a Taca de Portugal with Porto.
    Yeah, by that age he was already done. Dude, I'm not lying, Valeri was a bench warmer when he went to the US, that's the only reason he went there in the first place. Look it up.

My Team
    Portland Timbers
    Post Count
    Yeah, by that age he was already done. Dude, I'm not lying, Valeri was a bench warmer when he went to the US, that's the only reason he went there in the first place. Look it up.
    I just looked it up aaaaaaand .... you're lying.

His best year with Lanus was 2011/2012 and he moved MLS in 2013.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    Juventus FC
    Post Count
    CONCACAF Champions league champs:

2018 - Chivas (MX)
    2017 - Pachuca (MX)
    2016 - America (MX)
    2015 - America (MX)
    2014 - Cruz Azul (MX)
    2013 - Monterrey (MX)
    2012 - Monterrey (MX)
    2011 - Monterrey (MX)
    2010 - Pachuca (MX)
    2009 - Atlante (MX)
    2008 - Pachuca (MX)
    2007 - Pachuca (MX)
    2006 - America (MX)
    2005 - Saprissa (CR)

tacular
    SchlongII
    Minor League SOCCER

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    I just looked it up aaaaaaand .... you're lying.

His best year with Lanus was 2011/2012 and he moved MLS in 2013.
    What about the 2012-13 season with Lanus, son? How did he do there?

And no, Valeri's best seasons with Lanus, were in his first stint with that club, circa 2007-09. By his second stint, he was already washed up.

My Team
    Portland Timbers
    Post Count
    What about the 2012-13 season with Lanus, son? How did he do there?

And no, Valeri's best seasons with Lanus, were in his first stint with that club, circa 2007-09. By his second stint, he was already washed up.
    He wanted out in the 2012-13 season. He wanted a better place to raise his daughter. It has nothing to do with him being washed up.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    He wanted out in the 2012-13 season. He wanted a better place to raise his daughter. It has nothing to do with him being washed up.

My Team
    Portland Timbers
    Post Count

My Team
    Portugal
    Post Count

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count
    MLS will be right there with the top Euro teams within 15 years.
    Doubtful.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    --- Clubs
    Post Count
    The best athletes in the US don’t play soccer. We will NEVER be top notch unless this changes.

1. Football
    2. Basketball
    3. Hockey and Baseball

American fans who follow soccer passionately see the improvement in the MLS, but it is horribly difficult to watch.
    The game was not meant to be viewed on TV if it is not played well. The MLS does not have players that display the technical ability of the big European leagues, it’s starkly bad. If the skills are not present, it’s very difficult to mold a team that can adjust to a variety of situations, , they don’t really even need to. They are not even good enough to allow the viewer some simple plays that require little skill, but great off the ball movement. There is no relative play pattern for comparison. When a great team can perform a beautifully simple play... MLS has no pattern of intricate play to make a simple play set up by position and movement look beautiful.

Imo there is a threshold of bad that makes the game unwatchable. The MLS is unwatchable. The Mexican league can be watchable because they very rarely press, so the players have a ton of time on the ball which is deceiving. The dudes just don’t run hard on the whole.

Even the WC games don’t match the top league games because they have not gelled as a team. We see much better team play in league games, but not the passion to run the legs off. 38-40 league games with various tournaments is arduous. So we see some minor cup games involving B teams that are uninteresting unless you want to focus on some up and coming individual.

-American view

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count
    that the got OP thinks there are eight "best" leagues in the first place.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count
    Too many ty CONCACAF non-American players nowadays. MLS used to have restrictions b/c consumers don't want to see that .

americans should stop playing football (it's not soccer) after landon donovan retired.

freddy adu were new pele lol.

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    Mexico
    Post Count
    Top Tier Leagues:
    Spanish 1st Division - La Liga
    English 1st Division - Premier League
    Italian 1st Division - Serie A
    German 1st Division - Bundesliga

Second Tier Leagues:
    French 1st Division - Ligue 1
    Dutch 1st Division - Eredivisie
    Portuguese 1st Division - La Liga Portuguesa

Third Tier Leagues:
    Turkish 1st Division - Super Lig
    Russian 1st Division - Russian Premier
    Argentinean 1st Division
    Mexican 1st Division - Liga MX
    Brazillian 1st Division
    Belgian 1st Division
    Polish 1st Division
    Scottish 1st Division

Everyone Else...

My Team
    Mexico
    Post Count
    I can't see the MLS as having displaced any of those leagues tbh.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count
    Third Tier Leagues:
    Turkish 1st Division - Super Lig
    Russian 1st Division - Russian Premier
    Argentinean 1st Division
    Mexican 1st Division - Liga MX
    Brazillian 1st Division
    Belgian 1st Division
    Polish 1st Division
    Scottish 1st Division

Everyone Else...
    You pretty much naming all the divisions below MLS. Anybody in those divisions that are better are heading for the big leagues or at least taking a better pay check in MLS.

Veteran
    My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    I would even put the 2. Bundesliga over the MLS.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Lmao Ibra had a hat trick while napping

Veteran
    My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    And there "All-Star" team lost to the D-team of Juventus.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    You pretty much naming all the divisions below MLS. Anybody in those divisions that are better are heading for the big leagues or at least taking a better pay check in MLS.
    You are seriously delusional if you trully think leagues like the Argie, the Brazilian or the Mexican are behind the MLS.

First, try winning a continental cup over a Mexican team before claiming to be better than them.

Second, it doesn't matter how many over the hill former stars you get to play on the MLS, untill the average level of the league is risen, those ex-big name players won't make a difference. Heck, you can get Messi and Ronaldo to play on the MLS and the MLS will still suck ass, because the rest of the players are two or three notchs below the average level of play of other leagues. It would be like getting Lebron and Durant to play on the Chinese basketball league (lol Jimmer). (Actually that's a great analogy, tbh. Thinking the MLS is better than SouthAmerican football leagues just because they sign former stars, is like thinking the Chinese basketball league is better than European basketball leagues, because they sign former NBA players).

Competion is still not there on the MLS. It will take years and years to reach the heights of leagues like the Argie, Mexican or Brazilian.
    Last edited by DAF86; 08-02-2018 at 12:23 PM.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count
    You are seriously delusional if you trully think leagues like the Argie, the Brazilian or the Mexican are behind the MLS.

First, try winning a continental cup over a Mexican team before claiming to be better than them.

Second, it doesn't matter how many over the hill former stars you get to play on the MLS, untill the average level of the league is risen, those ex-big name players won't make a difference. Heck, you can get Messi and Ronaldo to play on the MLS and the MLS will still suck ass, because the rest of the players are two or three notchs below the average level of play of other leagues. It would be like getting Lebron and Durant to play on the Chinese basketball league (lol Jimmer). (Actually that's a great analogy, tbh. Thinking the MLS is better than SouthAmerican football leagues just because they sign former stars, is like thinking the Chinese basketball league is better than European basketball leagues, because they sign former NBA players).

Competion is still not there on the MLS. It will take years and years to reach the heights of leagues like the Argie, Mexican or Brazilian.
    Mexican League is top heavy. The argument isn't who's done better in international compe ions, which the MLS doesn't really give much a crap about, or I'd go with the Mexican League. Top to the bottom, MLS is just better. Mexican League full of dirt teams.

And I'm not arguing that MLS is that good; so your "analogy" argument is just misguided. I've argued it's vs. the whole time, which makes it funny to me that some of ya'll are so adamant about a,b,c,x,y,z being better. The good players in those minnow leagues leave as fast as a jet. MLS has more continuity, higher morale, a better product, etc; and it has a lot of room for growth that those minnow leagues just don't generally have.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    Juventus FC
    Post Count
    All these walls of texts and absolutely no proof that MLS teams can hang with Liga MX teams. The CONCACAF Champions league is a Liga MX tournament tbh

My Team
    Mexico
    Post Count
    How many times have MLS teams won the Champions league?

And if it were true that the Mexican league is top heavy then the same teams would always win. The fact is the Mexican League has had 10 different club teams win at least 4 championships - that's pretty diversified and far more compe ive than say La Liga or the English Premier.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    Mexican League is top heavy. The argument isn't who's done better in international compe ions, which the MLS doesn't really give much a crap about, or I'd go with the Mexican League. Top to the bottom, MLS is just better. Mexican League full of dirt teams.

And I'm not arguing that MLS is that good; so your "analogy" argument is just misguided. I've argued it's vs. the whole time, which makes it funny to me that some of ya'll are so adamant about a,b,c,x,y,z being better. The good players in those minnow leagues leave as fast as a jet. MLS has more continuity, higher morale, a better product, etc; and it has a lot of room for growth that those minnow leagues just don't generally have.
    You trully are one delusional , tbh.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count
    How many times have MLS teams won the Champions league?

And if it were true that the Mexican league is top heavy then the same teams would always win. The fact is the Mexican League has had 10 different club teams win at least 4 championships - that's pretty diversified and far more compe ive than say La Liga or the English Premier.
    You're talking historical. It's a very top heavy league nowadays. It's a good league for preparing their national team; nobody from non ty concacaf countries or SA flunkies are transferring there. Come to terms.

Thread Information